★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Question about Frenzic...

11-20-2008, 05:01 AM
Question about Frenzic...

I bought Frenzic for the iPhone yesterday, and have so far found it to be a rather frustrating experience - and unfortunately, not in a good way.

I'll tell you why I say this. I would have *assumed* the pieces that appear in the centre circle are randomly chosen. But I would also *assume* that there would be some kind of "smart randomness" in operation here, so that every piece that appears CAN be put in at least ONE of the outer circles.
But this would not appear to be the case.

I've taken a screenshot of an example of this:

As you can see, I have a top pie-piece in the centre circle which I have to place somewhere.
But as you can also see from the outer circles, all the top sections are already filled. That means I can't do anything with this piece, and I am forced to lose a life.

What kind of puzzle game, or any game for that matter, forces the player to lose a life because of the game's own settings, rather than an error on the player's part?

Am I doing something wrong? Or is this just how the game works. Is it just purely and utterly random, with no logic determining the pieces at all...?

Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth Parachute Panic Chicken Raid
Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox
11-20-2008, 05:04 AM
lol thats why you have to take care in deciding where to place each piece. If every piece was "fitable" then there wouldn't be much point in calling the game a "puzzle" game. it would be a touch and select reaction game in that case.
11-20-2008, 05:08 AM
As far as I know that's something you have to handle: let open spaces as much as possible. Nuke bonus may help you in such situation.
11-20-2008, 05:39 AM
Hmm, yes, well... To me, calling it a puzzle game implies that it's based on logic, rather than randomness.
The dictionary defines puzzle as a problem designed to amuse by presenting difficulties to be solved by ingenuity or effort.
Maybe I've still got to crack this "logic"...

I'm just not overly thrilled when I see a gameplay situation appear on the screen, and knowing that there's absolutely nothing I can do about it - no matter how quick I am, or how hard I think...
I just have to sit there and watch the timer run down and knock a life out of my reserve bank...

11-20-2008, 06:00 AM
OK, OK, so I guess the "logic" goes like this...

*IF*, for example, I had taken the bottom pie piece from circle #1 below, and had instead earlier placed it in circle #2, then circle #2 would have been totally cleared, meaning that I could have placed the top pie piece from the centre circle in here. Right?

Meh... that's still not *really* a game based on logic though, is it? Because we can't predict what pie piece will come up in the centre circle (obviously!), we can't *logically* place our previous pieces.
Puzzle implies working with logic, and working with logic implies working with known factors.

As such, I wouldn't strictly call it a puzzle game - I'd say it's part-puzzle, part-chance.

At least in Tetris you get an advance mini preview of what the next piece to appear is going to be... That helps your logic in determining where to place pieces.