★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: How can a player determine legitimate from bogus promised update claims?

05-20-2009, 03:11 PM
How can a player determine legitimate from bogus promised update claims?

Hey Gang,

Let me start this thread off with an apology to VoodooVyper. While I'm still not a fan of his methods in this regard, it did get me thinking for a while on this topic.

One of the cool aspects of a lot of this near independent iphone game development is getting to interact with many of the developers on an almost personal basis and hear what they have up their sleeves for the next update of their game. As much as I love this, I know firsthand in my work with Chronosoft, if a developer were to TRULY followup with all of their users' feature requests and questions, when just a little one man operation, no new coding would ever get done.

My question is, how OTHER THAN going VoodooVyper's route of frequent emails, do you know if the developer is hard at work on a new promised update or that, possibly, they've already closed up shop entirely?

This is really more a philosophical discussion I guess, but just something maybe some devs could chime in on.

How best can we fanatical consumers keep up-to-date without getting annoying or being BSed ourselves with just the information we'd LIKE to hear?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
05-20-2009, 03:13 PM
wait, wait, and wait... Do not buy the app and just see where it goes. There is no use in buying an incomplete game

05-20-2009, 03:13 PM
thats an interesting question. I'd love to be able to see on iTunes which apps are in review etc.
They say that theres a queue for submitted apps. I wish we could see that. Do the developers of apps get to see it?
05-20-2009, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maythius View Post
wait, wait, and wait... Do not buy the app and just see where it goes. There is no use in buying an incomplete game
With no revenue coming in most of the indie games we love would have never been completed. Sometimes a dev has to but together a no frills version of the game at a discount in order to fund the development of no features.

----

I prefer seeing devs on twitter who post about their progress.

David from critical thought games (devs of geodefense) does a great job of posting every so often about what was being worked on.
05-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maythius View Post
I hear you, but even that is INCREDIBLY subjective. iDracula was, for all intents and purposes, a complete game but the BIGGEST reason it felt so incomplete was the programmer themselves listing all of the stuff they planned on adding in the big update. I had faith More Games would deliver but, I actually could understand VoodooVyper, who felt burned from them in the past, being SURE they were just blowing smoke yet again.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
05-20-2009, 03:24 PM
Basically -- mostly you can't know whenever dev's want to provide the update but they can't cause the app just not *clicked* (from the financial point of view) and whenever they just lied up front to see if it'll catch hoping if it will then they'll think about how to deliver what they promised. Mostly when I buy a game which have more promises than actual content I just do it to encourage the dev's (like in the case of Pocket God or few other smaller titles). I think it is better not to buy "dreams" for yourself but buy them for others ;-) That way you'll never be dissapointed but you can be only pleasingly surprised :-)

Cheers,
f.
05-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomik View Post
I think it is better not to buy "dreams" for yourself but buy them for others ;-) That way you'll never be dissapointed but you can be only pleasingly surprised :-)
+253482374905823973642374859

Purely because that was the most optimistic thing I've ever seen on these boards in the 10 months of been a member here
05-20-2009, 03:40 PM
- Be patient.
- Do your research.
- Know what you want.
- Be very selective in what you decide to get.
- Don't expect the world so you you have no regrets.
- Be satisfied.
-
05-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSon View Post
- Be patient.
- Do your research.
- Know what you want.
- Be very selective in what you decide to get.
- Don't expect the world so you you have no regrets.
- Be satisfied.
-
+1

Also see read the reviews and check the version you can tell on itunes.
05-20-2009, 03:43 PM
track record. Thats how you know if they are just blowing wind or actually going to follow through...