★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Mental block after $2.99

11-20-2008, 09:27 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Mental block after $2.99

Does anyone else have this almost aribitrary mentality where it's okay to buy an application for $2.99, but anything over that has to be a really special app. I won't buy games for over that sum unless they're something I really desire i.e. Monkey Ball and Soccer '09, but I shouldn't have that much a problem spending $4.99 for programs like Kroll (which I did buy and din't like) Clusterball (which I'm waiting to drop further) like I am right now. Clusterball is only 2 more dollars than $2.99, but for some reason that's enough to make me wait even more.

Just wondering if $2.99 is anyone else's limit on their comfort zone or whatever you want to call it.
11-20-2008, 09:45 AM
$1-2 is fine for just out of curiosity. (eg. Aqua Hoops, Flick Bowling, Expando)
Upto $5-6: It'd have to be something that I have been wanting for a long time (eg. FastLane or Fieldrunners)
Upto $10: Has to be a real must-have or offer something completely unique from anything else. (eg. SmartTime Plus, SuperMonkeyBall, X-Plane)

After spending $10 on Star Wars and Spore, and only playing them once every blue moon, and having sampled some great games at a dollar or free (Trace, Jellycar, Galcon Lite), I am more careful with buying brand name games now. Will have to evaluate NFS:Undercover carefully when it's out.

11-20-2008, 09:48 AM
That's the impression I've been getting from a number of people, though I'm on the developers side of things. Hopefully my take on the idea goes over well.

| Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment | Mike @ Twitter |

Smiles HD for Mac and iPad | Smiles for iPhone/iPod touch (Twitter, Website)
IGF Mobile "Best Game" Finalist | Intel "Elegance in Design" Winner
11-20-2008, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vende View Post
Does anyone else have this almost aribitrary mentality where it's okay to buy an application for $2.99, but anything over that has to be a really special app. I won't buy games for over that sum unless they're something I really desire i.e. Monkey Ball and Soccer '09, but I shouldn't have that much a problem spending $4.99 for programs like Kroll (which I did buy and din't like) Clusterball (which I'm waiting to drop further) like I am right now. Clusterball is only 2 more dollars than $2.99, but for some reason that's enough to make me wait even more.

Just wondering if $2.99 is anyone else's limit on their comfort zone or whatever you want to call it.
I think it depends on the game and the value you perceive on it. I would buy a $9.99 game if I think it's worth it. But, then again, if I like to try out a game and it's $9.99 I would totally balk at the price. I'll rather wait for a free lite version which I don't usually end up buying anyway?

Also, maybe it depend on your mood. Sometime, if I just bought a $0.99 game, I'll keep buying some games that I have been eye-ing for awhile even though the price is way beyond my $0.99 budget. Impulse buying?

Or maybe, it's just me.. he he.

A good sword remain inside its sheath
A good M16 remain in safe mode
God! So, many games n so little money!!
11-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by along123 View Post
Also, maybe it depend on your mood. Sometime, if I just bought a $0.99 game, I'll keep buying some games that I have been eye-ing for awhile even though the price is way beyond my $0.99 budget. Impulse buying?

Or maybe, it's just me.. he he.
same as me, don't know why
also for some reason i feel like $2.99 is the limit to my comfort zone too, but that's only because i've bought so many games over that price that have disappointed me (although some haven't obviously)
11-20-2008, 05:42 PM
For me the limit is € 2,99. And even that amount is only ok, if the game has good graphics, sound and a fairly large scale. Simple puzzle games or games that only offer a basic amount of graphics and variation (like Fuzzle, Beecells) are not worth € 2,99 in my opinion. There are too much really good free/$1 games available, to justify buying that kind of games for € 2,99.

For games lacking one of those requirements my limit is € 0,79 (=$1) or maybe € 1,59 if I really want the app for some reason.

Very few games like Fieldrunners 1.1 (or Solar Quest and Galcon) are actually worth more than € 2,99 to me. But even for those really good games my limit is something like € 5. If they want € 8-12 from me, they have to provide more than 4 towers, 2 upgrades per tower and 2 levels. Puzzle Quest and the upcoming SquareEnix tower defense game are the only games I can imagine to pay that much at the moment.

Last edited by gnadenlos; 11-20-2008 at 05:44 PM.
11-20-2008, 05:50 PM
I would tend to agree, although some games/apps that really capture my imagination (or that I've been waiting for) will warrant purchasing at a price above that. The vast majority of my apps are $2.99 or less.

The exceptions being things like Fieldrunners, Quick Draw, Super Monkey Ball, Asphalt 4, Virtual Pool and even something like Beatmaker at $19.99. And IMHO all have been worth it.
11-20-2008, 06:57 PM
Games I haven't bought because they are still to expensive:

- Brain Challenge 5,99 - I already own it for XBOX 360 - to much for a second buy
- Loopy Laboratory 3,99 - to much for the 10th puzzle game of that kind
- Masyu 0,79 each - I don't like how they split the levels up in 3 apps
- Puzzloop 5,99 - to much compared to Blackbeared's Assault
- Reign of Swords 5,99 - to much for a cheap port
- Fleck 3,99 - to much for a quite simple puzzle game
- Shanghai Mahjong 3,99 - not good enough to rise my 2,99 limit
- Mahjong Solitaire 7,99 - not smooth enough for premium pricing
- Smiles 3,99 - yet another >2,99 puzzle game
- Rescue Angels 500 3,99 - not enough variation for > 1,79
- Subway Shuffle 2,39 - I don't like it enough, to pay more than 1,79 for it
- Theseus 2,99 - cheap graphics and controls -> 0,79

All these developers could have my money if they would lower their prices.
11-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Hear, hear on the icky Masyu pricing scheme. There are plenty of games in the store that sound or look interesting, but are out of my price range. I suppose a few months of the market has made me pretty jaded, but at this point anything past $.99 for me would have to be something I felt very strongly about. Even then, certain apps are letdowns (like Spore, Galcon when it was $10, and yes, even Fieldrunners).

The market is pretty stiff for me at this point.
11-21-2008, 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by along123 View Post
I think it depends on the game and the value you perceive on it. I would buy a $9.99 game if I think it's worth it. But, then again, if I like to try out a game and it's $9.99 I would totally balk at the price. I'll rather wait for a free lite version which I don't usually end up buying anyway?
I've played afew "Lite" versions and ended up buying the full App: Black Mamba, Poker Dice, Expando, SmartTime, Spend, so for me, this is a workable sales technique.