Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-10-2014, 12:37 AM

Default Strife: Quest for the Sigil

Last edited by originalcopy; 03-14-2014 at 04:53 PM..
Old 01-10-2014, 03:22 AM

Wow, I played the hell out of this back in the day. It really was groundbreaking the way the took the FPS doom formula and combined it with rpg quality dialog and storyline.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:34 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Wowzers. Yeah, I consider this to be the first real FPS/RPG hybrid.
I played that years... eh - decades ago.

If the controls are fine, I'll buy that, of course.

Strife is a plot-driven first-person shooter that uses the Doom engine. Rather than taking the player through a linear series of levels, the game offers a continuous world with free-roaming elements and a central "hub" (the town), which the player can visit between missions and explore. Although there are no true role-playing elements in the game, it has several features rarely seen in contemporary FPSs: there are "friendly" areas where there are no enemies but people to talk to, stores where new equipment can be bought, and taverns where the latest gossip is told. The player can also purchase upgrades that permanently increase the player character's health bar.

The game has a branching storyline with a few paths that lead to three different endings. These paths are determined by a decision the player makes during the course of the plot.

Last edited by Vovin; 01-10-2014 at 04:37 AM..
Old 01-10-2014, 04:41 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

I advise against this game at current phase in development. Controls are no good on my iPod (maybe iPad would be different?); leaving me wondering if I just don't understand the game or are overlooking some design intent. There is a very narrow response region and it feels like you have to tap each time to move; there's not continuous motion. The UI feels like it only responds to discrete taps, not finger slides. The game seems to automatically quit responding to user direction - for example if you walk after about three steps you automatically stop and have to lift your finger to tap walk again, instead of being able to turn continuously I had to tap turn arrow 6 times to rotate 360 degrees since my character kept halting (maybe we're suppose to frantically tap to walk a straight line?). There are right/left arrows in the upper right that I can't get to respond to taps [Edit: The developer commented below these arrows are for weapon switching and inventory I likely hadn't acquired yet].

The control layout has two 4-directional button arrays in bottom left and right corners. Left buttons tap to move, only some of the right buttons respond at all (tap left button for menu, center to attack, and up to jump but right and down buttons seem unresponsive). Furthermore, the ingame menu ignores directional pad cues and relies on users taping menu words (which suggests some touch device implementation).

In game graphics seem as expected for a game of this era; there is 5G widescreen optimization and in game play looks scaled and natural (again suggesting some developer attention to iOS porting). An opening comic book style sequence with voiceover seem slightly pixelated (maybe due to age or native resolution; maybe slightly stretched for widescreen) but gameplay I saw did not suffer and game screen size is adjustable.

I believe Strife is "open source" in that there is no source code (supposedly lost by developer) but has persisted through fans adopting it into different engines (i.e. as a Doom mod - Doom being open source). With easy availability of content it's hard to tell if this is a lazy "port" with someone just dumping it into iOS or a serious attempt needing refinement. There are better iOS indie first person shooters that implement open source code material in a manner that feels natural on touch screen (like the Doomsday series) so it's boggling this Strife has such conflicting controls.

Last edited by undeadcow; 01-10-2014 at 09:23 AM..
Old 01-10-2014, 06:19 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Damn.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:20 AM

Hi UndeadCow, thank you for the review, yes, there´s some issues with the control scheme in this current version, and we've taken note of them, and already have an update being sent for review. Among the changes in the update the movement arrow keys will have continuous movement. I'm taking note of your sliding the finger to change direction suggestion, and will implement it too.

The left keypad is for movement, and the right keypad is for interaction. The top arrow key is for jumping, the bottom key for changing weapons, left key for menu, right key for using inventory. This key is also used for selecting your replies when you talk to an npc. It's also used for saving a game on a save slot. The keys in the upper corner are for scrolling your inventory items.

Like I said, there will be updates soon, one update regarding the keys is already on its way being tested. This is a serious effort, please have no doubts regarding this. Meanwhile, please try to enjoy the game the way it is, this isn't a fast-paced brainless game, where you mostly shoot at hordes of enemies attacking you. It's a slower game, with quests, dialog, and objectives.

Last edited by originalcopy; 01-10-2014 at 08:42 AM..
Old 01-10-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalcopy View Post
Hi UndeadCow, thank you for the review, yes, there´s some issues with the control scheme in this current version, and we've taken note of them, and already have an update being sent for review. Among the changes in the update the movement arrow keys will have continuous movement. I'm taking note of your sliding the finger to change direction suggestion, and will implement it too.

The left keypad is for movement, and the right keypad is for interaction. The top arrow key is for jumping, the bottom key for changing weapons, left key for menu, right key for using inventory. This key is also used for selecting your replies when you talk to an npc. It's also used for saving a game on a save slot. The keys in the upper corner are for scrolling your inventory items.

Like I said, there will be updates soon, one update regarding the keys is already on its way being tested. This is a serious effort, please have no doubts regarding this. Meanwhile, please try to enjoy the game the way it is, this isn't a fast-paced brainless game, where you mostly shoot at hordes of enemies attacking you. It's a slower game, with quests, dialog, and objectives.
The fact that you are thinking in terms of "keys" is problematic. Please spend sometime with any of the successful FPS on iOS and rethink your control system -- as it is right now it is thoroughly broken. Check out Neon Shadow as a good example.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
The fact that you are thinking in terms of "keys" is problematic. Please spend sometime with any of the successful FPS on iOS and rethink your control system -- as it is right now it is thoroughly broken. Check out Neon Shadow as a good example.
I just watched some gameplay videos on it, interesting. Well, when i say "keys" I mean virtual keys. I see that the movement in Neon Shadow is like many other FPSes, where there's a virtual dot that moves in any direction where your thumb moves. I based the movement setup on the wolf3d platinum controls scheme. I understand there needs to be refinements, and im working on them.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:08 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
This is a serious effort, please have no doubts regarding this.
I appreciate that, Strife is a worthy project that will hopefully come to be a good port on iOS. Your involvement on the forums goes a long way in showing that. I want Strife to work well on iOS.
Quote:
...there´s some issues with the control scheme in this current version... one update regarding the keys is already on its way being tested.
I wish there had been more transparency related to this if "issues" with the control scheme were know before release, it may have been advisable to delay launch because iOS Strife is hard to enjoy as is. Also, more screenshots might help better sell Strife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
The fact that you are thinking in terms of "keys" is problematic. Please spend sometime with any of the successful FPS on iOS and rethink your control system...
This struck me when playing, with the lack of continuous movement it felt more like a computer control scheme transplant than a touch device native one despite some touch screen based menu designs.
Quote:
I'm taking note of your sliding the finger to change direction suggestion, and will implement it too. ...the right keypad is for interaction... the bottom key for changing weapons... right key for using inventory.
What do the right/left arrows in the upper right hand corner do? I initially assumed that was to turn directions, or switch weapons but that left/right arrow doesn't respond yet.

Last edited by undeadcow; 01-10-2014 at 09:23 AM..
Old 01-10-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
I appreciate that, Strife is a worthy project that will hopefully come to be a good port on iOS. Your involvement on the forums goes a long way in showing that. I want Strife to work well on iOS.
Thank you, it will work well on ios, I can assure it.

Quote:
I wish there had been more transparency related to this if "issues" with the control scheme is a known issue, it may have been advisable to delay the release because iOS Strife is hard to enjoy as is.
Well, yeah, there were lots of delays in getting this release out, and I know it's not an excuse, but like I said, there's a release being tested that fixes this problem.

Quote:

What do the right/left arrows in the upper right hand corner do? I initially assumed that was to turn directions, or switch weapons but that left/right arrow doesn't respond yet.
They are for scrolling the items in your inventory left and right. Items like medkits, gold, ore, etc as you collect them.

Last edited by originalcopy; 01-10-2014 at 10:22 AM..