Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-22-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bool Zero View Post
Would be all over if the game was universal! With an iPad(3) as my only iDevice I just can't bring myself to play games in 2x zoom No matter how potentially good they are (with the exception of Kairosoft games which for the most part warrant breaking the rule). Will wait for impressions as this looks great but I just can't readily bite as it is not so much a matter of graphics but rather display quality, and most games (IMO) are annoying to play in zoom. Would love to hear what some of you that do buy this have to say about the game though and will definitely add to my wishlist!

To the devs: any chance of a universal update or iPad version?
There's a Lite version. You should try it.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:09 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by heringer View Post
There's a Lite version. You should try it.
Oh, cool, I saw Sanuku's post (obviously) with a label but no link to a lite version so I assumed it was a erroneous label on his part! Will definitely check it out!

... Still would like a iPad suited version though, hehe!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:40 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

Some quick and possibly dirty (and in retrospect, still rather lengthy) impressions: the game is unpolished (spelling errors here and there, and the UI and controls are not particularly user-friendly or intuitive), the graphics are not quite as retinafied as possible on these very nice screens of ours, there doesn't seem to be very much in the way of narrative beyond the backstory and quick descriptions for each mission, and the presentational values are very limited, but the actual game mechanics are very nice, and the game runs very well (with the possible exception of the enemy AI, which seems a little basic).

There is a choice of three classes for the captain, your main character, levels to be earned and passive abilities to be acquired and increased, and the card deck system that offers the main character an ever-growing arsenal of attacks, heals, debuffs, buffs, summons and other active abilities (the cards in the deck constitute all of the main character's active abilities). The card system also offers rather, if not very, deep customization possibilities, as new cards are earned along the way, and the deck can be customized at any time in between battles.

Beyond that, there are additional player units that all level and increase their stats and own abilities (not card-based, but based on their character archetypes/classes), as well as earn new abilities (with at least three active and two passive abilities for each unit). Additional warriors can be found along the way, and the units range from hulks (tank dudes) and sword-wielding close-combat warriors, to marines and long-distance shooters. There might be support units further along into the game as well.

There are also items to be equipped for all characters, and these boost armor, hp, stamina (used for abilities), offer healing, etc.

The actual battles are smooth and quick and short, fought on small maps, and little or nothing in the ways of terrain bonuses, line of sight mechanics, squad formations, and the other deep tactical options TBS fans often seek (and find in brilliant iOS TBS titles such as Ravenmark and Final Fantasy Tactics).

However, with the large number of abilities (the captain has a whole host of abilities thanks to the card system, but all other warriors have a a good number of options in combat as well, once leveled up a few levels), and at least a few status effects (slow, daze, etc), battles are still fun, tactical, at least sometimes varied, and occasionally rather skill-based (though I can just imagine how fun LostStar Tactics would have been with above-mentioned terrain bonuses, line of sight mechanics, and other hardcore TBS systems).

Enemies also differ in style and abilities, from close-combat melee types and auto-fire assault droids, to sniper-based troops. This means that the player has to adapt and alter her tactics, and make use of strengths and enemy weaknesses in traditional but welcome TBS fashion. I wouldn't be surprised to see enemy support classes who buff and heal further into the game. And perhaps other kinds beyond that.

I am rather fond of the game's stamina mechanics. Depending on circumstances (attacks previously used, items, etc), units can sometimes perform as many attacks or abilities as they have the stamina for, and are not limited to one action per turn. Always liked the "action point" system over traditional one action per turn mechanics. In this way, battles become more dynamic and varied, and the system encourages character builds which combine different abilities on the same turn, and to select abilities with stamina costs in mind.

Furthermore, since all units can move once per turn before performing an attack or activating an ability, some attacks and abilities are limited to turns in which the unit has not moved at all, and some can be used after walking, but not after running. This adds another small layer of tactical choices and considerations, limits some of the more powerful abilities, and ties in with the resting mechanics (units recover more stamina, and possibly also health, when not moving or performing any kind of attack or ability).

There is a rather thorough reference manual of status effects and basic concepts, and a basic tutorial, and together, they will probably lower and smooth out the learning curve for those who find the game hard to grasp at first.

Shops turn up along the way, where new cards can be acquired by trading in old cards and riches found along the way. There are also blue and yellow keys which unlock special areas.

Every battle can also be fought in five different difficulties/modes, each offering different rewards (cards, new warriors, items and keys). This greatly prolongs the playtime, and means that there is plenty to replay and repeat for those who enjoy the gri... uhm, near-infinite play The most difficult of these modes are quite the challenge, and offer something to work towards for those who either like to train their party members to absurd levels, or who really appreciate a tactical challenge.

The cliche might already be evident in my assessment above, but to me LostStar Tactics has this diamond in the rough thing going. It bodes well for future releases from James Pawliuk, but also means that this is a nice and rather deep game (and rather addictive, in that just-one-more-battle-and-some-loot-and-xp-for-my-guys iconic sort of way), once we struggle past the indie mire of limited presentational values and lack of polish. TBS fans probably will buy it, or already have, but the rest of you should take a look as well. The game is approachable enough that non-veterans of the turn-based genre will probably have a rather easy time with the game as well (the initially possibly intimidating stats and numbers notwithstanding), and lots of fun. There is a lite version, and it revealed enough of the game for me to part with two (hopefully honestly earned) dollars, in spite of the promise of much good stuff hitting the App Store tomorrow night (Empire of the Eclipse, Defender Chronicles II, perhaps Pocket Heroes as well).

Now... asynchronous online multiplayer (either tied in to the main campaign, or as a separate online mode, but with all the leveling, items, etc, plus a level playing field mode with equal forces (possibly with a point buy system for units before the battles)), pretty please devs with sugar on top?

Last edited by Ayjona; 05-22-2012 at 11:52 PM..
Old 05-22-2012, 11:48 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bool Zero View Post
Would be all over if the game was universal! With an iPad(3) as my only iDevice I just can't bring myself to play games in 2x zoom No matter how potentially good they are (with the exception of Kairosoft games which for the most part warrant breaking the rule). Will wait for impressions as this looks great but I just can't readily bite as it is not so much a matter of graphics but rather display quality, and most games (IMO) are annoying to play in zoom. Would love to hear what some of you that do buy this have to say about the game though and will definitely add to my wishlist!

To the devs: any chance of a universal update or iPad version?
at least on my ipad 2, it looks pretty good... it's how you'd expect to see a SNES game on a TV... with pixels, but in a good way.

BTW: Loving the Captain unit... uses a deck of cars instead of the normal attacks everyone else uses... the Captain is definitely a very versatile unit.... Although i did pick the versatility team at the start...

Anyways this looks ways better than Tac War on 2x mode... And so far so good... really diggin this game... and i put over 30 hours into TacWar...
Old 05-23-2012, 01:48 AM

Default Game Impressions

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Old 05-23-2012, 05:42 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

It's by Tactical Warrior's dev... That's the only information I need instabuy
Old 05-23-2012, 07:27 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

I think Loststar Tactics is definitely more refined than Tactical Warrior... Loving it so far.

Quick question - I'm in the store and I see these items that I have at the bottom (2 of them are yellow, 1 of them pink). They look like Gems and have a value of 1, also there is no description. I could barter them but not sure what they are, so....

Any ideas?
Old 05-23-2012, 09:49 AM

This game should be getting more buzz. It's great.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:25 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzmaname View Post
I think Loststar Tactics is definitely more refined than Tactical Warrior... Loving it so far.

Quick question - I'm in the store and I see these items that I have at the bottom (2 of them are yellow, 1 of them pink). They look like Gems and have a value of 1, also there is no description. I could barter them but not sure what they are, so....

Any ideas?
it's basically money...

instead of using items or cards to pay, you use those gems
Old 05-23-2012, 06:34 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Glad to see some of the stuff that worked well in Tactical Warrior remain -- the ability to pick from a variety of mission types and challenges on a map point and meaningful level-up skill choices. I really like some of the improvements over Tactical Warrior -- such as being able to replay missions. They come with a cooling off time, so it's not like you can replay them immediately after in order to grind and risk becoming overpowered.

The new captain unit and cards makes the game a fresh one, not a re-skinned Tactical Warrior.

Spelling mistakes is gonna hurt the game. I think it's important not to seem sloppy. "Pummle" instead of "pummel" on the battle action menu that is first thing that might be spotted during the tutorial, is rather glaring.

Grid map turn-based strategy games seem to be the niche genre in this community -- I think those that have enjoyed Tactical Warrior will no doubt enjoy this one. Veterans of TBS games would probably best start with the Hard mode.