Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-16-2012, 08:46 PM

Free Version out!

Last edited by Sanuku; 06-16-2012 at 10:44 PM..
Old 08-08-2012, 04:34 PM

Send a message via MSN to JoshCM

Multiplayer Update is out!

the list:

- New turn based online multiplayer for iOS 5+ users. Invite Game Center friends (or auto-match) to take part in custom created tournaments using any track in the game.
- 2 new tracks available for use in both single player and multiplayer modes.
- A new bonus single player campaign featuring new tracks and some fiendish new races.
- More challenging AI for the harder races (also available through the local tournament mode).
- Performance optimisations.
- Improvements to battery life on the iPhone 4S
Old 08-08-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshCM View Post
Multiplayer Update is out!

the list:

- New turn based online multiplayer for iOS 5+ users. Invite Game Center friends (or auto-match) to take part in custom created tournaments using any track in the game.
- 2 new tracks available for use in both single player and multiplayer modes.
- A new bonus single player campaign featuring new tracks and some fiendish new races.
- More challenging AI for the harder races (also available through the local tournament mode).
- Performance optimisations.
- Improvements to battery life on the iPhone 4S

This is a pleasant surprise. I'm curious to try out this turn based multiplayer. Otherwise more content alone is always a nice bonus.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:18 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4

The async is just alright. Due to how it works you can't see your opponents until after everyone has raced. I think this type of racing async play was much better in Draw Race 2, where you were racing on a track and could make multiple runs for 24 hours, and when you do you see your opponents best run so far. You play that course for a day to see who can get the best time, and you got notified when your time was beaten by another player. That type of approach was much better than this one IMHO.

Still this is a good game and I don't think the async is horrible, just not as exciting as one might hope.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:47 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
The async is just alright. Due to how it works you can't see your opponents until after everyone has raced. I think this type of racing async play was much better in Draw Race 2, where you were racing on a track and could make multiple runs for 24 hours, and when you do you see your opponents best run so far. You play that course for a day to see who can get the best time, and you got notified when your time was beaten by another player. That type of approach was much better than this one IMHO.
Hi, I'm one of the developers of the game and wanted to address this. We knew this issue would be mentioned sooner or later because we originally wanted to do something closer to what Draw Race 2 does; we even started working on it. What we found out part way through the work is that there is a somewhat infamous set of patents in the game development often referred to as the "Ghost Patents". This is a collection of 4 patents which pretty much precludes a game from having ghost vehicles in the game.

So how do so many games have ghost vehicles? Well there are three options I can think of:
1) They license the patent
2) They have some other technique not covered by the patents for storing ghost data
3) They are infringing the patent either intentionally or without realising it.

Some companies claim they use option 2. These claims may or may not be true and if they're true there may be something specific about the way that game has been implemented that makes it possible to do in a way that does not infringe the patent.

If you look in the credits of Draw Race 2 you will see they license 3 patents from Warner and these are 3 of the 4 ghost patents. We have sent a query off to Warner but we haven't heard back from them at all. I guess our name doesn't carry the same weight as that of Chillingo (EA) or Red Lynx.

We still think the async mode is fun as shipped but we agree that having ghosts to compete against would have really helped with the level of competition but we're not prepared to break the patent intentionally.

If you want to know more you can search for Hard Drivin on Gamasutra which has an oldish but fairly detailed article on the patents.

I hope that at least explains why it is the way it is, even if doesn't endear the new multiplayer mode to you.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:51 AM

what lines did folks take in melting away race 2. i've 3 cogged everything but this race. closest I've pulled is 25.5. Can't see a cleaner line to take!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:45 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslavis View Post
what lines did folks take in melting away race 2. i've 3 cogged everything but this race. closest I've pulled is 25.5. Can't see a cleaner line to take!
You can go inside the snowmen after the jump, took me a while to figure that out!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:21 AM

gotta ask. Last timed race in fourth set. how on earth do you get 29 seconds? I've got 29.5 but can't come close. gotta be the first set of corners off the very start. I know on the second lap you can long swing and ride straight up the left side, you can't do that off the start though.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:11 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslavis View Post
gotta ask. Last timed race in fourth set. how on earth do you get 29 seconds? I've got 29.5 but can't come close. gotta be the first set of corners off the very start. I know on the second lap you can long swing and ride straight up the left side, you can't do that off the start though.
Wild and Whirling Race 4? Ah, I built that particular challenge so I got plenty of practice You need to hit all 3 boosts round the big curve with a little precision tapping, but to get the best times you also need to hit the "snow storm" boxes when you have some charge (the blue sparks). You'll need to stay off the sides and grapple to build up some charge, so cutting that corner might not be the fastest route. IIRC the power box at the beginning of the curve doesn't discharge you completely, so you can hit that, then 3 boosts, then get another full burst from the last powerbox. Sub 28s is possible if you can pull off a near perfect 4 laps!
Old 03-31-2013, 02:21 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Just cracked this one open after not playing for about 6 months. Just as ridiculously fun as I remembered! Seriously one of the most original racing games I've ever played.

Question if the devs are still hanging around: Are there any plans for a sequel?