★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Bee Leader - It's busy time!
The bees need you! Become a Bee Leader and help the bees fill their hives with honey.

September 2014 Update: Check out the new world Climate Change!

*** App Store Best of 2012
*** App Store 'Free App of the Week' May 2013

*** Editors' Choice in New Zealand, Australia & Brazil
*** #1 app & game in 6 countries
*** Top 10 iPhone app in 53 countries
*** Top 10 iPad app in 87 countries

* Touch Arcade 4.5 stars - "Bee Leader both surprises and delights from moment one."

* Modojo 4.5 stars - "Challenging, fun and readily-accessible title that ranks right up there with the best iPhone and iPad have to offer."

* The App Shack 4.5 stars - "Will definitely wind up being one of my favorite casual high-scoring arcade games of the year."

* iFanzine 4.5 stars - "A beautifully crafted game that oozes creativity and whimsical charm."

* Gamezebo 4 stars - "A game every iDevice owner should try. Like a honeycomb dripping honey, it oozes quality from nearly every facet."

* App Spy 4 stars - "It's certainly bee-lightful."

* TUAW - "Bee Leader is one of the most charming iPhone games I've come across in a long time."

* Touch Arcade - "trailer was absolutely amazing! iOS developers, take note!"
"Extremely simple concept taken to a level of perfection, almost like Tiny Wings meets Minecraft."
"Totally blown away, looks great on the new iPad, controls really well."

* Touch Arcade Forums - "PERFECT example of how an iOS game should be!"
"Incredible polish and great gameplay. Full recommendation."
"Controls are spot on! Graphics are incredible! Music is perfect!"

* AppCroc.com - "Surely going to blow you away with its amazing visuals and cute characters."

* Best10Apps.com, Editor's Pick - "Addictive and exciting with dazzling UI. You can't miss it."

Fly around the world and hover over flowers to collect nectar. Look out for enemies and bad weather! Collect as much nectar as you can before the sun sets. The faster you get nectar back to your hive the more honey you'll make! Pick up plenty of bonuses along the way - nectar, honey, time, and bee buddies. The more bee buddies you find, the more nectar you'll collect. More nectar means more honey - sweet!

To climb up the Bee Leader ranks fly through different worlds making honey - Just Desert, Country Life, City Heights, Island Time, London Fun and Climate Change. Each world has different obstacles, enemies, flowers, bonuses to break open and other fun interactive goodies. Some worlds are small, others are big, and there's a few surprises along the way.

Control your bee using your preferred method: joystick, touch or tilt. You can also remotely control Bee Leader using another iOS device via wifi or Bluetooth using Joypad, available free from the App Store. See http://getjoypad.com for more details.

Get busy!

Watch the trailers at;
Official Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QhkhlnUv8A&hd=1
Gameplay Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-6HqpeoZb0&hd=1

FEATURES:
- available for Mac & iOS & other platforms
- beautiful design & illustration
- full HD/Retina support on iPhone, iPad & iPod touch
- 19 levels over 6 different worlds
- cool flight model & fun physics
- great interactive sound
- social networking & sharing support
- full remote control via wifi/Bluetooth using Joypad
- Game Center leaderboards & achievements
- pesky hornets

CREDITS:
Bee Leader
A Flightless Production
by Greg Harding, John O'Reilly and Ali Teo.
Copyright 2012 Flightless Ltd. All Rights Reserved.

http://beeleader.com
http://www.facebook.com/beeleader
http://twitter.com/flightlessnz
beeleader@flightless.co.nz
http://www.flightless.co.nz/beeleader

Made using cocos2d/Box2d/ObjectAL/Freesound/Joypad.
http://itunes.com/apps/joypad/joypadgamecontroller

Echoseven's comments:

05-23-2012, 06:38 AM
Gameplay video

Instant buy

Last edited by TheFrost; 05-23-2012 at 06:47 AM. Reason: gameplay video added

05-23-2012, 08:20 AM
This looks pretty great! Came out of nowhere too. Will definitely keep an eye on this thread for other's impressions.

Now playing: Working my way through the best retro games recently re-relased including Sonic, Raiden Legacy, Blazing Star and more. Keep them coming! And revisiting all Orange Pixel titles...
05-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Bee Leader - Flightless / Developers

hey @Echoseven & @TheFrost,
thanks for posting our Bee Leader game info, screenshots and trailers The game has been released on the NZ App Store and should be appearing in other stores today. If there's anything else you'd like to know please check out our sites: www.flightless.co.nz/beeleader, Facebook (www.facebook.com/BeeLeader) or Twitter (twitter.com/flightlessnz). There are high-res/retina screenshots in our mediakit - www.flightless.co.nz/games-and-apps/bee-leader-media-kit.

hi @smes3817,
thanks! It's taken a while and we were pretty quiet about it. We released a teaser trailer a while ago (it's on our site/facebook page) which a few people noticed.

@toucharcade,
thanks for posting our trailer (toucharcade.com/2012/05/23/coming-tonight-27/)

Any other questions or thoughts just post and we'll reply here.

cheers,

Greg & John,
Flightless
05-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Hi Flightless, im about to buy your game (in 20 minutes) and I would like to know about future updates planned for the game... and also congratulate you for the awesome trailer you made, well thought
05-23-2012, 05:54 PM

@TheFrost,
thanks for your comments about our Official Trailer for Bee Leader - we thought it turned out pretty sweetly in the end

Future plans for the game... more levels! The menu and game are both data-driven so adding levels is almost entirely content. We had a lot of ideas for worlds and surprises we wanted to build for the v1.0 release, so they should be appearing in future updates. We're also working on posters/t-shirts (check our blog) along with some other ideas

We also have plans for a free/lite version. The current paid release is fully standalone and *does not* contain in-app purchasing etc. for levels - they'll be released as game updates.

Last edited by flightless; 05-23-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: added free/lite
05-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Game Impressions

First, its really polished, has a lot of different control options (Joystick left, right or anywhere; Touch Anywhere and many many Tilt options), the joystick work really well so far, although the bee at maximum speed is quite fast and have to get used to this is no problem at all, I like fast games with good controls, responsive, easy. Menu is presented in a clever way, and it has many things, like Flight Log, Options, Credits, How To Play and the worlds themselves. It work very well and is very well thought. This level is polish-ness is incredible.

Gameplay is like an exploration game, levels are big and you have a lot to collect (flowers, nectar, time to extend sunset, honey pots, break things to discover more nectar, and many more and you get a ranking for the thing you collected), enemies (thunder clouds, eagles, wasps, etc...), traps, puzzles, and more. You have to collect bee related things before sunset to make honey so you will have to be fast if you want to completely fill each hive, adding challenge for those looking to 3 star every level. Its quite different and really enjoyable. Exploration platformer enthusiasts should buy this. Good and well made levels, there is a ton of creativity here. There are only 12 levels but they seem to get bigger as I progress (with more levels to come). Replayability is big for me, as I want to fill hives to the max because I like it. Fun and GOOD game here folks

GameCenter support (but you have to activate in the options first, why?) with 10 not so easy achievements and many leaderboards

The rest, like sounds, music, etc... are very congruent (always play everything with low sound)

IAP: Not at all, nothing

This is quite different from what I have seen on iOS, adding the polish quality and the great gameplay, and I like it a lot. Full recommendation

Last edited by TheFrost; 05-23-2012 at 06:40 PM. Reason: more info
05-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the early and detailed impressions, TheFrost. This looks like a winner.

Game Center: MarinasideSteve
05-23-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrost View Post
This is quite different from what I have seen on iOS, adding the polish quality and the great gameplay, and I like it a lot. Full recommendation
Wow, thanks a lot for your speedy and great review, @TheFrost! Have you tweeted an image of your Flight Log yet? (Share it!)

We didn't auto-enable Game Center so players could opt-in rather than opt-out. Nothing is lost as scores and ranks are stored on the device and submitted whenever Game Center is enabled. This initial setting is something that we can easily change in an update so thanks for your feedback.

No, there's no in-app purchasing!

Last edited by flightless; 05-23-2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: IAP
05-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Better than Twitter, here are my Stats:

And I added more to the review Back to play, so awesome

EDIT: I twitted it too

Last edited by TheFrost; 05-23-2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Twitted