★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Spending hours trying to find a quality platform game like Swordigo

05-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Spending hours trying to find a quality platform game like Swordigo

...and failing.

Is Lostwinds a contender?

....or do you have a better suggestion

Thanks
05-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Afaik, there is nothing quite like it. You'll either wind up playing a grindy IAP driven krpg or a decent platformer without the rpg elements. The closest things in my opinion are all really 2.5D or top down action RPGs, but they don't really satisfy that platformer itch that Swordigo does.

05-23-2012, 03:02 PM
If you do not need RPG elements, then Lost winds is great (much slower paced,less content, and only one boss fight, but still an excellent game) and you have to look no further than Soosiz also by touch foo and right up there with Swordigo. Also, Crazy Hedgy is an excellent 3d platformer and in my opinion better than Swordigo (exceptionally polished for any platform).

Currently Playing: Pocket RPG, Tentacle Wars, Oh My Heroes, Minigore 2, Mini Motor Racing, Eufloria, Swordigo
05-24-2012, 05:36 AM
Thank you for the insight...
05-25-2012, 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by injuwarrior View Post
If you do not need RPG elements, then Lost winds is great (much slower paced,less content, and only one boss fight, but still an excellent game) and you have to look no further than Soosiz also by touch foo and right up there with Swordigo. Also, Crazy Hedgy is an excellent 3d platformer and in my opinion better than Swordigo (exceptionally polished for any platform).
I bought Crazy Hedgy on your recommendation, but was a bit disappointed..
It may very well be a good game, but it's as far from Swordigo as can be, while still being a platformer.

It's seen behind the character, Swordigo is a side scrolling platformer, which I like much better, but the biggie is that while Swordigo has great on screen controls, Crazy Hedgy only have tilt as an option, which just doesn't work for me as I'm playing all my games on the iPad.

It's too unwieldy, especially since I have my iPad in a cover with in-built stand.
Essentially, I play all my games "hands free", never holding the iPad, mostly it's resting on my lap or stands on a table.
I suspect a lot of people have similar setups.
Tilt doesn't work with a setup like that, and tilt only rarely works good on the iPad due to its size and weight. It's just not very comfortable.

If Crazy Hedgy had on screen controls, I would have given it a chance, as it is, it's deleted after five minutes.

I realize that the game may be excellent, I haven't given it a chance at all, but it just can't compare to Swordigo, they're just too different in premise, controls and viewpoint.

"To stop the flow of music would be like the stopping of time itself, incredible and inconceivable."
Aaron Copland
05-25-2012, 07:15 AM
A really good platformer is Cordy. It's free to try with an unlock from within the game. You might wanna give that a shot,it's just a platformer though,no rpg elements.
05-25-2012, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krautboy View Post
A really good platformer is Cordy. It's free to try with an unlock from within the game. You might wanna give that a shot,it's just a platformer though,no rpg elements.
Tried it....didn't like it that much. The controls are way too over sensitive...
05-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytebrain View Post
It may very well be a good game, but it's as far from Swordigo as can be, while still being a platformer.

It's seen behind the character, Swordigo is a side scrolling platformer, which I like much better, but the biggie is that while Swordigo has great on screen controls, Crazy Hedgy only have tilt as an option, which just doesn't work for me as I'm playing all my games on the iPad.

It's too unwieldy, especially since I have my iPad in a cover with in-built stand.
Essentially, I play all my games "hands free", never holding the iPad, mostly it's resting on my lap or stands on a table.
Tilt doesn't work with a setup like that, and tilt only rarely works good on the iPad due to its size and weight. It's just not very comfortable.

If Crazy Hedgy had on screen controls, I would have given it a chance, as it is, it's deleted after five minutes.

I realize that the game may be excellent, I haven't given it a chance at all, but it just can't compare to Swordigo, they're just too different in premise, controls and viewpoint.
Totally agree. Installed and uninstalled particularly because of the controls. Plus a far inferior game to Swordigo in my opinion...
05-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Quote:
For me the first playable platformer altogether.

Quote:
It's seen behind the character, Swordigo is a side scrolling platformer, which I like much better,
It's simply old. 3D is modern. (Just kidding. Swordigo is great as well.)

Quote:
but the biggie is that while Swordigo has great on screen controls, Crazy Hedgy only have tilt as an option, which just doesn't work for me as I'm playing all my games on the iPad.
I'm too playing almost all games on iPads and I have NO probs with tilt controls. Racers like Asphalt 6 for HOURS. And I am not a too much athletic type.

Quote:
It depends what app I run. But at home it's always naked.

Quote:
Lazy people. iPad is not a notebook. Take it, move it, hold it, tap on it, put it here and there, pass it to your buddy, change orientation all the time. Get flexible with your computer. I know it's a new feeling but get used to it and make use of it. Tilt controls are a big new gaming experience with iOS devices. For 3D racers better than consoles if you ask me, esp. the local multiplayer modes.

Quote:
Tilt doesn't work with a setup like that, and tilt only rarely works good on the iPad due to its size and weight.
I have no such complaints. Works perfectly.

Quote:
It's just not very comfortable.
Okay after four or five hours playing Asphalt (later I stand up from the sofa for using a chair with arm rests) I can feel my arms a bit the next day. But it seems to be kind of healthy.

Quote:
Wait for the retina update and you'll can't put it down promised. It's at least as good as Swordigo for me. And I am not alone with this opinion.

Quote:
Different and new is not always bad. You are too conservative caro mio.

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)

Last edited by Habakuk; 05-25-2012 at 11:36 AM.
05-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Quote:
I bought it a long time ago based on a positive response to its release. I played for maybe 10 minutes, realized it would not get better, and deleted. The controls are just some of the worst ever. Tilt only for a platformer? Ridiculous...