★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Mystique Chapter 1

05-21-2009, 04:35 AM
Mystique Chapter 1

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=315948631&mt=8
$0.99

Looks much like Silent hill. Big fan of this genre. Anyone willing to TOFFT?

Currently Playing: N.O.V.A, Skater Nation, 33rd Division, 7 Cities, Karnival.
Looking Forward to: GTA: Chinatown Wars, Ravensword (update), 1112 ep 02 and yeah the hangover on 1st
05-21-2009, 04:45 AM
Video gave me the creeps!

Had a look on the dev website and saw the preview video on YouTube. Man, gave me the shivers!!! I don't think I got the courage to play this... I practically crapper myself playing Silent Hill 1 and just about gettig into the school! Hearing things, but not seeing them, really killed me psychologically.

I think I need to see my psychologist now.

Video at http://www.YouTube.com/watch?v=4qqFZbedwFY

EDIT: read more on dev website. Chapter two is coming soon to Android so there's definitely more to come. What concerns me is that a video review by Phonedog.com said it took him over an hour to figure out how to escape that bathroom (that's good). But on dev site says "Chatper two: The Child starts right off where the last game ended. After you escape the bathroom, you find yourself in some kind of a medical facility...."

So, 99c for one room? Erm, might not have many punters then. But apparently on Android marketplace, the video review said it's available free with a request for donation. I think the dev might be better off doing likewise and let's this off free to garner interest for chapter two to be sold at whatever he thinks. I think he will encounter alot of criticism if iPhone gamers feel they got shafted for 99c on just one room (video review never confirmed if it was just one room, I only extrapolated from the dev description above).

Last edited by hkiphone; 05-21-2009 at 05:02 AM. Reason: New info

05-21-2009, 04:52 AM
I dunno but that woman with terrible hair style asked if I have done her laundry. Oh well, I have to tell her the bath tub is bad, only rusty water... apparently, I have pissed her away.

I don't know but if you put your screen a bit further way, these games are not that scary due to low resolution.

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

“Honestly, I was never terribly good at games.” - Finch (PoI S2E16)
05-21-2009, 04:52 AM
I found it....amusing that the description says this is ported from the Android!

Screens look ok, I wonder how much gameplay might be included in 4 mb of content.

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon

Last edited by rich_952000; 05-21-2009 at 04:54 AM.
05-21-2009, 04:58 AM
It's rather short (I managed to beat it in about 17 minutes) and has an odd control scheme for a first-person escape-the-room game, but it was actually pretty cool. I've been waiting a long time for a decent 3D escape-the-room game on the iphone/ipod touch and I think that this one is the best so far.

The few scenes where the ghosts suddenly appear aren't all that scary, but the atmosphere of the room you're trapped in is well conveyed through the well designed 3D environment of the room. I wouldn't really go so far as to compare the game to the brilliant design of the Silent Hill games, but it does well in creating an enjoyable semi-psychological "horror" setting.

Overall, I'd say that I got my 99 cents worth out of the game and I plan on purchasing the next episode when it comes out as well (which the developer plans to have released by May 26th according to their website: http://www.bendroid.com/mystique_cha...ming_soon.html).
05-21-2009, 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manathilian View Post
It's rather short (I managed to beat it in about 17 minutes) and has an odd control scheme for a first-person escape-the-room game, but it was actually pretty cool.
Just wondering if there's any replay value to it? And how much more is there besides that one bathroom.

My law: Play any game you get starting on it's hardest difficulty. It's less fun and more frustrating that way
05-21-2009, 05:08 AM
Welcome to TA Manathillian.

I think $.99 sounds fair for a well detailed episode in a 3D mini-spookisode.

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon
05-21-2009, 05:11 AM
Does look interesting but yeah, that whole one room thing sounds off-putting as does the fact of it not being particularly scary. Which is kind of the point for games like this...

Hmm, maybe I should just make my own :P
05-21-2009, 05:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by currymutton View Post
I don't know but if you put your screen a bit further way, these games are not that scary due to low resolution.
Ain't that the truth!!

Well I was listening in on earphones so I was more anxious from the sound than the visuals, but but yes, the low res can be scary by itself, haha!

Rich: yeah I spotted that and thought "let's see how good that platform is" but not too impressive. Well at least the dev is trying out both platforms.
05-21-2009, 05:22 AM
Manathillian: damn! You finished it before I whipped out my two posts on this thread!!!!! Glad you thought it was worth a dollar. In one way I hope that the dev maintains his interest in the app store and doesn't face too many complaints about how short the game is (see the comments about the Terminator games) but at least he is trying to offer something unique.