★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: You are the last line of defense against the Zombie Rush. If the Zombies can break through the barricade, it is game over.

Six different Zombies, three civilians and a number of power ups and bonuses are the main attraction. Simple one touch controls and wonderful art will keep you glued to the screen.

So, let's kill some zombies, save some civilians and blow some stuff up!

BazookaTime's comments:

05-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Thanks, this is a pretty fun game and it gets really frantic when the screen starts filling up. It would be cool to be able to earn extra monster faces, backgrounds, or main characters with the points earned!

05-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Thanks, I got 3AX6ATTJR93T. Thev2 above that we're taken. I'll post impressions sometime in the next day or so.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
05-23-2012, 08:08 PM
All codes are gone... Not real problem since I'd rather support the Dev anyway. But thought I'd save you the time trying the codes.

Picked it up and will give some impressions soon.

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5
05-24-2012, 12:49 AM
Got a chance to play it a little bit and I really like the concept of the game and the frantic nature it has, but I do have a few questions that I'll address in a moment.

Before that I'll lay out a bit about the game. The concept has been done before -- you tap matching squares and then double tap the last one to clear all of the matching blocks. Your goal is to do all of this quick enough so that the horde doesn't overrun you defenses. The blocks drop faster and faster making it harder to hold them off.

Graphically the game is nice. You can see the images from the screen shots to see all you need to know. I would have liked to see some more differences in the blocks. The colors don't stand out enough. Perhaps it is because the zombie faces take up so much of the block, but I found myself having to really search at times to find the matches I needed. That might have been the intention, and if so, I'll go with it.

There are some power ups and survivors that pop from from time to time as well, but (and here comes one of my first quizzical moments). I couldn't see exactly how to use them. I would tap them and nothing seemed to happen. By the end of the game I ended up with a bunch of stuff on the bottom and no real way to use them.

The "How To" section of the game didn't really explain much. It just told you what the blocks were and that was that. I'm a big fan of always treating a tutorial like people have never played a game like this before. I'd rather have too much into than too little.

Another question is... why does it seem like I can't hit a certain zombie to start a chain? Several times I'd go to hit a zombie and nothing would happen. I'd then go to a different zombie and it would work, or not work. Eventually I'd find one that would let me start a chain. This became very frustrating. I'd look to make sure that I hadn't already started a chain, but that hadn't happened.

Also, I am not sure how the horde advances. I can see that the bottom line advances, but I'm not sure what triggers that action. Knowing that would help me with strategy.

And while I'm at it... It would be cool to have a power up that pushes that advancement back a step. I'd love to feel like I'm winning the impossible battle from time to time

And, when you get a penalty block (you get these for only clearing one block) can you ever get rid of them?

There is a really nice game in here but I feel like I don't see all of it because I'm not sure what is going on. I wasn't able to get any of the power ups to work. I couldn't rescue a survivor. I wasn't able to start chains or push the horde back. Many of things are probably in the game, I just don't know how to trigger them.

So... a little help would be good.

But even with those hiccups I still like the game and happy to have paid the dollar. I have no doubts that efforts will be made to make this even stronger and I almost never tire of a good zombie game. Get us a little more of the zombie feel to this one and you'll have a true winner.

And best of luck with all of your games!

Agent of TOFTT
05-24-2012, 12:51 AM
Oh... and one more thing I'd love to see fixed in this... The pause button is actually in the play field. This means that if I want to touch a block that happens to be int eh same location as the pause button, I'm going to pause the game.

I'd suggest having a bit of top banner that stops that from being an issue. I hit pause several times in my games because I was frantically trying to get to a block.

Agent of TOFTT
05-24-2012, 02:02 AM

Thanks so much for buying the game and especially for taking the time to leave such detailed feedback.

Zombie Puzzle Rush is a side project I started while working on a more full fledged Zombie Game. I thought the characters might fit into a puzzle game, so i basically took the heads and turned them into blocks.

I mention this because I have changed Zombie Puzzle Rush several times prior to releasing it, trying to get the right mix. I will continue to tinker with the game to make it better, so your feed back is awesome.

I will try to address your concerns here.

1)The blocks (colors) don't stand out.
A)Agreed. Originally the game speed was much slower and the game was more about finding matches (taking your time). The game speed is quicker now, so I will look at adjusting the background colors on the blocks. There are also two blocks with two zombies on them, I am in the process of adjusting this to help them stand out more.

2)Pause button
A)I will move the pause button out of the play area.

3)How To Section
A)I will look at adding more detail. I am currently redoing the Main Menu and I can adjust the How To as well.

4)Can't Tap Certain Zombies
A)This should not be an issue, any additional detail would be appreciated. If you can't tap a Zombie, it should mean that you have intentionally or not, tapped a block and you didn't notice it. This can happen a lot when the screen is full. I have done tons of play testing and know what you are talking about but each time this happened to me, I was able to see that I had tapped a different block. I will look at this some more.

5)The Horde Advances
A)The Horde advances automatically and there is nothing you can do to stop it, you can only delay it. The RV power up will freeze the play area allowing you to clear some of the field. The grenade Launcher power up will shake things up and also help level out the field. You can save these power ups or use them as soon as they fall. The level up bar at the bottom fills up and drops a new zombie onto the field, each time this happens the game speeds up. I will look at a power up that knocks the horde back. (Good Idea)

6)Penalty Block
The penalty block (crushed car) can not be removed from the play field. The penalty block drops when you submit just one block. This is in place so a player can't just one tap the board.

As of right now, the survivors are just bonuses. 2x, 3x and 4x. So if you run a long chain of zombies together you want to end it by saving a survivor to get a bigger multiplier.

There were other things planned for the game but not mentioned as I didn't want to promise and not deliver. Tracking number of survivors saved, unlockable hats for the Sheriff ect. all of these things are making it into the main game and I will see what I can add to this game.

I hope I addressed most of your questions. I am working on some of the issues now and will keep you updated.

Please feel free to list issues or things you would like added.

Last edited by BazookaTime; 05-24-2012 at 02:04 AM.
05-24-2012, 03:04 AM
Hectic zombie fun...

QuickWit, nailed it with the detailed review. I can concur and feel like there should be a little more explanation on how to succeed. Overall a hectic zombie puzzle match game. Having fun and quite hectic, did I mention that.
Like QuickWit stated, there are times where the touches aren't registering, but overall a fun puzzle game.
Great job and if you are a zombie killer lover like me, you will enjoy it!
05-24-2012, 12:57 PM
@BT -

Thanks for the code. I too enjoy the experience, and I had questions like Quickwit also had. The way to combo's was not clear, now I am figuring it is to end the chain with a survivor. I kept tapping on survivors but could never get anywhere with that.

I must say, as a person who generally likes slower paced thinking games, that the pace of this was not too horrible, and I was able to keep up fairly well (judging on how long I can play - compared to other, similar styled games).

No clear way to get combos? Or should those more rightly just be called multipliers, or ??? I tried tapping on the same blocks - several of them, then more of the same genre, and I thought that I should be getting combos, since I did not change the type of block, but that did not seem to work?

Anyways, thanks for the code, and I am enjoying this.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer