★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: I LOVE SQUARES - Drop pieces. Make squares.

"Each round is more satisfying than the last, and even when you put it down, you can feel some subconscious part of yourself still tinkering away with it." - The Bygone Bureau

"Fans of slower-paced puzzlers like Drop7 and DropZap will find plenty to like here..." - EDGE online

To play, drop horizontal and vertical pieces to make red, blue, and green squares. White pieces match any color. Make one square at a time, or enclose a large area to make several squares at once. The larger number of squares, the higher the score.

Make as many squares as you can, and don't let pieces go over the top!

brackeen's comments:
Hi everyone,
I wanted to share this puzzle game I made. It's called I Love Squares, and it's like a cross between Tetris and Dots & Boxes.

Site: http://www.ilovesquaresgame.com/

Youtube link | Pop Up

Promo Codes:
394M9HYNRMLP
YJ3JFLKA9H4E
JPW33X4E6NJ6
TWFKJ7NW7ANA
PRY4MML337H4
05-23-2012, 11:13 PM
YJ3JFLKA9H4E, thanks.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews

05-23-2012, 11:21 PM
PRY4MML337H4 taken. Impressions in the morning. Thank you
05-24-2012, 02:10 AM
Game Impressions

Touch!

This seemingly minimalistic game is pretty dang cool! I think the single game aspect I'm loving the most so far is the "sticking". While you can normally place a horizontal or vertical line segment anywhere you want, it has to be able to travel to that point without having to pass over any compatible line segments (same color or white). This simple rule makes the game that much deeper.

I promise a full review later today!

My iTunes Reviews
05-25-2012, 04:55 PM
Game Impressions

I've played a bit further and unlocked the additional two modes (just need to reach a sufficient level in the previous mode, there are no IAPs in the game) and he game is still great fun.

In all modes you're simply tasked with dropping horizontal and vertical colored line segments into the piles of lines in hopes of making a continuously connected border of a single color (or a single color and the white wildcard segments) to clear the area. The more squares involved in the area cleared, the bigger the score (the points are simply the square of the number of boxes area cleared). You can even score temporary score multipliers if you manage to clear out areas as the result of the remaining cascading pieces after another area was cleared by the player.

To make things a little complicated (and therefore interesting), the dropping pieces have to be able to trace a path to where you want to place the piece that doesn't have it trying to slide past any same colored segments (this is much easier experienced than explained) which is definitely where a lot of the game's more complex strategizing kicks in.

While the player is never timed, they only are allowed so many moves before the bottom pushes up with some random debris. While this random debris is made entirely of white wildcard pieces, the fact that they limit your freedom of movement and push all of the current pieces one step closer to going over the top of the screen (how the game ends), makes them a mainly annoying presence.

The above pretty much sums up the Normal mode. Hardcore mode is the same with the exception of there being a lot of debris already on screen and the lines pushing up from the bottom coming in at a much more frequent pace. Lastly is the very nasty Ascender mode. In this mode there are three colors to deal with (besides the white pieces) and pieces push up from the bottom with every successful area clearance.

4/5

My iTunes Reviews
05-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Just discovered this game thanks to grid's recommendation in the minimalist puzzle games thread. It's really good and probably deserves more love than it's received. LordGek does an excellent job summarizing the gameplay mechanics above. Check it.
05-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
Damn I need another job
05-14-2013, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guise View Post
It's really good and probably deserves more love than it's received.
Agreed. When I reset my phone a few months ago and iTunes didn't sync all my apps, this is one of the few I bothered to reinstall.
05-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Accidentally tapped on this thread. Now I really want this game. Promo codes are gone, BTW.

Edit: which is because the thread is from last May. I should read better.

Last edited by Jerutix; 05-14-2013 at 07:32 PM.