★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: clusterball worth it now?

10-30-2008, 06:48 PM
is clusterball worth it?!?!

hey ok here's the deal!
I think clusterball looks xcool and I just added some cash to my account.
So I'm putting the fate of my 10$ in your hands!
Is it worth it??? Any ups and downs would be appreciated!

Apps iLove: iBooks, Podcasts, Tweetbot, Reeder, Instapaper, SoundHound, MLS Live
Games iLove: Real Racing 2, Minecraft, Fieldrunners 2, Great Big War Game, FIFA 12
GameCenter: PeterM11
10-30-2008, 09:37 PM
I've been on the fence with this one too. Two things really.

My biggest concern right now is buying "too many" games that I don't play the ones I buy enough because half the time I'm playing the ones that were free (either always free or limited time free).

My other hold up is waiting for Low Grav Racer (I think touchArcade had a preview up some time ago) to come out. It looks super polished and the next best thing to having a genuine Wipeout game on your iPhone.

Having said that, I was super impressed that the developers of Clusterball managed to turn around and fix some of the issues that plagued the initial release within a week. That, in itself, almost makes me feel comfortable forking out the $10 for Clusterball.

I say if you're looking for a Wipeout sim with a twist, snag it at $10 and enjoy the ride, especially with a developer listening to their customers.

10-30-2008, 09:43 PM
I said in the comment thread for the review. There's a $10 game in there, but I don't think it's there yet. If I could play any level again, I think it would be worth it . As it is now, I don't really get too excited to play it again since I have to start from level one.

arn
10-31-2008, 03:59 AM
There is this one and only thing which keeps me away from playing it: "on rails".

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
10-31-2008, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
There is this one and only thing which keeps me away from playing it: "on rails".

Totally agree. When the game was first announced, the accompanying video and the information I could find about the computer version suggested a more "freeform" type of gameplay.

It looks like a highly polished game and it comes from a clearly talented developer, but arn says it best: there's a $10 game in there, but I don't think it's there yet.
10-31-2008, 10:48 AM
Yeah, there definitely is potential in this game, but the gameplay itself is castrated. Go download the original Clusterball to get an idea of what it should have been.

While the patch fixed the memory errors, the gameplay issues still hamper the potential of this game. I would wait until they add better gameplay modes, unless you like rail shooters and prefer to start from the first level every time you play.

It's gotta look real bad for Resolution Interactive when a dev releases Scifly a week later--a game that allows complete freedom in flight and even offers AI opponents. The only difference is in the graphic detail and the presence of strips w/orbs, and a score gate.
11-01-2008, 12:19 PM
This game is so fantastic.. What people don't realize is that you're not stuck on the ramps/rails, you can fly all over the place if you want! The ramps are just how you get points, which translates into extra time... There are several different strategies, from picking up time tokens to grabbing as many points as possible..

In the end, time is against you.

Here are some tips, (I feel like I can give out tips because currently i'm ranked #2!)

1) Pause the game by hitting the Home icon right above the clock..took me a while to realize i could pause the game!

2) Picking up balls makes your plane slower... This sounds like a bad thing, but really you can use it to your advantage because the slower your plane goes, the easier it is to pick up the balls on the red ramps!

3) Grab those time tokens, but keep in mind they go from 1 2 3 4 5 where 5 is displayed for the shortest amount of time. You can time the pickup by slowing down before you get to it!

4) Make sure you get all the balls on the ramp for an extra bonus of points and time

5) Definitely use the brakes, they're necessary to stick to some of the harder twistier ramps!

Hope this helps! Clusterball is definitely worth it!!!
11-01-2008, 03:00 PM
does it have shooting like the pc version or is it clean?
11-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannys95 View Post
does it have shooting like the pc version or is it clean?
There is no shooting like on the PC version.. It's just a race against time and the leaderboards
11-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Send a message via AIM to STP_Steve Send a message via Yahoo to STP_Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM11 View Post
hey ok here's the deal!
I think clusterball looks xcool and I just added some cash to my account.
So I'm putting the fate of my 10$ in your hands!
Is it worth it??? Any ups and downs would be appreciated!
Nope, it's not worth it. There are a lot of rough edges, particularly with level design, game structure, hit detection.

Steve Palley, www.slidetoplay.com