Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-05-2012, 02:03 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloko View Post
Besides that, do you have any plans for a performance improvement?
Thanks for the bug report! Added to the list. We'll continue to tweak performance for sure - we'd like to be able to hit a smooth 60fps on iPod touch 4 and iPhone 4 if we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomekSzymek View Post
The only thing which that one can win with all the other runners are updates...
Well we do plan a lot of updates, and big ones too
Old 06-05-2012, 03:43 PM

Wow, I normally hate this kind of game, but I want to try this out, looks very nice.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Love this game, but only one thing that bothers me that falls into the "cheap death" category. How come when you jump on an enemy on the same level, you kill it, but if you jump and happen to fall on the level below it, if you land on an enemy, it kills you.

No biggie. Another thing that makes the game challenging, but just seems a bit inconsistent.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:08 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
Love this game, but only one thing that bothers me that falls into the "cheap death" category. How come when you jump on an enemy on the same level, you kill it, but if you jump and happen to fall on the level below it, if you land on an enemy, it kills you.

No biggie. Another thing that makes the game challenging, but just seems a bit inconsistent.
We have noticed some issues with hitting enemies from certain angles - this can happen whether you're jumping or falling and we're looking into how to tweak that for a better feel.

What you're describing might also be that when you hit an enemy you start to "tumble" and will fall off the platform you're on. If you hit an enemy while you're tumbling, you won't kill that enemy, and you'll keep tumbling. That's in there by design, so you do need to be careful in some areas It's the flip-side to being saved by platform below you if you tumble off the one above, which you could call a "cheap save"
Old 06-05-2012, 05:52 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Will this run on a 2nd gen iPod?
Old 06-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickfury View Post
How would you compare the two (Zombie Carnaval vs. Mega Run) in terms of what they each get right/wrong? They are quite different games, and I love the Grim Joggers-ish aspect of Zombie Carnaval.
I agree with TomekSzymek that they're really two completely different styles of runners. Zombie Carnaval has that straight-shot, endless runner thing, but adds a lot with, as you say, the Grim Joggers-ish aspect of it as well as some really cool power ups. It's quirky, a bit sadistic and, well, fun.

Mega Run, on the other hand, is much more like a runner/platformer. You have to time the jumps right to avoid death and hit enemies. That's what I like about it. It feels like I'm playing a platformer on speed. Even though it's level based, it also usually warrants multiple playthroughs just on each level since you're very unlikely to get all the gems on the first time. And the randomization doesn't mean you'll get them on the second try either.

Each game has its own merits. Don't think one would benefit much from taking something from the other. They've just got a different play style.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:33 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ninja View Post
Will this run on a 2nd gen iPod?
Unfortunately not. Mega Run uses a new version of OpenGL that isn't available on older devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
Each game has its own merits. Don't think one would benefit much from taking something from the other. They've just got a different play style.
Thanks - it's always good to get a different perspective. It'd very interesting from a design perspective to see how different teams tackle a specific genre, in this case the endless/auto runner. It's unique to mobile devices and it's cool to be part of and see other approaches to the evolution of the genre.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:56 PM

I really can't recommend this game enough, for anyone who like either endless runners, or platformers. To me, the level design (different routes through the levels), scoring system (your score is based not just on distance travelled but on coins collected, speed, enemies killed) and variety of levels make Mega Run stand out far above the rest of the runner crowd. Its not revoluntary perhaps (I haven't played the zombie carnaval game ppl are raving about in this thread) but its a very well done game that adds a lot gameplay wise (not just in terms of polish) to this genre.

Two thumbs up!

(just as a note, as you progress in levels you do get a number of free save stars, so unless you want to spam the stars there's no need to go for the IAP, unless you want to support the devs, which in my opinion, you should )
Old 06-06-2012, 11:39 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Zombie Carnaval is awesome, and super hilarious. It is an endless runner with objectives. Mega Run is a great gun, but should be classified more as a platformer, or at least a runner with levels.

For those who hate iaps, you can get as many save stars as needed by watching videos each day. You get $10 for watching a short video. $150 gives you 25 free save stars - so lots of play with those. Don't waste them for attempts you died right off the bat, but use them for when you are a decent way through the level - or even to get a fireball/speed boost when needed (such as when you know you just missed a gem or are one level above or below where you need to be - and a magnetic pull on the gem would be helpful).
Old 06-07-2012, 01:08 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickfury View Post
Unfortunately not. Mega Run uses a new version of OpenGL that isn't available on older devices.
Darn, ok then, I'll try it on my iPhone. Thanks for the quick reply though.