Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-13-2012, 10:50 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoSplash View Post
Nick I was also wondering if we could pay .99 cents to disable the pop-up adds
That's an interesting idea. As a freemium app, we still like to play nice and not tick off players, so options like this could work if people are interested. Ads help us cover the costs of development, since the majority of people who play Mega Run don't pay anything, but an option to turn the ads off might be nice for those who would like to chip in. Thanks for your thoughts on that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinS View Post
Update 2 is out! Yay, I've been waiting a long time for this. You guys did a great job. I havn't had much time to sink my teeth into it, but first impressions are great! The "Trapdoors" & "Bash Blocks" add a lot of fun, and Charging Charles is really cute.
Awesome! Thank you so much. We really enjoyed putting this world together and the new features will give us a lot to work with for future worlds, and add a lot more options for fun gameplay.

Quote:
... if the Save Star was equipped from the beginning, you could also have the option to use it during the gameplay, instead of just using it when you fall off a cliff. THAT would be cool too.
This is a really interesting discussion you guys are having. I should probably throw into the mix the fact that you CAN trigger the Save Star at any time - hence my original confusion about this maybe. Just tap the Save Star button at the top of the screen at any time to activate the Save Star to get a boost that will save you if you fall. Maybe we could make this more obvious as a feature so people know that it's not just something you can use after you die, but at any time.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:21 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickfury View Post
That's an interesting idea. As a freemium app, we still like to play nice and not tick off players, so options like this could work if people are interested. Ads help us cover the costs of development, since the majority of people who play Mega Run don't pay anything, but an option to turn the ads off might be nice for those who would like to chip in. Thanks for your thoughts on that!

This is a really interesting discussion you guys are having. I should probably throw into the mix the fact that you CAN trigger the Save Star at any time - hence my original confusion about this maybe. Just tap the Save Star button at the top of the screen at any time to activate the Save Star to get a boost that will save you if you fall. Maybe we could make this more obvious as a feature so people know that it's not just something you can use after you die, but at any time.
Nick, if you made it so I could disable the adds I would gladly throw money your way, so you can count me in if that becomes available. I wish more apps would come out as free with adds that you can disable. Play for free and if you like the app enough to keep it as a permanent fixture on your device then pay (both monetarily and as a thank you) the developer to remove the adds. It's a no brainer to me and I think it's fair, too.

In terms of activating the Save Star at any point... Well, THIS changes things! I had no idea you could do this. You know, you should hire me for your team, since I thought this idea up and had no idea it already existed

This is exactly where I was going with my 'Reprieve Jump' idea, basically being able to use a Save Star to prevent you from dying in the first place.

So, I used the Save Star while falling and I also used it while being on a platform. The one thing I am noticing now is that being propelled into the air is only a function of the Save Star after you fall all the way down. Is there any way to make the Save Star propel you upwards with a double tap of the screen, like in my original idea? Here's why:

1) I don't like that you have to hit the bottom first to be propelled back up. It doesn't look natural to me. I initiate the Save Star mid fall, Redford catches on fire THEN hits the bottom, then propels upwards. I'd rather see the Save Star propel me up the second I use it.

2) I wish the Save Star would propel me upwards even while using it on a platform. It would be cool if a double tap would use a Save Star to propel you upwards while on a platform, and just tapping the Save Star button normally would make you go forward, as it does now.

3) Using a Save Star during the gameplay as it is now (without using it as a revive) seems a little pointless to me considering there are so many other power ups along the way. I can't see myself as using one unless I am going to die, but if I were shot into the air, I would DEFINITELY use it during gameplay. It would be more interesting to use.

Or, maybe you could make TWO types of Save Stars, one that propels you upwards and another that just makes you go forward.

You can see where I am going with all of this. I would REALLY like the ability for Redford to be propelled upwards at any point within the game (instead of just after dying, and with the exact same visuals as there is now when he comes up from the bottom), whether it's with a Save Star or not Maybe you could call it a MEGA jump?! I think it would add an amazing dynamic to the gameplay and make the Save Star much more versatile. You could even make platforms that are only accessible by being propelled into the air!!! I'd love to be on a regular platform, use a Save Star, shoot high into the sky with flames trailing behind me, and land on another, elevated, secret 'bonus' platform with enemies to burst through and special coins to gather. Think Super Mario in the clouds with a kick

Oh, and did you like the parachute idea? LOL.

Last edited by SumoSplash; 08-14-2012 at 02:09 AM..
Old 08-14-2012, 12:05 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
I agree, I think it might also be cool if this feature was included in the $4.99 I.A.P. It might give more incentive to players to unlock a slightly higher I.A.P then just the lowest one, ($1.99)

Quote:
I've actually been using Save Stars from the start during levels. I learned about it from those "tip" screens that appear while a level is loading. I guess maybe not everyone reads them though. There really handy for getting a gem if it's on the platform above you, because it sucks it towards you.

Quote:
Or, maybe you could make TWO types of Save Stars, one that propels you upwards and another that just makes you go forward.

hmm, I really like the point you're making. Instead of makng TWO types of save stars, maybe the original save star could be modified. If you activate it while running on a platform, you shoot upwards and everything else works the same as before. However, if you activate it once you've fallen off the bottom of the screen, Redford parachutes down from the top of the screen. You could tap the screen anytime and the parachute would be cut, making Redford fall directly above the platform he's over. If you didn't tap the screen you would just land on the platform and continue running!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:06 AM

Default Green gem on level 5-15?

Hi,

first, a big thumbs-up to the devs - not only is this a very well-designed game with great graphics and excellent level design, but also with a fair freemium mix: If you want a shortcut, you can buy it, but you are never forced to; actually, I made it my goal to get all stars and gems without money-cheating... ;-)

And right there lies a nut too tough to crack for me: How do I survive grabbing the green gem in level 5-15? Directly after the gem are a trap door and a wall of those spiky skull rocks. Jumping the rocks is not an option, so I fall through the trapdoor. Below are a small step which I may barely catch, a blue "land shark" and more spike rocks. And there, I can either death-jump myself into the rocks or have the shark bounce me into them.

I tried a lot of variations (activate the trap door early or late, use the preceding speed coins or not, catch the step or not...) but none seems to work... :-/

Can anybody help me here? Thx!
Old 08-23-2012, 12:19 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Nick, if you made it so I could disable the adds I would gladly throw money your way, so you can count me in if that becomes available.
This is definitely food for thought!

Quote:
It's pretty cool! As with any feature ideas, they get thrown into the mix with other ideas we're exploring, so we can never guarantee that a particular feature will make it in to a future update, but it definitely helps us to think about what players are interested in!

Thanks also for your further ideas about the Save Star and how it could work!

Quote:
I agree, I think it might also be cool if this feature was included in the $4.99 I.A.P. It might give more incentive to players to unlock a slightly higher I.A.P then just the lowest one, ($1.99)
That's a nice clean way to integrate an ad-remove feature, and yeah, it could potentially add that extra incentive for people that are thinking of chipping in to help the devs

Quote:
...Instead of makng TWO types of save stars, maybe the original save star could be modified.
The Save Star is the most popular in app purchase (no surprises there!), so it's an interesting one to think about, and how it could be improved or modified. Thanks for your thoughts on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s View Post
first, a big thumbs-up to the devs
Thanks! It means a lot to hear that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s View Post
And right there lies a nut too tough to crack for me: How do I survive grabbing the green gem in level 5-15?
The trick is in the Embiggenate! Here's how:

Old 11-07-2012, 05:54 PM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Update is out with more levels

BUT there are a lot of complaints in the German store about constant crashes.
I haven't updated yet and wanted to know what experiences you guys have over here.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:42 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Thread Bump!

I could have sworn I posted here recently to reinforce the advertisement removal, but I guess I didn't. Anyway, I brought this up months ago and I haven't seen the option to do so, but I would really like to make this game as Premium as possible and removing the adds is simply a must. When a game offers no option to remove adds I simply find it unacceptable. It shows that the developer (nothing personal Nick, you're one of the cooler devs I've spoken with) is more interested in the revenue from the adds than allowing the player to personalize the game by being able to strip as much of the Freemium nonsense away as possible. I will never spend real currency on consumable IAP in any form, but I have no problem paying to make the game my own with various one time purchases, such as add disabling and additional, permanent content. I think this is a fair perspective for both developer and player.

Last edited by SumoSplash; 06-02-2013 at 07:23 AM..
Old 06-03-2013, 08:33 AM
iPhone 5

Quote:
Thread Bump!

I could have sworn I posted here recently to reinforce the advertisement removal, but I guess I didn't. Anyway, I brought this up months ago and I haven't seen the option to do so, but I would really like to make this game as Premium as possible and removing the adds is simply a must. When a game offers no option to remove adds I simply find it unacceptable. It shows that the developer (nothing personal Nick, you're one of the cooler devs I've spoken with) is more interested in the revenue from the adds than allowing the player to personalize the game by being able to strip as much of the Freemium nonsense away as possible. I will never spend real currency on consumable IAP in any form, but I have no problem paying to make the game my own with various one time purchases, such as add disabling and additional, permanent content. I think this is a fair perspective for both developer and player.
Thanks for the input. We also want our game to feel as premium as possible. There actually is a way to remove ads in Mega Run, although we don't communicate it in the game. If you buy any in-app purchase, it removes all popup/interstitial advertising.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Banned
iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekvanvliet View Post
We also want our game to feel as premium as possible
Says the guy for a game that has dual currency and the highest price for both of the biggest packs is 44$ each... LOL, LMAO,... This made my day... In case you dont know, Premium is a game with a higher price and NO IAP... :\

Edit: Corrected misspelling of some words due to laughter

Last edited by TheFrost; 06-03-2013 at 01:52 PM..
Old 06-14-2013, 05:42 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekvanvliet View Post
Thanks for the input. We also want our game to feel as premium as possible. There actually is a way to remove ads in Mega Run, although we don't communicate it in the game. If you buy any in-app purchase, it removes all popup/interstitial advertising.
Interesting. Spending money on a consumable to achieve my goal of a permanent purchase to remove adds. I wish I could just pay to remove the adds and that way I wouldn't have to break my unbeaten streak of never buying a consumable IAP. Ugh. Necessity makes for some strange bedfellows on the AppStore.