★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Soccer World Manager 09

05-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Soccer World Manager 09

heres a new footy management sim, takes the total to 4 now i thinks.

$3.99

http://www.apptism.com/apps/soccer-world-manager-2009

Soccer Management action designed specifically for playing on the go with your mobile device!

Guide your chosen team to league success, or save your bankrupt team from relegation. Scenarios provide additional challenges to test your management ability.

Quick progression design ensures you can get to the match action promptly for your Soccer Management fix.

Features over 1,500 players, from 3 international leagues. Future updates will include more data and content based upon your feedback. Use our dedicated forum to provide your suggestions for future enhancements at -http://www.miraclestudios.co.uk/msforum

SW:M2009 is a work-in-progress, developed in our spare time - so your feedback is valuable in crafting the ultimate mobile Soccer Management experience.

oki so thats the intro, and seen noone TOFTT it yet so just threw caution to the wind.

First off, as the game info on appstore clearly states, this is a work in progress .. this frankly shows to tbh. the presentation, as you may notice from the team selection screen above does resemble sensible world of soccer in some small way. indeed the developer has a lot of games industry experience including development of the PC conversion of sensible soccer, apparently!

The options are minimal, turn sound on/off and also vibration. instruction screen had no 'return to main page' button so its an annoying click back button for 4 pages. an easy fix, not concerned thus far.

since the game has a highly unfinished feel i am able to forgive some presentation shortcommings on this for now. the developer also states this game is being made in his spare time, but encourages feedback and promises updates. frankly at this price you would really hope that is the case, else it will get slaughtered! anyways .. moving on.

we are talking simplified management here right now, sponsorship deals, buy/sell players and training. also you have an option to purchase game breakers, which will go into in a moment. first off tho you pick your game 'scenario', weirdly. this may include winning the premiership or avoiding religation with -15 points etc. sadly at this point, and quite expected after viewing the screenies, this does NOT have real names. good ole licensing issues strike again, sigh. however, ive enquired about team/player editors and hopefully this is a feature that will get implemented.

menu options are all selectable via double tapped buttons, its quite swift and smooth, and even if it looks unfinished, has a nice feel, tho am sure the other early management games have this executed a little better (except CM2009 which i disliked a lot, visually). like i said before, there isnt much in the way of management depth, but what there is is easy to use, if a little rudamentary at this point.

game breakers! you can purchase these before each match and they are random selection of 3 each game. ones ive come across include: increased sponship money, no injuries for 20 mins, super tough defence for the 1st half etc .. theres a few of them and they act as like a wildcard for each game. its interesting and sets this apart from a serious sim to a casual fun one. i dont mind that!

onto match day, again, your favourite player names will be almost recognisable, and in some case you have no idea. but this tactic selection screen is very easy to use and far nicer than CM2009, so a big plus! once the formalities are out the way its onto the rolling match report. this comprised of a nice visual scrolling txt (i did like the font here) of the match progress. nothing amazing. has some crowd noise in the background but nothing spectacular. you can choose to follow this, introduce subs, your 'wildcard' and change tactics. you can also skip the whole game and onto the final score. another feature i agree with when yer in a hurry!

end of the match you get your revenue report and some other bits and pieces, onto the league table. that is pretty much it, that ive seen, so far.

is it a worth the money atm i hear you ask, well .. almost, but not quite. it really does need a lot of work to be super slick and properly enjoyable. there are 1500 or so player names in the current database which isnt bad, but because of the naming you are really lookig at the player rating and perhaps a clue to the real players name for some, the fake names this will be an instant turnoff, can understand that!
with some support and feedback this could be a great little management sim with emphasis on fun than hardcore sim. i think the dev will look to update this as time goes on so its worth watching for now.

also, it appears there are 3 leagues (2 english and the other is EPL American) atm with more to follow (with any luck).

hope this brief overview is of some use

Currently playing: Joe Dever's Lone Wolf and FM2014

Last edited by Acidbottle; 05-21-2009 at 03:47 PM.
05-22-2009, 05:34 AM
just a bit of an update to this.

after playing for a couple hours i can safetly say this has the potential to be one of the most fun football management sims on the appstore. it really does have an idevice feel to it and very pleasing on the eye (i'll resist the urge to mention again the other title that made my eyes bleed!).

i do suggest if anyone has any interest in this game to head over to http://www.miraclestudios.co.uk/msforum and lend your ideas for improvements or features youd like to see before you buy! will give my 2 cents later when im not skiving at work like now

i think this sort of pro-active development strategy is going to become more popular in the appstore.

05-22-2009, 06:02 AM
the new version of soccer manager is out and i have to say it has improved the game alot. Didn't know if there was a thread for it already so posted it in here.
I already have one football game so im not gonna go out and buy another to be honest. Waste of money.
05-22-2009, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgreen View Post
the new version of soccer manager is out and i have to say it has improved the game alot. Didn't know if there was a thread for it already so posted it in here.
I already have one football game so im not gonna go out and buy another to be honest. Waste of money.
So in other words you have exactly nothing of value to contribute to this thread.
05-22-2009, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
So in other words you have exactly nothing of value to contribute to this thread.
dangggggg
he said the new update made it better? that's contributing
ha

yslandia- bruce lee. plus+/openfeint-sundance kid. gamecenter-hitmonleeurface
currently playing: yslandia, mega worm,bit trip beat,meow meow happy fight, zombie highway,monster dash,eboy fixpix,land air sea warfare.
05-22-2009, 06:11 AM
He was talking about a completely different game. So the wise thing to have done would have been to post that in the thread for that game, instead of hijacking a completely different thread and then not only that, but also dumping on the game in question.
05-22-2009, 06:12 AM
Quote:
yeah if im gonna contribute anything it would be from the screenshots and all i can say is it looks childish rather than professional and a good football manager game.
05-22-2009, 06:15 AM
Quote:
In fairness, neither do you by the look of it

As for Soccer World Manager 09, this looks absolutely terrible. The player graphics look like flowers not footballers, the gameplay sounds atrocious from the description, the overall presentation of this game just seems nasty. If this is a 'work in progress' or it seems unfinished then why on Earth have they released and how on Earth can they dare to charge people money for it?!

With two very good football management games already out there (Soccer Manager and MYFC) and one other famous name released (Champ Manager), I can't see this one doing very well at all.

Video games and apps reviewed at News Shopper, a newspaper site in London, England. I'm manager of this site, which gets more than 1.4 million page impressions a month. Any devs wanting your games reviewed, please contact me. (I have a US iTunes account)
05-22-2009, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggy_Lloyd View Post
In fairness, neither do you by the look of it

As for Soccer World Manager 09, this looks absolutely terrible. The player graphics look like flowers not footballers, the gameplay sounds atrocious from the description, the overall presentation of this game just seems nasty. If this is a 'work in progress' or it seems unfinished then why on Earth have they released and how on Earth can they dare to charge people money for it?!

With two very good football management games already out there (Soccer Manager and MYFC) and one other famous name released (Champ Manager), I can't see this one doing very well at all.
its a fair comment that the style does not seem to appeal to you, it looks far better when your playing than a couple of snapshots show. the ethos of this game is sensible soccer and that style of gfx is well represented in this title. as for 'childish' im not so sure thats quite vaild in reagrds to sales. sensible soccer is one of the biggest selling games of all time and had a very simular visual style, and indeed there is some degree of polish. if your comparing it to the visuals of champ manager theres no contest because that game is so nasty looking its enough to make you vomit. ive played literally dozens of footy manger games on about as many systems and this isnt half bad at all. i think the price should be slightly lowered (its still the cheapest one on appstore btw), although it is a complete game, in so far you can play a full season, no crashes or bugs with no problem.

what it is NOT is a an accurate simulation that champ manager is, but imho that game was about the worst football sim ive ever seen in my life, i got so annoyed by the 3rd game i deleted it. sadly i have not picked up the other 2 on the appstore to comment on. with a lowered price (until the next couple of updates) it would represent a really good, easy to pick up and play fun varient on the genre.

the dev is asking for your suggestions tho, so help em out! this game is going to improve on feedback only.

Last edited by Acidbottle; 05-22-2009 at 07:45 AM.