★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Got Cow? (Universal, Retina) $.99 -> Free

05-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Got Cow? (Universal, Retina) $.99 -> Free

Spoiler Alert! Don't watch the video if you want to find all solutions of the puzzle by yourself.

Black holes with strong gravity, meteors which you can use as some kind of billiard balls, teleport wormholes and more. It's pretty fun and not very difficult. Nice to listen and watch the rocket flying and the comments and reactions of the aliens. Difficulty ramps up slowly. Alien invaders start to move @ level 27. Restarts a level quick. Tested on iPad 3rd gen., looks good, runs smooth and stable. Gameplay: Recommended!

All I can tell about the IAPs so far: There is an "Item Shop" where you can buy "Reveals The Ideal Route" for 7,500 "credits" and "Joystick Controlled!" for 10,000 "credits". Obviously consumables (because there is a "0"-badge on the icons) but I am not sure. Didn't buy anything.

Made 30 levels (30+ min) of Episode 1 "High Steaks"—most of them with three stars (highest) ratings of my solutions (use only one rocket for all invaders). One star would be enough to proceed and unlock the next level (may use multiple rockets). Didn't buy anything in the item shop and have 14,000+ "credits" (81 stars of 180). Will pick it up again for sure. There is an "Episode 2" with a lock symbol.

Completed 10 of the 20 achievements btw. Among others: "How Could You?!?—Hit 25 Poor Cows", 10 pts, or "Ultra Longshot—Fire a rocket that travels for 7,000 meters", 25 pts.

Better than Angry Birds Space? Please try it out but don't kill me when you'll maybe get frustrated by the IAPs later on. Cowlateral damage! ;-)

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)

Last edited by Habakuk; 05-26-2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Tried to edit thread title
05-26-2012, 12:32 PM
seems to be a bit more polished than the regular clones

Playing: Ski Safari, Polara, Girls Like Robots, Dynamite Jack, Monster Flip, Polymer, Super Mole Escape, Dream of Pixels, Radballs

05-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Given that work on this was underway well before Angry Birds Space was conceived, I doubt the devs would appreciate the tag of 'clone'. It's a nice, complimentary game that happened to suffer a coincidence of unfortunate release timing.
05-26-2012, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclose View Post
Given that work on this was underway well before Angry Birds Space was conceived, I doubt the devs would appreciate the tag of 'clone'. It's a nice, complimentary game that happened to suffer a coincidence of unfortunate release timing.
+1 to this.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
05-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Had read about this game a long time ago, then totally forgot about it. Didn't even realize it was out. I think I'll wait until it goes back up before I buy it - never meant to pick this one up as a freebie.
05-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclose View Post
Given that work on this was underway well before Angry Birds Space was conceived,
Interesting. Didn't even know that. And the first construction destruction game was Crush The Castle (Sept. 09) where Angry Birds (orig., Dec. 09) was the clone.

Quote:
I doubt the devs would appreciate the tag of 'clone'.
That's true. Seems that I can't change the thread's title. If your statements are correct then Angry Birds Space is the clone. Sorry.

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)

Last edited by Habakuk; 05-26-2012 at 09:18 PM.
05-27-2012, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habakuk View Post
If your statements are correct then Angry Birds Space is the clone. Sorry.
They were both developed independently and came out around the same time. Here's DM's press release addressing the issue briefly, which might help clear things up...

Quote:
ABOUT THE DEVELOPER:

A long-term employee of Relentless Software (Makers of the hit ‘Buzz!’ series), games industry artist Dave Miller began developing ‘Got Cow?’ in his free time 18 months ago.

Creating the game as a one-man studio using Unity3D, Dave taught himself to code in order to realise his concept of a gravity-based puzzler.

Edit: I asked a mod to fix the title, and they did. Thanks!!

unbeknownst to him, the next instalment of a certain mobile classic was to take a uncannily similar direction!

With Angry Birds Space launching just weeks before the planned release of ‘Got Cow?’, Dave is keen to find out if the Rovio Behemoth has left any room for indie development...
Edit: I asked a mod to fix the title, and they did! Thanks!!

Last edited by dclose; 05-27-2012 at 09:19 AM.
05-27-2012, 09:21 AM
Played about half the game last night. Quite addictive and fun. Hope everyone gives it a shot.

ıllıllı ȼǥɲƹƮȿƹ˅ƹɲ ıllıllı
DEVELOPERS I ADORE
CAT IN A BOX QUANTUM SHEEP CS54 ONE MINUTE GAMES ELEFTHERIOS CHRISTODOULATOS RAVENOUS GAMES ORANGE PIXEL RADIANGAMES CAVE LLAMASOFT (RIP) MADFINGER PASTA GAMES TOUCH FOO KODE80
05-27-2012, 11:45 AM
I'm really enjoying this title. Quite a pleasant surprise.
05-28-2012, 04:42 PM
I played straight through all 60 levels with three stars on each great game!

It's unfortunate that this game is under the shadow of Angry Birds Space, because "Got Cow?" is polished, entertaining and fun! I liked how the alien eyes track the missiles. That's good stuff!

Michael Garofalo - App Developer and author of The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook.