★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Hardcore gamers on iOS?

05-29-2012, 08:13 PM
Hardcore gamers on iOS?

Just a show of hands, how many of you consider yourself hardcore gamers? If so, do you play these games on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch? Would you if more hardcore games were available? Do you see your idevice with Apple TV replacing your Xbox, PS3 or Wii?
05-29-2012, 09:24 PM
I think 'hard core ios gamer' is considered an oxymoron to most people... I play mostly on my ipad than on my ipod because of the bigger screen size. Playing with the apple tv is extremely laggy and if you are looking at your tv you can't see where your hands are.

05-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by handintoaster View Post
I think 'hard core ios gamer' is considered an oxymoron to most people... I play mostly on my ipad than on my ipod because of the bigger screen size. Playing with the apple tv is extremely laggy and if you are looking at your tv you can't see where your hands are.
What he said.

But the thing is my iPad is played a lot more while my ps3 is just gathering dust.
The quality and depth of the games is definitely better on the ps3. No doubt about it.
The main problem, I think, is the major price differential between ps3 and iOS.
I do believe if developers could charge more, didn't need to develop freemium and run a load of sales, we would see more proper AAA quality games on iOS.
The money to be made on it is not high enough to justify long and expensive development.
And, yes, Angry Birds makes an awfull lot of money, but that is the exception and extremely rare.
Infinity Blade series makes a good bit of money too but not Halo/Call of Duty/Dead Space (console)/Mass Effect (console)/Portal money.
05-29-2012, 09:51 PM
Is 700 games on my new ipad consider me a hardcore gamer? I sure hope so, either that, or I will have to check into the nearest mental hospital soon.

But since a lot of my games are puzzle games like cut the rope hd, angry birds hd, or agent orange hd; maybe I should classify myself as a "sissy" hardcore gamer. Haha. I did buy Deadspace hd this week on sale, so maybe I'm not such a sissy after all!
05-29-2012, 09:57 PM
I’m so hardcore I won’t touch a console: give me a mouse and keyboard. I am a first-person-shooter junkie.

But iOS has me singing a different tune! I game more on iOS than I play FPS games on my Mac, and I never would have thought I’d say that.

So, not every individual game I play is hardcore, but I am I wish I had more time for gaming so I could build up the skills to match my interest level... I have too MANY games now, because they’re cheap. When games cost me more, I’d focus more and get good at just a few.

As for iOS FPS games... the potential is there, but I haven’t seen it done fully to the level I want. Certainly to the level of being great fun though.

Morgan Adams (GameCenter: “Adams Immersive”)
My upcoming first game: Scree (Forum thread)
My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: DotSpace (Forum thread)
05-29-2012, 10:44 PM
I used to be a pretty hardcore iOS gamer, then I took an arrow to the knee. *ba dum pish*

Seriously though, I used to be a hardcore iOS gamer, but since hardly any games run on a 2nd gem anymore, and I hardly have any space for the ones that do. I might buy a friend's 3rd gen though!
05-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjackid View Post
I used to be a pretty hardcore iOS gamer, then I took an arrow to the knee. *ba dum pish*

Seriously though, I used to be a hardcore iOS gamer, but since hardly any games run on a 2nd gem anymore, and I hardly have any space for the ones that do. I might buy a friend's 3rd gen though!
Don't buy that, no waste money,even 4 is not very enough now. 4 gen is a least.

gameloft ID:zhclarensi. Common play nova 2 or MC 3.
05-30-2012, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Is 700 games on my new ipad consider me a hardcore gamer? I sure hope so, either that, or I will have to check into the nearest mental hospital soon.

But since a lot of my games are puzzle games like cut the rope hd, angry birds hd, or agent orange hd; maybe I should classify myself as a "sissy" hardcore gamer. Haha. I did buy Deadspace hd this week on sale, so maybe I'm not such a sissy after all!
The way you talk is sissy.
You're sissy even you bought dead space, no matter what you play, you can't hide your nature.

05-30-2012, 05:26 PM
yes, I'm a hardcore gamer. I've been playing videogames since the late 70's. I've owned a console from every generation. I currently own a PS3, a Wii, a desktop and laptop PC, a Gamecube, an ipad2 and an Iphone4 not to mention a GBA and a couple DSs floating about the house that almost literally never get turned on. I raced online in a Grand Prix Legends league from about 2000 to 2004. I owned a force feedback wheel and pedal set in 2003 (the classic red MOMO which I still have and still works like a charm.) I spent hours trying to create a DOS boot diskette that would get me the needed 628k of ram to run Falcon3. I bought tons of payware planes and scenery for MS Flightsim 2004. I was in the Alpha and Beta test for Iracing. I even got my name in the credits of Simbin's GTR game...look right at the end of the thnk-yous and you'll see "zevious zoquis"...

I say all that becuase I think the whole hardcore/casual thing is a load of crap. Good games are good games. I've had just as much fun playing Fruit Ninja on my iphone over the past couple years as I have GT5 on the PS3. Theres a huge number of really great and inventive ios games available and the suggestion that they appeal only to a casual crowd that isn't really "into" gaming is ludicrous.
05-30-2012, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevious Zoquis View Post
yes, I'm a hardcore gamer. I've been playing videogames since the late 70's. I've owned a console from every generation. I currently own a PS3, a Wii, a desktop and laptop PC, a Gamecube, an ipad2 and an Iphone4 not to mention a GBA and a couple DSs floating about the house that almost literally never get turned on. I raced online in a Grand Prix Legends league from about 2000 to 2004. I owned a force feedback wheel and pedal set in 2003 (the classic red MOMO which I still have and still works like a charm.) I spent hours trying to create a DOS boot diskette that would get me the needed 628k of ram to run Falcon3. I bought tons of payware planes and scenery for MS Flightsim 2004. I was in the Alpha and Beta test for Iracing. I even got my name in the credits of Simbin's GTR game...look right at the end of the thnk-yous and you'll see "zevious zoquis"...

I say all that becuase I think the whole hardcore/casual thing is a load of crap. Good games are good games. I've had just as much fun playing Fruit Ninja on my iphone over the past couple years as I have GT5 on the PS3. Theres a huge number of really great and inventive ios games available and the suggestion that they appeal only to a casual crowd that isn't really "into" gaming is ludicrous.
Omg, you're a legend with a full & colorful life.
Your words may inspire a lot of people, and what you said is meaningful.