Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-11-2012, 10:09 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Ok, i like this game n thinking to by gems to unlock the wizard (i always love wizards in this kind of game) and to support the developer.

However i just want to ask 1 thing about the wizard, does he/she use spell as main offensive skills or do the skills act the same as warrior skills (can only be used when the skills are active)?

To make it clearer, im looking at the way wizards fight as in dungeon hunter, diablo and the kinds
Old 06-11-2012, 11:23 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

There is surprisingly much to like here, for a Diablo-like (though not very much alike at all). What I do not like, however, is the fact that the game locks up on my iPhone 4, full freeze, during some quests. It can happen randomly, but most of the time it happens when entering certain areas. Currently, this means that I cannot get past In Dreams 2: Bad Penny.

Anyone else seen something along these lines?
Old 06-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
There is surprisingly much to like here, for a Diablo-like (though not very much alike at all). What I do not like, however, is the fact that the game locks up on my iPhone 4, full freeze, during some quests. It can happen randomly, but most of the time it happens when entering certain areas. Currently, this means that I cannot get past In Dreams 2: Bad Penny.

Anyone else seen something along these lines?
Seemed like the first maybe five or so missions, I didn't have any problems. But ever since then I think I've had the game freeze up on me at least once on every quest. The last quest I had, don't remember the name right now, but it's one where you're half-way through advancing to Level 10, it froze about eight times on me....mostly towards the end of the quest (leaving me to believe it's some sort of memory issue).

This is all on my 3GS. If I didn't like the game so much, I wouldn't be even bothering. I did finally get through that last quest on my ninth or so try. Then it froze again on the next quest.

The dev supposedly submitted a fix for this issue more than a week ago, but it still has yet to appear. Hope it does soon as even with the IAP controversy, I do really like the game.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:37 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

I don't know what you guys are talking about regarding there being 10 unique quests by class. I've defeated the game with both the Wizard and the Knight, and all the quests, except the introductory quest and the concluding quest, are the same. There are a total of 32 - 28 shared quests and 2 unique to each class.

I paid $5 for gems in order to unlock the Wizard, and speed up the quests. It was money decently well spent I guess, but the business model is really annoying. Had I known how little actual content there is, I doubt I would have spent a dime (does that mean the business model is actually a success?).

For example, they claim 100s of enemies, but really, they are just different level versions of the same dozen or so. The equipment/loot is pretty bland and uninteresting. The quest "groups" tend to all play out on the exact same map, with the same general groupings of enemies, and even the same barrels placed in the same spot to be smashed open again.

You can replay quests, but they don't scale in difficulty which means they're trivially easy. In fact, toward the upper levels, most missions are trivially easy.

For me, the games gets some things right - especially the controls. They are what I want on a Diablo-like iPad game. The missions structure is actually a sort of clever idea, although it did lead to some nonsensical plot issues. And while there are too few environments, they're pretty nicely detailed.

The level design layout is not random. That isn't a big deal, but some are poorly laid out, which is close to inexcusable since they were not randomly generated.

But in the end, the business model represents my biggest complaint. I don't mind paying for extra characters, and I wouldn't mind paying for extra quest "groups" that get released in the future. But paying to avoid waiting times is asinine. Especially since you're very quickly looking at 8 hour waits between 5 to 10 minute quests.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:05 PM

Hello, all:

In response to some of your questions:

"However i just want to ask 1 thing about the wizard, does he/she use spell as main offensive skills or do the skills act the same as warrior skills (can only be used when the skills are active)?"

Your spells are used offensively, not defensively (as in to heal). For this reason, you should implement the same strategy in terms of buying equipment (that is, buy gear that increases your chances of getting the health orbs).

Some spells are confusion, which, when you cast on an enemy, causes the enemy to fight other enemies for you and poison, which causes an enemy to be poisoned to death.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't know what you guys are talking about regarding there being 10 unique quests by class. I've defeated the game with both the Wizard and the Knight, and all the quests, except the introductory quest and the concluding quest, are the same. There are a total of 32 - 28 shared quests and 2 unique to each class."

As a wizard, I had a dungeon (four quests) called Plan B, and I never had that with the warrior. In fact, when I toggle back and forth between the warrior and wizard dungeons, I see different quests.

"I paid $5 for gems in order to unlock the Wizard, and speed up the quests. It was money decently well spent I guess, but the business model is really annoying. Had I known how little actual content there is, I doubt I would have spent a dime (does that mean the business model is actually a success?)."

I like the fact that I cannot speed up the quests without using gems, and I enjoy that aspect of the game. It is a difference in opinion.

"For example, they claim 100s of enemies, but really, they are just different level versions of the same dozen or so. The equipment/loot is pretty bland and uninteresting. The quest "groups" tend to all play out on the exact same map, with the same general groupings of enemies, and even the same barrels placed in the same spot to be smashed open again."

Come on, the giant trolls didn't get your engines revving?

"You can replay quests, but they don't scale in difficulty which means they're trivially easy. In fact, toward the upper levels, most missions are trivially easy."

The monsters ramp up with your level. For example, in The Auction, when I first played it, the spiders were the red kind only. As I played it more (on higher levels), there were more powerful spiders and enemies I faced only on those higher levels.

"The level design layout is not random. That isn't a big deal, but some are poorly laid out, which is close to inexcusable since they were not randomly generated."

Which ones do you feel are poorly laid out? I think all of the dungeons are linear enough so you are not going off on some weird tangent, but not too linear, so that you can go off exploring.

"But in the end, the business model represents my biggest complaint. I don't mind paying for extra characters, and I wouldn't mind paying for extra quest "groups" that get released in the future. But paying to avoid waiting times is asinine. Especially since you're very quickly looking at 8 hour waits between 5 to 10 minute quests."

For me, that is when I use my gems. Again, it is a difference of opinion.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:33 PM

Btw, on my iPhone 4 with iOS 5.1.1 (no jailbreak) I completed the game twice (once with knight, once with wizard) and didn't even have a single crash.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbee10461 View Post
So, if you like the game as the warrior, you will love it as the wizard.
Your opinion. Finished the game twice (once with knight, once with wizard) and felt my second game to be a total waste of time as you are basically running through the same (ever repeating) dungeons as before, solving the same quests as before and fighting against the same enemies as before - with only very, very few exceptions. And while the game as knight is already very easy (way too easy for an average player), the game as wizard becomes (due to your ranged attack abilities) even easier, resulting in a quite boring cakewalk. And talking about difficulty: The so-called boss fights are a joke. All this is especially disappointing when one considers that you are usually paying real world cash for those 65 gems required to play as a wizard (opposed to collecting these gems by endlessly replaying quests, which is a quite mindless activity).

Nice graphics, nice controls, but this game has a serious content and replay value problem, combined with greedy economics.

Last edited by shaboo; 06-12-2012 at 09:44 AM..
Old 06-12-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaboo View Post
Your opinion. Finished the game twice (once with knight, once with wizard) and felt my second game to be a total waste of time as you are basically running through the same (ever repeating) dungeons as before, solving the same quests as before and fighting against the same enemies as before - with only very, very few exceptions. And while the game as knight is already very easy (way too easy for an average player), the game as wizard becomes (due to your ranged attack abilities) even easier, resulting in a quite boring cakewalk. And talking about difficulty: The so-called boss fights are a joke. All this is especially disappointing when one considers that you are usually paying real world cash for those 65 gems required to play as a wizard (opposed to collecting these gems by endlessly replaying quests, which is a quite mindless activity).

Nice graphics, nice controls, but this game has a serious content and replay value problem, combined with greedy economics.
You're replaying the game and you expect it to be different?
What is your definition of "replay" by the way?

I do agree that the boss fights are too easy. All I do to a lich is stand there and hack and slash, while their minions are surrounding me, and I take them all down and my health bar drops... an inch tops.... too easy. Lich damage should be amped 10X.

Thanks for the advice from an earlier poster, the health draining sword, coupled with +50% health orb bonus, plus an item with knockback is the way to go.... it really lets you take out the fodder, and the archers who hit you get knock while hurting you so 5 of them don't just sit there and whittle you down.

And the game has only crashed once on me... no biggie. Guess I'm lucky
Old 06-12-2012, 11:42 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Wondering whether the developer is planning to add more contents beside new characters.
Btw, i know im only at level 5, but i havent encountered crash (iphone4). But now i gave my wife the iphone, left me with ipad1 and itouch4. Hopefully the performance will still be good
Old 06-12-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoPolo View Post
You're replaying the game and you expect it to be different?
What is your definition of "replay" by the way?
There are two levels of replay:

1) Playing an already solved quest again (with the same character) for more experience, gold, items and gems - This is quite pointless as you gain exactly zero experience, only very few gold and gems and only completely useless loot. Have you already noticed that - in contrast to playing a quest for the first time - during such a replay you can only find items of the two lowest qualities Trash and Common (i.e. total crap), while Uncommon, Rare, Epic and Legendary items are generally not available?

2) Playing the whole game again (with a different character) - Quite pointless too, as there are simply not enough new elements to make this worthwhile. You may say "But wait, what were the big differences in Diablo or Diablo 2 between playing the game with different characters?" and you are right doing so. However, the difference is that in Heros Call you are paying money for each new character and thus should be offered a bit more! (Yes, I know, alternatively you can mindlessly and tediously play the game hour after hour to collect the necessary gems, if you simply have too much time and want to make a total idiot out of yourself ...)