★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Vishindo
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 19.7 MB
  • Version: 1.0
  • Price: $1.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: The Game
* Youre Tycho, a treasure hunting pirate who roams the skies using his magical sky swing!
* Escape the Frog Queen Mothership and the tyranny of the hairy frogs!
* Swing through the skies popping frogs, use amazing powerups and explore mysterious dungeons for big rewards!

Key Features
* Simple, innovative and deep one touch gameplay in an endless sky world!
* Exotic and dangerous dungeons will lure you in with the promise of treasures!
* Upgrades, utilities and awesome powerups will help you defeat the Queen's army of frogs!
* Adventure in style using the vast wardrobe of gorgeous clothing (every pirate has one)!
* Eight terrifying enemies and one angry Frog Queen in her indestructible ship, chasing you!
* Complete 100 missions and level up through 30 ranks!
* Game Center with 30 achievements and leaderboards!

Follow us
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PopTheFrog
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Vishindo
Web: http://www.vishindo.com

tzael's comments:

Gameplay footage (simulator, so slow speed)

05-31-2012, 03:30 AM
I've only played this for about 10 minutes now but it's honestly incredible. I love the dungeons and the customization. I can't wait to put hours into this game.

05-31-2012, 11:44 PM
Game Impressions

Played on a 3rd Gen iPad. This is going to be lengthy, so tl;dr = I liked it.

--- Interface & IAP ---

I have no idea how long I played, but I'm currently a Level 7 Junior Pirate... actually, in looking at the very comprehensive stats page, I can see that I've played a total of 6m 24s, with my longest run being 1m 30s. That's out of 9 games total, and in that time I've earned 3082 coins.

The game has IAP broken down into:

"Utilities & Upgrades" (prices run from 2,500 - 10,000, with some listed as "locked" so I have no idea how much they might cost once they've unlocked)

"Headgear" (prices from 3,000 - 10,000)

"Shirts & Jackets (2,000 - 10,000)

"Pants & Skirts (2,000 - 10,000)

There's no indication if changing the clothing results in any benefit beyond looking different on screen.Some of the Utilities & Upgrades are one-shot deals, and others increase the duration of powerups.

There are only two options on the "Options" screen. One to change the music volume and one to reset the tutorial. However it doesn't seem to remember when you've set the music volume after you close and then restart the app.

Following in the footsteps of Jetpack Joyride (it may not be the first endless runner to do this, but it's the first I really noticed it) there are "missions" that you try to complete to raise your level and get a coin bonus.

There are 30 GameCenter Achievements, of which I've unlocked 5 already. I'm not an achievement fiend, but I know plenty of people are and I'm just letting you know the game has them.

--- Graphics ---

I'll be honest, the graphics aren't what attracted me to this game. They are functional, but they just seem to be lacking something in my opinion. That's not to say they are bad. It just feels like it's missing something.

--- Sounds ---

The sounds are pretty good. The music did get tiring after a bit though.

--- Gameplay ---

This is where an Endless Runner/Climber/Faller/what-have-you sinks or shines. That said, I really do enjoy the gameplay in this one, and I have a LOT of endless type games in my collection.

This fits under the "faller" category, however you don't have platforms that you run along. Instead you move like a pendulum. You have a trail of bubble looking things following you as you fall, and when you tap the screen the bubbles tighten up into a rope and you swing in the opposite direction of where you were going. When you lift your finges, the bubbles spread apart and you resume your plummet. It feels quite natural.

You are being pursued as you fall by an unstoppable ship with the sole purpose of ending you. If it touches you it injures you, however you have a health bar so it isn't an automatic game over.

As you fall you have coins to collect, and enemies to deal with. Touching most enemies will also injure you. Touching their balloons (the ones that are suspended by balloons) will send them to their doom and give you a few auto-collected coins. Some of them have an extra balloon animal floating above their main balloon that acts as a bumper, pushing you away if you hit it, and it also causes you a bit of damage.

Occasionally, as you fall, you'll run across (at least) two types of floating landmass. One has deadly plants that will injure you if you touch them. The other has a "Dungeon" that you can choose to enter. If you can make it safely through the dungeon, you'll get a coin bonus and full health. If you fail, your game ends.

You'll come across floating hearts and powerups as you fall as well.

There may be other things that I haven't found yet, as well.

--- Complaints ---

• The music volume not saving where I set it after I've left the app.
• It's pretty easy to accidentally swing into the middle of a enemy plant covered landmass, and then you're hosed.
• On the "Buy Coins" page, having 20,000 coins be listed a "0 USD" is misleading at best. It's 99.

--- Overall ---

It plays smooth and feels right. It's easy to start a new game once you've lost. I've enjoyed my time with it so far quite a bit, and I'm sure I'll keep it on my iPad for a long time.

Last edited by Collin; 05-31-2012 at 11:50 PM.
06-01-2012, 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin View Post
Played on a 3rd Gen iPad. This is going to be lengthy, so tl;dr = I liked it.
Thanks, I'm glad you liked it and both issues (20 000 coins IAP, Music Volume) are bugs that will be fixed in a patch.

Henrik, Vishindo
06-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Game Impressions

06-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Great game that comes highly recommended!

All it needs now is Retina display support for the iPad 3
06-05-2012, 06:03 PM
PS: it's a real shame that this game hasn't gotten the attention it deserves. Everybody should give it a go as this game is a worthy candidate for Game of the Week.
06-06-2012, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelBoy2181 View Post
PS: it's a real shame that this game hasn't gotten the attention it deserves. Everybody should give it a go as this game is a worthy candidate for Game of the Week.
Thanks, appreciate that!

Henrik, Vishindo