★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

copyrighting our game

05-31-2012, 08:47 AM
copyrighting our game

We are wrapping up development. Really we are no big studio, but it's still many hours and sweat put into developing our app.

I just want to know for you guys, do you actually register or copyright your game?
05-31-2012, 02:14 PM
the copyright is automatic-- it's the same for books or other media: you don't have to do anything, they are automatically in force at creation. enforcing it however, is tough and expensive: i'm sure you're aware of piracy.

if by 'register' you're referring to patenting your game or concept, then proof and enforcement is tougher and more expensive.

either way, i don't think many people try to do these unless they have the resources to fight and win legal battles around the world.
05-31-2012, 09:34 PM
You can register trademark(s) for your game. It can cost a few hundred if you do it yourself or thousands if you go through a lawyer. It's not worth it unless you have a hit on your hands though.
05-31-2012, 10:52 PM
Trademark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJacketGames View Post
You can register trademark(s) for your game. It can cost a few hundred if you do it yourself or thousands if you go through a lawyer. It's not worth it unless you have a hit on your hands though.

This Mac App for developers by Wendy Peterson is all you will need to know about US trademarks. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trademark/id448024488?mt=12

Send her a live ticketed question, she usually answers quickly. I have filed a lot of trademarks and Wendy is the best.

STR8TS , STR8TS 6X6 , DOMINO DICE , PUZZLE DICE,
CAVEMAN TEST, 1 TO 25, SUDOKU+STR8TS, ZARTE, ABSORB WATER, YOU, TIME SHEET (PHOTO VERIFIED),Office Alarm, Travel weather, dock clock,