★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: 148 Apps "the timing is spot-on and it can be hard not to laugh out loud"
The Gamers Hub - "Its quick one-liners and ludicrous police cases really do keep you involved"
Appolicious - "plenty of genuinely humorous asides"
Shacknews - "offers much of the same style of dialogue that made you laugh at the movies, in spite of yourself"
Named by Pocket Gamer as one of the Top 10 Most Anticipated Games of 2012

Hit the streets and channel the hard-nosed, dim-witted Lt. Frank Drebin Jr. in an all-new adventure based on The Naked Gun.

Spoofing modern crime dramas & popular video gaming culture, THE NAKED GUN: ICUP features a fully voice acted, classic point and click adventure game updated for todays modern audience.

Episode 1 Date with Destiny

My name is Sergeant Frank Drebin Jr., Detective Lieutenant, I.C.U.P. Unit, a special division of the police department. We had just spend months of late night stakeouts. Night after night of eating bad take out and peeing in Eds thermos.

We were on the case of a missing Councilman. A real heavy hitter down at City Hall. He tried to get in touch with me months ago, about some grand conspiracy hed uncovered. Then he vanished! We dragged the lake and found his car, and a suitcase full of cash. He might have been trying to run or, as I indicated in my report, simply forgot where he parked his car.

Anyway, it was time to get this case to the court house. Time to roll.

Features

Fully Voice Acted Classic Adventure Game
Written by Naked Gun Writer/Producer Bob Locash
Dozens of Cases to Solve
Finger-Tapping Mini-Games
Hundreds of Collectible Objects
Upgrade Franks Apartment and Unlock New Outfits to Wear
OpenFeint and Game Center Integration with 28 Achievements

Toad In The Hole's comments:

05-31-2012, 12:28 PM
I loved the Naked Gun movies. I'm looking forward to hearing some impressions on this one.

05-31-2012, 02:55 PM
As a huge fan of "Naked Gun" and "Police Squad" myself, I had to pick this up right away.

I've put about fifteen minutes into it and so far that excitement has all but faded away. This game is slow. It just seems to take too long to do anything and the dialogue is really putting me to sleep.

Some of the lines are slightly funny, but the reading from the main actor is so slow and devoid of any comedic timing I really can't get into it. I'd like to assume that they had the actor watch the movies several times before doing the readings, but even if they did, it didn't do any good. Leslie Neilson had a great delivery. It wasn't too fast, but it had a cadence about it that sold the old Film Noir style of narration. Much of this sounds like it was being read for the first time and the actor was told to just read it slow.

Then there are the jokes. My actual profession is as a comedian and video producer - I've also written a book on improv comedy that has sold very well. That doesn't make me an expert on all things comedy, but it does pain me when I can see lazy writing.

Then comes the game play. Mostly a lot of tapping the screen (I guess we can't use "point and click" with the iPad). There seems to be a lot to do, but I'm not sure how interested I am in doing it. so far it's a lot of picking up pieces of paper that flew out your window and collecting tin cans.

There are some cases to work on -- a big one involving a missing Councilman who isn't even close to missing and other cases that you solve while waiting for more info on the Councilman case.

You can also buy furniture for your apartment, clothes for your character, and squash cockroaches to get your father's watch back (you heard me).

Speaking of the father... Frank Drebin is a great character and I was expecting the son to keep the traditions going. Not so much. At the very least they could have had Junior crash into trash cans every time he went to park his car.

I'm not looking at giving up completely, and if things pick up, I'll let you all know. But right now this game is stripped of everything that made the movies and TV shows great. Now it's just "Naked"... and not in the good way.

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5
05-31-2012, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the impressions, QuickWit. I'm bummed, but I will probably wait for a sale now. Thanks for saving me a few bucks.

Xbox Gamertag & Game Center: CzarCastic
05-31-2012, 06:36 PM
Appreciate the impressions. Bummer, this sounded pretty interesting. I think I'll wait for a price drop, unless we get reports that it gets better/changes gears after the first part of the game.
05-31-2012, 09:21 PM
The art looks good, but looking at the trailer you could see a bit of shabbiness. The voice acting on the main guy does seem lacking.
06-01-2012, 12:32 PM
I will try to get back to this game and see if it gets better. The acting in the trailer is actually some of the better lines.

I would definitely wait for a price drop on this one. I can see this hitting a dollar soon.

To be honest... I knew it was going to be bad when they mentioned that it was the ICUP unit, but didn't even bother to give us what that stood for. I liked the joke of using the letters, but not even taking the time to make up something like "Incredibly Criminally Undermining Perpetrators" Division to give us a reason let me know I was in for a lazy ride.

Let's hope it gets better... and goes on sale soon.

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5
06-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Game Impressions

06-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Now on sale $4.99-->$2.99

Xbox Gamertag & Game Center: CzarCastic
06-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Game Impressions

this is like paying for a freemiun game. graphically nice and not the worst voice acting but definately not an adventure. the game basically consists of collecting things and earning cash to buy the answers to cases from the informants. You cannot play the game at any pace due to the lack of cash thus prompting you to use the IAP model.

Seriously this is a PAID app that is ALSO using the FREEMIUM pay to play concept, yes you can play it without IAP but VERY slowly. In my opinion major MAJOR rip off. There is no gameplay as of yet and no puzzles as of yet. The case of the scary door = save 5 bucks and buy the key, case solved. Where is the puzzle in that?

Calling itself an adventure game is very misleading. Very disappointed with this...