★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Hire versus outsource?

06-02-2012, 11:42 AM
#1
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 220
Hire versus outsource?

If I hire people as employees then I can get them to do Iphone and Facebook games too right?

But if I hire outsource people then its better to hire as employees to get allsorts done that is if they are experienced in all areas or programming ?
06-02-2012, 07:22 PM
#2
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 15
First outsource, then hire.

Why? Because it lets you test people for very little money. Often for just a few hours worth of work.

Most people don't know what the heck they're doing. They're just good at appearing as if they've got a handle on things. It'll take a while for you to find the gems.

Once you do - hire them. But only if you've enough work for them to work 8 hours a day and enough income to justify it. Or can start with just part time.

Moreover, most people are good at just one thing. So it'll be dead hard to find someone who is "experienced in all areas or programming".

Find people who're damn good at what they do - and nothing else. Find an iphone developer. He doesn't need to know php or any server side programming. You can find such guys alter on. But this one needs to be the best at developing iphone apps.

06-04-2012, 06:43 AM
#3
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 220
Where

But where do you think to find these programmers which mobile companies in UK seem to be OK in hiring good people?
06-04-2012, 06:49 AM
#4
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 220
Thd thing is I need a Facebook game too as this gets millions of players right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shariq View Post
First outsource, then hire.

Why? Because it lets you test people for very little money. Often for just a few hours worth of work.

Most people don't know what the heck they're doing. They're just good at appearing as if they've got a handle on things. It'll take a while for you to find the gems.

Once you do - hire them. But only if you've enough work for them to work 8 hours a day and enough income to justify it. Or can start with just part time.

Moreover, most people are good at just one thing. So it'll be dead hard to find someone who is "experienced in all areas or programming".

Find people who're damn good at what they do - and nothing else. Find an iphone developer. He doesn't need to know php or any server side programming. You can find such guys alter on. But this one needs to be the best at developing iphone apps.
06-04-2012, 09:24 AM
#5
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkandpurple View Post
Thd thing is I need a Facebook game too as this gets millions of players right?
An iphone dev is proficient in objective C. If they code games, they either use cocos, open gl, unity or corona.

Find out what languages are needed to make a fb game. If they overlap - the same dev can code them both. Otherwise you need atleast 2 people.
06-04-2012, 12:51 PM
#6
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by shariq View Post
An iphone dev is proficient in objective C. If they code games, they either use cocos, open gl, unity or corona.
Not necessarily
I am an iPhone developer who is proficient in C, C++, C#, Obj-J and Java, AND I code games

I think you mean "an iPhone developer of view-based apps should be primarily proficient in objective C"

But I agree, the OP is unlikely to find a single individual capable of developing for both 'platforms'.
I dont believe TA is the right forum to be looking for facebook game developers to begin with
06-04-2012, 11:06 PM
#7
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Noosa, Australia
Posts: 33
Regardless of hiring or out-sourcing, the most critical thing is getting the right people. Talented, hard-working people that "click" with your vision are very rare. Be prepared to go through money finding them.

And once you find good people - treat them well and do everything you can to keep them.

Jason Stark
Disparity Games
06-07-2012, 11:55 AM
#8
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 220
Company

Can you sell a company with just outsourcing?
06-11-2012, 05:13 AM
#9
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 220
I

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandee View Post
What exactly do you mean? Can you expound this question more?
OMGPOP sold the company for a billion dollars, however, they had 12 employees and some other games and so, If I outsource and got millions of players for my 3 games then would Ihave same chance as individual to sell if offerd a sale from just outsourcing ?
06-11-2012, 07:00 AM
#10
If you want to make iPhone games with the primary intention of creating a company and selling it then you are going to be in for a long tough journey. Concentrate on making some brilliant world class games, either by hiring staff or with freelancers, and don't start out by thinking I want to sell the company and make millions.

What budget do you have? Do you have enough to pay someone full-time or would you be better putting aside a budget to pay a freelance to work 2-3 months and see how things go. Like someone else said, you could use freelancers for your first project and then if it's successful use the profits to expand your company with your first full-time staff.

A few other things to consider, do you have an office? I'm assuming full-time staff would want to work onsite with you and be given computers etc... Freelance programmers will often (but not always) be able to work onsite or remotely and should have all their own equipment.

I work as a freelance programmer (doing iOS and console dev) having worked at a number of top UK game developers. If you did want to go down the freelance route then feel free to drop me a PM and I'll try and offer some advice or see if I'm suitable for your needs.

Whatever you decide, good luck with it!

James