★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Just tested various roms in the "Sonic the Hedgehog" game via "rom.bin" swap....

05-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Just tested various roms in the "Sonic the Hedgehog" game via "rom.bin" swap....

It works! Simply rename the rom to "rom.bin" and SSH it in.

Tried:

Sonic 2
Golden Axe
Altered Beast

All worked flawlessly (aside from having only 1 button) but they ran at full speed with NO stuttering of the sound, which is normally an indicator of an optimized emulator.

The only quirk I saw was when Sonic 2 ran through its "demo play" the graphics were screwed up and scrambled, but when I started it and played, worked great.

Now I dont mean to piss on SEGA, but I can see some hacker modding this code to make a wicked fullspeed Genesis emulator for the iphone.
05-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Just tried Gunstar Heroes, got a message:

"Developed for use only with PAL and French SECAM Megadrive Systems"

Damn....

So im guessing that its limited to domestic games.....and 1 button

05-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Interesting, hopefully someone will hack this official 'emulator' to support multiple buttons, and more games. genesis4iphone isn't a bad emulator but it'd be great to run games at full speed with sound.
05-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Maybe you can try a not Pal rom for Gunstar heroes, try a us version
05-22-2009, 01:55 PM
So it runs other games better than the one it is suppose to emulate?

Hilarious!
05-22-2009, 01:56 PM
not to sound like a dullard...
but how do you that?

Flangle Flangle Flangle Play No More!
05-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinto View Post
Maybe you can try a not Pal rom for Gunstar heroes, try a us version
Im pretty sure it will work, the point is once someone with code-writing skills gets thier hands on this, I foresee a nifty genesis emulator incoming. SEGA cant close this pandora's box.

Kinda ironic how in pursuit for the best genesis emulator, SEGA itself in the end provided it.
05-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Well, this thread is going to get locked soon, but what I found interesting is that instead of creating an iPhone/iPod Touch game, they just created an emulator and slapped a rom in it. So any other game they release at five bucks is pure profit because none of their other games will have any production cost.

Fascinating.

Don't check this site or private messages often.
05-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by postalp View Post
Im pretty sure it will work, the point is once someone with code-writing skills gets thier hands on this, I foresee a nifty genesis emulator incoming. SEGA cant close this pandora's box.

Kinda ironic how in pursuit for the best genesis emulator, SEGA itself in the end provided it.
As nice as that would be, it is not really possible. Just because you have the end executable does not mean you have the source code. It is extremely difficult to reverse engineer a source file, let alone try to decipher how it was built and what other files it calls or uses. I have a feeling Zodttd (creator of many iPhone emulators) will be studying this for sure, but it will not be as easy as just dropping the executable into a new emulator.

I tried Vectorman and it crashed, along with Sonic 3...so not all games are working, at least for me.
05-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by postalp View Post
It works! Simply rename the rom to "rom.bin" and SSH it in.
Do you need a jailbroken iphone to do this, or is there some way to do it with the regular system?

Can you rename the emulator so as to have multiple roms on the phone at the same time?

Can you change the icon?

I wasn't going to buy Sonic, but I would buy it if I could play multiple games.

Frankly, if Sega came out with a best of collection for $20, I would buy that too. I did when they came out with the PSP version, so why wouldn't I get it for the iphone.