★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Create words by jumping, flying, and gravity-flipping your way through this endless running word game! Attack tiles to spell words, collect bonuses, and encounter enemy ninjas, scavenging baby dragons, and magic pandas. Play standard, speed, and endless modes using simple one-touch input.

Game ninjas have defeated devious enemies in countless games over the years, but it is up to you to help them conquer their greatest challenge: the legendary triple-word score!

FEATURES

+ Dynamic level generation: the game world varies each time you play
+ Simple one-touch input to control jumping, flying, and gravity flipping
+ Quick strategy choices to decide which letters to take and which to avoid
+ Bonus points for spelling secret words, the word of the day, and long words
+ Original chiptune themes and sound fx, retro graphics
+ Achievements and multiple leaderboards
+ iCloud-sync'd scores and local game data (requires iCloud to be available and enabled)
+ Ninjas!

Graphicalgeek's comments:
Hey everyone!

Our newest game has just been released to the AppStore! WordNinjas is a FREE endlessly sidescrolling word game that merges platformer jumping action with familiar letter and word based gameplay to be the world’s most fun word-action-dynamically-generated world game… with ninjas!

Create words by jumping, flying, and gravity-flipping your way through this endless running word game! Attack tiles to spell words, collect bonuses, and encounter enemy ninjas, scavenging baby dragons, and magic pandas. With simple one-touch input, you can play in turns against friends or play solo in classic and endless modes.

Game ninjas have defeated devious enemies in countless games over the years, but it is up to you to help them conquer their greatest challenge: the legendary triple-word score!

itunes.apple.com/us/app/wordninjas/id472994571

06-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Interesting, but I think ultimately a flawed concept due to the combination of genres (word constructing and endless runner) feeling at odds as opposed to complementing each other.

06-03-2012, 09:02 PM
I've always felt that ninjas are underrated wordsmiths and poets!!
06-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Interesting, but I think ultimately a flawed concept due to the combination of genres (word constructing and endless runner) feeling at odds as opposed to complementing each other.
I felt an awkward pause when i read about the concept of the game, but i will give it a shot for free to see how this turns out. Word games are usually "thought-out" games, and the "running" mechanic might take everything up to a "on-the-fly" thing to come up with whatever. These are just thoughts i had when i read the description. will post imps later.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
06-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Down loaded and just played
It's quite a nice game by Indie developers!
It's a little awkward at first but it seems to work
Getting the letters you need and making sure your ninja guy is ok and moving is tricky but it's nice his progress pauses as you fiddle with the letters to form a word
The amount of time is pretty generous to get some words but it will take more practice
The only IAP I see is remove adds for .99 cents
Best wishes to the developers!!!
06-03-2012, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
I felt an awkward pause when i read about the concept of the game, but i will give it a shot for free to see how this turns out. Word games are usually "thought-out" games, and the "running" mechanic might take everything up to a "on-the-fly" thing to come up with whatever. These are just thoughts i had when i read the description. will post imps later.
I think actually it would be more interesting (and cohesive) if it did work somewhat like this. As it is though, the game pauses when you choose to create a word, resulting in neither aspect of the experience possessing much flow (or challenge.) Two weak halves that don't add up to a stronger whole due to lacking a tangible connection.
06-04-2012, 07:52 AM
a pause? O_o

Doesnt that make the whole running pace grind to a halt? I mean bullet-time slomo for a limited time might be better.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
06-04-2012, 07:55 AM
Thanks!

Thanks for trying our free quirky little game!

I think it's a good point that some players will prefer everything to be faster instead of making the letter rearrange more like a minigame as it is now. FWIW, though, Kristopher (aka Graphicalgeek) and I heard different feedback from playtesters -- actually some of it a little angry, as players get pretty adamant about how they want it designed! -- and they wanted it slower with an auto-pause, and felt it was too hard. So now I think the right thing for me to do is add a new game mode where there is no pause and everything is more fluid -- more like a typical runner, but where you collect letter tiles instead of stars. Then both kinds of players might be happier, as they can pick whichever mode they want to play. That mode will make my daughter happy, but my wife frustrated.

To the IAP question: I made it free, but if you play multiple times, some ads will start appearing, and the only IAP is the 99 cents to kill the ads. I don't know if that was the right thing to do or not, but I dislike IAP in most cases and didn't see any reason to fill this game with it. Since it's a quirky combo of genres and is so very simple, I also didn't want to charge anything up-front for people to try it. Trying weird combos like this is part of the fun of being indie for me, but that doesn't necessarily mean people should have to pay anything if they feel the experiments fail.

Finally, some people asked me how the dynamic level generation works, so I put together a super casual behind-the-scenes screen capture of the code and the game setup to show it. It is certainly NOT the only way to do this, and I'd do it a little differently on another kind of game, but this is the way I did it in this little game, for anyone who might want to build on it or is just mildly curious:

http://youtu.be/VkGG9Umag0M?hd=1

Cheers,
Sean
06-05-2012, 01:13 PM
This looks interesting, trying it out now.
06-05-2012, 01:26 PM
This game is a cool concept, but I don't like that the bottom of the screen is taken up with the "endless" and "play word" buttons; this exactly where I want to tap to jump, but instead I have to tap above this area awkwardly. The bottom should be available to use for tapping/jumping, and the "play word" button should be moved up on the left side of the screen. Not sure why the "Endless" button is even there, it's totally in the way of jumping.