★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: SkyZone
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 40.6 MB
  • Version: 1.0.2
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description:
Explore Atlantis and the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World using beautiful and elaborate animating maps to help you solve each puzzle. These puzzles will help you bring closer to raising the fabled ancient city of Atlantis from its aquatic grave. The addictive tile-swapping puzzler gameplay is guaranteed to keep you hooked on this game for endless hours. Become the best explorer in the world!

Selling Points:
Beautiful and Elaborate Animating Maps
Addictive Tile-Swapping, Action Puzzler
An extra life rewarded with more points scored
Networked High Scores
Remained on AOL Top games for 112 consecutive days at it initial release and still under Most Popular Games

* Also try our other fun games: 9: The Mobile Game, Extreme Hangman, Jewel City and Snake Mayhem 2

tangerine's comments:
If you are a match-3 fan, check out Rise of Atlantis. The graphics are gorgeous and a twist that makes it more than just a match-3 game. Even though the games are very different, it sort of reminds me of Azkend - not sure why.

Anyway, I've been playing it for a while and I really, really like it. Check it out!

05-22-2009, 03:20 PM
#2
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,237
What's the relation between Egypt and match-3 games? Seems to be the common theme amongst them.

GameCenter/OpenFeint/Plus+/Agon/Gameloft Live/Xbox LIVE/PSN ID: VoodooVyper

05-22-2009, 03:31 PM
#3
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 735
Rise of Atlantis does not have an Egyptian theme. It focuses on Phoenicia and Babylon and the lost city of Atlantis.
05-22-2009, 04:52 PM
#4
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,443
Looks like a good find. I'll give it a try.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
05-22-2009, 05:10 PM
#5
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,030
VERY interesting. Good find. I just got this on the PC a little while ago. And I've played the dev's more recent game "Around the World in 80 Days" (PC) which is based on the Atlantis gameplay. I will DEFINITELY be thinking strongly about this one.
05-22-2009, 07:26 PM
#6
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
If you are a match-3 fan, check out Rise of Atlantis. The graphics are gorgeous and a twist that makes it more than just a match-3 game. Even though the games are very different, it sort of reminds me of Azkend - not sure why.
More than sort of, the whole 'drive this piece to the bottom of the playing field to add it to the artifact outline' is basically Azkend and Az has a few minigames, super-cool powerups and equally beautiful graphics. What makes this one better or different?
05-22-2009, 07:33 PM
#7
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 735
Actually, I was thinking more of the graphics than the gameplay but.... you're right, the gameplay is very similar except that Azkend is not really a match-3 game, is it?

I've played both games on my Mac and on my Touch and they are both really good and very engaging. I don't really think of them as the same sort of game, though. Rise of Atlantis is very much like Deep Blue Sea and that's also one of my favorites.
05-22-2009, 07:50 PM
#8
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
Actually, I was thinking more of the graphics than the gameplay but.... you're right, the gameplay is very similar except that Azkend is not really a match-3 game, is it?

I've played both games on my Mac and on my Touch and they are both really good and very engaging. I don't really think of them as the same sort of game, though. Rise of Atlantis is very much like Deep Blue Sea and that's also one of my favorites.
Yep at heart Azkend is still match 3. It's big twist is the ability to form matches much larger than 3; as long as like tiles are adjacent you can keep on going and going. Matter of fact Treasures of Montezuma is in turn along these lines, sort of the 'next-gen' match 3 with more gfx and animations, more powerups, minigames etc. I honestly don't think I'll ever play 'plain old' Bejeweled 2 anymore!
05-22-2009, 07:53 PM
#9
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
I've played the dev's more recent game "Around the World in 80 Days" (PC) which is based on the Atlantis gameplay.
I played that game too and really enjoyed it. I had no idea this was the same developer.
05-23-2009, 12:28 AM
#10
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD_GT View Post
I played that game too and really enjoyed it. I had no idea this was the same developer.
The computer games were both from Playrix Entertainment. The port to iPhone is someone else. But looking at the screenshots, it looks like a fairly faithful port of the game. If you enjoyed "Around the World in 80 Days" you should also enjoy "Rise of Atlantis".