★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: *The Dreamhold* is interactive fiction a classic text adventure. No graphics! No point-and-click! You type your commands, and read what happens next.

*The Dreamhold* is designed for people who have never played IF before. It introduces the common commands and mindset of text adventures, one step at a time. Theres an extensive help system describing standard IF commands, as well as dynamic hints which pop up whenever you seem to be stuck.

Ive tried to create a game which rewards many species of adventurer: the inexperienced newcomer, the puzzle-hurdler, the casual tourist, the meticulous explorer, the wild experimenter, the seeker after nuances and implications.

- Fluid interface designed for comfortable typing and reading.
- Full-length puzzle adventure with several optional side quests and hidden endings.
- Text adventure devotees can turn off the tutorials and hints, or play in Expert mode for additional challenge.
- Achievements tracked through Game Center.
- Pop-up palette of commonly used commands.
- Dynamic in-game map, so you dont have to scribble boxes on a piece of paper.
- Full support for VoiceOver (speech output) and dictation (speech input) on devices that offer these features.
- Yes, really free. Not free with ads, not freemium. Just free. I want to introduce people to IF, and this game is how I do it.

*The Dreamhold* won the XYZZY Awards for Best Puzzles and Best Use of Medium in 2004. It is also available (for free) on my web site.

(The cover art is based on a photograph by Trey Ratcliff: The Festival of Lights in Lyon (CC by-nc-sa), remixed with images of Mercury and Io.)

Tannorexic's comments:
This game was released a few weeks ago and I was really surprised that no one was talking about it on TA.
The Dreamhold was originally a PC game with very high popularity. It won an Xyzzzxy award in 2004, and raised 24k on kickstarter to port it to iOS.
It's an interactive text adventure puzzle game.
It's currently free, like most of the games by thus developer! (he is a very charitable, generous and talented guy!)
AND it has quite a small file size!
Basically you have NO EXCUSE not to download!
Its an amazing game! Please show the developer some support!

I've been playing on iPad 2, but some people playing on iPhone have been encountering a bug depending on which software your device is running, but a bug fix has been submitted and should be out very soon! But I haven't had any problems so far. And I'm completely adoring the game!

06-04-2012, 05:28 AM
Cool thanks for the post downloading now, I love these type of games
06-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Did it work on your device? Doesnt work on my iPhone but works fine on iPad.

I'm stuck at the quest to light the hay lantern..the fire place won't light it, neither will the candles...
06-05-2012, 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannorexic View Post
The Dreamhold was originally a PC game with very high popularity. It won an Xyzzzxy award in 2004, and raised 24k on kickstarter to port it to iOS.
Andrew Plotkin is an extremely talented guy...especially if he managed to raise $24K effectively to package Frotz (open source freeware Z-Machine interpreter) in with his freeware Z-Machine IF game. Best I can tell, he only added a verb touch menu and the automap!

Updated:

Aha, his Kickstarter was for a new game, Hadean Lands. Dreamhold was his "look, I can actually do iOS games" proof of concept, with Fizmo (not Frotz) as the base interpreter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...hone?ref=users

Last edited by geoelectric; 06-05-2012 at 12:43 AM.
06-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoelectric View Post
Andrew Plotkin is an extremely talented guy...especially if he managed to raise $24K effectively to package Frotz (open source freeware Z-Machine interpreter) in with his freeware Z-Machine IF game. Best I can tell, he only added a verb touch menu and the automap!

Updated:

Aha, his Kickstarter was for a new game, Hadean Lands. Dreamhold was his "look, I can actually do iOS games" proof of concept, with Fizmo (not Frotz) as the base interpreter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...hone?ref=users
Ohh I see! I wonder how much creating dreamhold for iOS cost him! Hopefully not too much since he isn't going to recouperate any charging nothing!
He is very generous! It's so rare to see completely free/no catch/no IAP/no ads on the AppStore these days.
I'm really disappointed that the game isn't getting more hype because it's completely brilliant! Maybe there's only a certain group of people who enjoy text adventures, I was a virgin to them, and he sure converted me!

It has been updated to fix the bug some users were experiencing too.

Looking forward to his next project!

I'm still stuck! Can't proceed down the dark hallway without my torch! Someone halp!?
07-27-2012, 11:13 AM
I've been playing Dreamhold a bit lately, it brings back good memories of those old BBS MMORPGs that were entirely text based... good stuff. Dreamhold says "if you think 8-bit graphics is retro then you don't know what retro is."