★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: *** Recent Review ***

Get this! - This game is a must-get! Awesome, quick, fun play, neat idea, easy to use and understand.... and the graphics are great too!
by Kylie CW

Wild West Races is an adaptation of popular racing card game Mille Bournes.

Each player manipulates a cowboy who is riding at a full speed over the prairies in a ruthless survival race. You can help him by playing a distance or a bonus card. You can also hinder the way of your opponent by playing a card which will prevent him from moving any further.

How to Play:

There are 3 game variants:
Single race - up to 100 miles;
Race - up to 500 miles;
Tournament - 3-level game, 500 miles each.

6 cards are dealt to each player in the beginning of the game. To start the game use Whip card. If there are no distance cards a player must discard. If slowing down or stopping the movement cards are in the game you have to play a remedy or the corresponding bonus card.

The game is finished when one of the players completes 100 kilometers. That means that if 5 kilometers are left to the finish, 10, 12 and 20 kilometer distance cards will be discarded.

kumomuk's comments:
Hi, TouchArcade community!

Our team has created western-themed, horse race, strategic card game for iPhone and iPod Touch - Wild West Races.

This game is an iOS adaptation of very popular tabletop card game Mille Bornes. This game also was available on Windows Mobile phones a few years ago. More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mille_Bornes

A few screens:

The goal of the game is to be the first to maneuver a cowboy and his horse over prairies and across a finish line by implementing the moves on the playing cards. Cards include distance cards with the number of kilometers a horse may move and bonus cards that can hinder the progress of an opponent or counteract the impediments placed by an opponent.

Feature Highlights:
* Fast, fun, strategic game
* Win by being the first cowboy and horse across the finish line
* High Score board
* Unique cards affect game play
* Bonus Points for cards played, card combinations, slow game, and more

You can find game here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wild-west-races/id521639563

We would be appreciated for any feedback.

Here are some promo codes:

Please, Enjoy.
06-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Big fan of the original card game so I'll give this one a try. Took FT6YN9RPPAA9

I will try to get some impressions later, but it might not be until later tonight.

Best of luck with the game.

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5

06-05-2012, 11:02 AM
PJEH3TN3TK3L taken...

thanks a lot!
06-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Quick impressions after 3 games - This is a fun implementation of Mille Bournes. It took a bit translate the cards in my mind, but it doesn't take long. The only things missing seem to be trip extensions, and I think the bonus for defending against a hazard with the protection card is supposed to only apply if you don't draw first. I like the different terrain (snow, etc.).

At one point I seem to have gotten stuck, with all my cards gone and unable to play anything. Was I confused somehow? I ended up having to start a new game.

But overall I'd give it thumbs up, especially if you like Mille Bournes.
06-05-2012, 12:43 PM

Thank you for your feedback. Very nice to hear that you enjoyed the game. We are already working on fixing the bug with gone cards. Thank you for report.
06-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Oh excellent, I got a deck of Mille Bornes when I was a kid, but could never get anyone to play the damned thing with me even though it sounded fun. Have to check this out.
06-06-2012, 03:20 AM
As I see feedbacks are fairly positive...
So we are going to continue work on this game. Please let us know what new feautures looks most interesting for you:
- Additional playing cards
- Game center support
- Ability to play with real users.
06-07-2012, 11:20 AM
FREE for 3 days!

We've made game free for 3 days to gather more feedbacks. Enjoy.
06-07-2012, 12:31 PM
There are some very nice things here with this game, but the real underlying fact is that it's basically just Mille Bornes with horses. The Dev points that out very clearly so I'm not going to knock them for that.

As far as things about the game itself... I first of all have to point out the music. I usually play games without the sound anyway, but I will turn it on to see what has been put in. For a wild west racing game I found the music to be very, very out of place. Sort of a techno jazz lounge riff playing throughout the game. I just couldn't get over how little this added to the game. Thankfully you can toggle it off, but it should have never been put in.

Graphics are okay and the game plays fine. I have no qualms about the game in that category. Fans of the original will like this game just as much.

And that might be what struck me as the problem with the game. The original is out there and can play four players in a nice package. I think I would have liked to see something new added to this.

The problem with Mille Bornes is that the "random" events are put upon you by the opponent. That's pretty basic. But it would be good if there were a few cards that if you pulled instantly caused something to happen to you (good or bad). Something that made you a little nervous when drawing a card. This could be something like an Indian attack, a saddle slip, etc.. Something like this would add a new twist to the familiar game play.

Also, here's another twist (and something I do with the deck version of the game). Have your discards be something the other player can grab instead of drawing a new card. This makes things much more difficult. Now you have to be careful tossing away a 20 mile card just because you can't use it. It makes the strategy that much more intense.

Like I said, it's a fine game and I've played through it several times. I would just like to see something new brought to the party. As it stands now it's just a re-skin. That's not all bad, but I'd love to see it just a bit more. And I will never put the music button to on in tis game.

Best of luck with the game... and in others to come.

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5
06-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Thank you so much for such comprehensive feedback. We thought about some of such improvement too and going to implement them. But unfortunately it seems gamers are not interested in such kind of games.