Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-23-2009, 12:20 AM

Default Zooloretto 1.1 Update Out Now!!

I bought the buggy version and I just checked the app store and the update is there!!

Link: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=312840471&mt=8
Old 05-23-2009, 12:35 AM

Let's just say you'll have to play this one about 4 to 5 hours to get a good feel for it. I honestly have no idea how people who've never played German board games will approach this one. I'd imagine ones who've never played these type of strategy games will try it for short period of time and dismiss it outright. These types of board games are renowned for creating tension where you have many actions available to do but can only do one per turn and hope your future plan isn't destroyed in the meantime by an opponent. To me I already know this is a great board game just curious how well it plays on a iphone. Almost all my online board gaming has been done turn-by-turn against fellow humans at either spielbyweb or mabiweb and not against an AI so this is new to myself too. My gaming group is hardcore and I kinda stopped going weekly as it got pretty serious. Still was and is fun though to occassionally boardgame but now boardgame more with family/friends.

I'll just warn those again who like the animation this has and think it's zoo tycoon like. It is not even close to that so don't think it is based on looks.

Synopsis of gameplay (try to make it super concise to give a general overview).

On your turn you draw an animal tile and choose which truck to place it in. Then next player takes turn does same thing. Once you take a truck with animals/vending stand (3 slots in trucks can take with 1, 2, or 3 animals) on it you place them in enclosures (only same animals in an enclosure). Your turn is over and other players finish take their turns.

However, before you take a truck (thus ending your turns for the round) during your turn in lieu of drawing an animal tile you could perform a single money action.
- Expand (3 coins) adds another enclosure
- Move (1 coin) single animal/vending stall from barn to enclosure
- Swap (1 coin) same animal types from barn to enclosure OR from one enclosure to another enclosure
- Buy (2 coins) animal/vending stall from another player's barn. 1 coin to bank. 1 coin to that player.
- Sell (2 coins) discards animal/vending stall from from barn.

If you place a male and female in same enclosure you produce an offspring. If no space for offspring must go to your barn. Also you don't get bonus coin, if any, from completing enclosure if last one filled with offspring.

Scoring

- Each enclosure contains two numbers (for instance the five space enclosure has a 5 / 8)
- Fill an enclosure completely you get points of the 2nd number (example five space enclosure you'd get 8 points). If one space short then you get 1st number instead.(example five space enclosure you'd get 5 points).
- Enclosures with two or more empty spaces if a vending stall is next to enclosure you score one point per animal.
- For each vending stall type (remember each different stall) score 2 points. So if you have three green vending stalls and one red vending stall you don't score 8 points but rather 4 points (2pts for green and 2pts for red)
- Each animal type in barn (not how many but type) is minus two points.

There are a few more rules but that's pretty much the gist of it. Few general tidbits which may not be obvious.

- Each player has their own zoo with three enclosures (four if you expand it). You can swipe your finger to see another players zoo anytime or there is an overview button to quickly see what type of animals everyone is collecting in their respective zoos. Strategically you may want to steal a truck you know another player wants.

- Barn is basically your overflow area. It can be good or bad. Bad at end of game each type of animal is minus two points but good in the sense if you have a paticular animal another wants they might Buy it from you thus giving you one coin and one coin to the bank.

- Game ends once any player draws the 15th animal tile. The current round is played to the end and then it is scored.

Last edited by mrbass; 05-23-2009 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: pasting post from false alert thread
Old 05-23-2009, 01:03 AM
Administrator
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

this one. I locked the other one.

arn
Old 05-23-2009, 01:36 AM

The bugs seem to have been worked out. I was able to complete 3 games without any AI getting stuck or having unlimited coins. The save feature is also there and working but it has a small issue. It appears as if the save isn't the exact moment in the game, each time I restarted the game I was a few turns back from where I left. So I had to play those turns over. A little odd but at least there is a save feature now.

So, this is what I had expected back on May 8th, a working board game Now that there is a working base I'd like to see some refinements.

1) Make the save feature actually save the exact spot in the game.

2) Add an alert/message to when the game is in it's last round. There is no indication of when the game is going to end. The board game uses a seperate stack of 15 tiles that once "opened" signals the last round. A notice when this occurs in the iPhone game would be handy.

3) There appears to be an issue when removing tiles from the center slot on the trucks on the board. It may just be me but everytime I try to move a center tile from the truck I have to try and grab it multiple times.

4) An ability to change the player avatars including the users. I think I'm going to get sick of looking at the same avatars all the time

5) Local wifi multi-player. Pass-n-play is functional but being able to use wifi would be fantastic. HUGE BONUS: Online multi-player

6) Add some expansions, more avatars to unlock. I know the devs have talked about adding some expansions after the bugs were worked out. Just wanted to make sure it was on my list.

That's all I could think of at this late hour. Very glad to see the update finally out thus making the game playable, hooray! Thanks to Spinbottle and Chillingo for getting us the update.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSnap View Post
The bugs seem to have been worked out. I was able to complete 3 games without any AI getting stuck or having unlimited coins. The save feature is also there and working but it has a small issue. It appears as if the save isn't the exact moment in the game, each time I restarted the game I was a few turns back from where I left. So I had to play those turns over. A little odd but at least there is a save feature now.

So, this is what I had expected back on May 8th, a working board game Now that there is a working base I'd like to see some refinements.

1) Make the save feature actually save the exact spot in the game.

2) Add an alert/message to when the game is in it's last round. There is no indication of when the game is going to end. The board game uses a seperate stack of 15 tiles that once "opened" signals the last round. A notice when this occurs in the iPhone game would be handy.

3) There appears to be an issue when removing tiles from the center slot on the trucks on the board. It may just be me but everytime I try to move a center tile from the truck I have to try and grab it multiple times.

4) An ability to change the player avatars including the users. I think I'm going to get sick of looking at the same avatars all the time

5) Local wifi multi-player. Pass-n-play is functional but being able to use wifi would be fantastic. HUGE BONUS: Online multi-player

6) Add some expansions, more avatars to unlock. I know the devs have talked about adding some expansions after the bugs were worked out. Just wanted to make sure it was on my list.

That's all I could think of at this late hour. Very glad to see the update finally out thus making the game playable, hooray! Thanks to Spinbottle and Chillingo for getting us the update.
agree with you
Old 05-23-2009, 04:54 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

As a long-time fan of euro boardgames I had been waiting for this. Now that I've played one game, I must say they have succeeded well in bring ing Zooloretto to iPhone.

Re the bugs mentioned above:

- yes, taking the middle tile from the lorry seems to be picky as to where to grab it (maybe a conflict with the drag-down curtain hot spot)
- game save worked well for me, had to try it a couple of times as the game got stuck when I tried to exchange tiles from my stable to my fourth animal pen (game asked for confirmation but did not proceed from there - had to load and choose a different action to continue; when attempting the same exchange again later in the game in different places, it stuck every time)
- the end game warning would be nice, but as the number of tiles left is shown on the screen it is already possible to see when the game is hitting the 15 tile end game trigger
- wifi option would be great to play the game with my wife, passing the phone around is a bit of a hassle and I prefer playing the real board game to that
- an endgame report on players' holdings and negative score modifiers should be added (or leave the board open for inspection at the game end before exiting the game)

I really like the game, but wonder how it will be met with players not familiar to the original board game. The rules are not complex, but they still are a required reading, you just can't hop into the game and expect to enjoy it fully.
As with all good board games, several plays are needed to get a feel for the tactics.

I'd like to see more of board game adaptations like Samurai, Ticket to Ride, Ra, Kardinal & König, Attika, Carcassonne... maybe even more complex games like Caylus, Puerto Rico, Twilight Struggle or Dominion (if the UI can be fit on the small screen). The target audience may not be wide enough to warrant commercial success, though.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:24 AM

Default Wishlist for next update

Thank you for your feedback about version 1.1!

We are very glad to hear that our App meets your expectations.

A small update (1.11) will fix a few more issues from your list above. It will be completed next week. After this the first big content update will follow ("Polar Bear" - version 1.2).

We will announce the next updates as soon they have been completed/approved by Apple.

Please continue supporting us!
Old 05-23-2009, 05:48 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Thanks Spinbottle for this game! After playing Zooloretto for a couple of times more, I must congratulate you for the brilliant user interface. It is easy to use and all the information you need can be found. All the small details seem to have been carefully thought out. And, as a "hardcore" gamer, I'd been perfectly happy with just the overview board with no animations and animal sounds, but I guess the game is more approachable in this "cutified" incarnation

For bugfix, could you add to the game manual the 15 tile end game trigger. Also, the Swap operation description is incorrect (it has the text of Move). And maybe add to the operation descriptions the costs too.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:21 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSnap View Post
Just got the game, think I get it for the most part but, yeah, the most glaring oddness for me so far is that center tile of the truck! Is there a trick to this? Should I aim high or low on the tile, maybe?

Oh, when looking at the final score, what is the significance of the "Rang" amount? Does this have something to do with coins left or what?
Old 05-23-2009, 10:40 AM

Thanks to MrBass for explaining some of the rules of the game and the scoring. It's taking me a while to understand Zooloretto having never played the board game, but I'm getting there

Well done to SpinBottle for getting the 1.1 update released. Hopefully now the game can finally get itself established in the store having been released, pulled, released, pulled and now released again

It's great to say that 1.1 fixes many of the issues. I've played through one full game so far and it is definitely a much more enjoyable experience now. It's annoying that a few little bugs still exist, but it's also good to see these will hopefully be addressed in the next update. I'm especially looking forward to the extra content planned from update 1.2 onwards. I think some more animals and more variety in the game will definitely add to its long-term appeal and the likelihood that people will want to carry on playing it after doing the first few games. I'd love to see some giraffes in my zoo.

Finally Zooloretto works and I'm happy about that!