★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

$77k IAP in Peter Molyneux's upcoming iOS app

06-07-2012, 09:25 AM
$77k IAP in Peter Molyneux's upcoming iOS app

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamasutra
Industry veteran Peter Molyneux is set to release the first experimental title from his new start-up 22 Cans in the next few weeks, as part of his look into how social media can be used within games.

Curiosity will present players with a small room that contains a black cube, Molyneux told New Scientist. Every player online is looking at the same cube, and as players chip away at the cube, it will become smaller and smaller until it breaks apart.

However, only the player who dealt the final blow will be able to see inside the cube. The idea is that this player will then spread the news of what was inside the cube to other players via social networking.

There is a twist. When the cube has been chipped away a fair amount, a number of special in-app purchases will be made available, allowing users to purchase special stronger chisels for money.

One diamond chisel will be made available for 50,000 ($77,400), and will essentially ensure that the purchaser is the person who breaks open the cube, says Molyneux.

"It's an insane amount of money," Molyneux said. "This is not a money-making exercise; it is a test about the psychology of monetization."

This is the first of 22 experimental games, Molyneux revealed, and each will attempt to explore the psychology of social media in video games.

Molyneux left Microsoft and Lionhead earlier this year to start his own independent outfit alongside former Lionhead chief technical officer Tim Rance.

Source
...Really?

Last edited by Haruhi; 06-07-2012 at 11:10 AM.
06-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruhi View Post
...Really?
He obviously wants to tell Bill Gates something.

06-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
Holy shite.
06-07-2012, 10:42 AM
A game with more IAP than Railworks?!?

Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
06-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Can't say I saw this coming, but somehow I'm not that surprised...

Wouldn't be surprised if in the end it got purchased just so the winner wouldn't share the secret.

Although I know it won't happen, I hope against hope that nobody purchases it.

Need professional proofreading, editing or writing that won't break your budget?
Contact me at youarelowonhealth.com or via PM.
06-07-2012, 11:46 AM
It'll get purchased accidentally... Haha it will happen.

Favorite app of all time - Dungeon Raid
06-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Very interesting. I wonder if anybody will buy it, I think somebody will.

Ascension BeatHazard Carcassonne DungeonRaid ElderSign
GreedyBankers Helsing'sFire NimbleStrong PhoenixWright Poison TiltToLive
06-07-2012, 12:31 PM
i thought there was a limit on how big a single IAP could be, or I was mistaken? [if there isn't, there should be, imaging accidently buying a $77k IAP ]

Playing: Ski Safari, Polara, Girls Like Robots, Dynamite Jack, Monster Flip, Polymer, Super Mole Escape, Dream of Pixels, Radballs
06-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Very handy, in my opinion, that this (and the subsequent) experiment will just happen to net them a whole lot of money.

Need professional proofreading, editing or writing that won't break your budget?
Contact me at youarelowonhealth.com or via PM.
06-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filing Cabinet View Post
i thought there was a limit on how big a single IAP could be, or I was mistaken? [if there isn't, there should be, imaging accidently buying a $77k IAP ]
Considering apple gets a portion (30% i think) I think they'll be cool with it