★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Skill based games, pref RPGs

06-11-2012, 06:01 AM
Skill based games, pref RPGs

I'm getting tired of all the "grind to the end" and "this is skill based we promise, but you have to grind for in game currency OR but it as IAP in order to advance"-kind of games.

All new RPGs are just grind until you get bored.

What are some good skill and reflex based games?
Preferably RPGs, but other game types or ok as well.

Dark souls really ruined gaming

Thx.
06-11-2012, 06:33 AM
Hmmm... I think Crimsonheart fits the bill. There's certainly some IAP-able segments to it, but they can fully be ignored. It's more challenging than something like Zenonia.

The IAP is to a network dungeon that I've never once visited.

There is grind, but it is only if you want to grind bosses or mobs for drops that you would need to create ultra-powerful equipment.

Need professional proofreading, editing or writing that won't break your budget?
Contact me at youarelowonhealth.com or via PM.

06-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Games from gamevil and com2us is heavily affected by IAP.
Mage gauntlet is good and skill based, no grind needing.

gameloft ID:zhclarensi. Common play nova 2 or MC 3.
06-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Thx for the tips!

Played both tough.

Mage gauntlet was a good suggestion, mage gauntlet and Swordigo where both good skill based RPGs.

Any good skill based games that don't count as RPGs? Without forcin you to buy IAP or grind for coins like in Nuts for example.

Thx
06-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Solomon's keep.
Secret of mana.
Both rpg-ish. Both skill based. No grinding needed.
Pocket rpg is actually pretty good too. I didn't feel the need to do any grinding in the course of beating this game.
06-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibliribland View Post
Thx for the tips!

Played both tough.

Mage gauntlet was a good suggestion, mage gauntlet and Swordigo where both good skill based RPGs.

Any good skill based games that don't count as RPGs? Without forcin you to buy IAP or grind for coins like in Nuts for example.

Thx

The Infinity Blade series are skill based.
06-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by proof21 View Post
The Infinity Blade series are skill based.
But there is a lot of grinding in them too.
06-12-2012, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibliribland View Post

Thx
That's too broad, but here are a few suggestions in various genres. As for skill-based, I assume you mean player skills... So on with the list.

Epoch - Was free recently... Skill-based, and not as grindy as Infinity Blade titles. Strategy and preparation works a great deal too, more than what Infinity Blade needs.

Project 83113 - pseudo runner mixed into bullet hell platforming action game. Skill based? Definitely.

Invader Hunter - the closest thing to Monster Hunter (non-iOS version). Definitely skill-based, and only minor grinding is required. Devs said there's 25% chance a monster drops the rares.

774 Deaths - you wont get past first stage without skills. Coordination, timing, dexterity. Hardcore hands down. Zero grinding, but will get you replaying stages to complete them.

Monkey Ninja - Runner with a twist. Zero grinding. Skill-based.

Fireball SE - Totally skill-based arena survival mayhem.

Sunday Morning RPG - An RPG, but one that never forces you to grind. Youre skills determine how effective your character's actions are.

Neuroshima Hex - Strategic skills required to play competitively online. Does not have a place for grinding.

League of Evil 1 & 2 - Platforming at its best. Totally skill-based. Especially if you want to climb the leaderboards. Grinding non-existent. But you may want to replay to improve completion times.

I hope that helps.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword

Last edited by Exact-Psience; 06-12-2012 at 05:39 PM.
06-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Invader Hunter - the closest thing to Monster Hunter (non-iOS version). Definitely skill-based, and only minor grinding is required. Devs said there's 25% chance a monster drops the rares.
Thanks for the reminder. Wanted this game at the time it came out, but forgot to buy it, lol. Just grabbed it.

Edit: Holy crap, this game is awesome. Trying to remember the old games I wanted back then but never bought, since I have a ton of credits at the moment and nothing to buy.

Twitter: @back2this

Last edited by backtothis; 06-12-2012 at 07:16 PM.
06-12-2012, 08:04 PM
One definitely skill based game that I recently picked up and had a blast with is called Aaaaaaaa! (perhaps someone could post the proper name); I grabbed it after seeing how popular it was on this site with some of the hardcore gamers that have been posting on this site for as long as I can remember. It's supposedly a base-jumping game; but, really it's a "fall quickly while racking up points by doing dangerous things but not so dangerous you die" game