👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

Gotta love it... =oD
Old 06-15-2012, 10:47 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
Look up Super Crate Box and Vlambeer. Muffin Knight is nothing but a glorified SCB rip-off.
Thank you, for validating my point! Game developers should be creating games that bring new ideas and fresh concepts. Don't get me wrong, I know there are plenty of games out there that I have really enjoyed, that were replicated from another game. But, we should save our money for games that are truly original. Not promote games, we have all played, with a shiny new background and a different character.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:07 AM

Really hooked on this, the visual similarities to SCB mask some very different mechanics. It's more unfair than SCB but balanced against that is a much deeper scoring system which rewards you for taking risks. It's got that 80s arcade gameplay feel and wouldn't have been out of place on the NES or even the Atari 2600. Crisp responsive controls, compulsive gameplay and a decent visual aesthetic but that's all so much window dressing. The throbbing heat of this nasty little beast is running the game again and again in a doomed attempt to hit the perfect streak that's only really possible if you've got compound eyes and the reflexes of pubescent ninja. My only gripe is that it regularly seems to throws up situations where it's impossible to avoid death no matter what you do but that could just be my doughy middle aged brain being too quick to accept defeat.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:09 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjdoom View Post
Really hooked on this, the visual similarities to SCB mask some very different mechanics. It's more unfair than SCB but balanced against that is a much deeper scoring system which rewards you for taking risks. It's got that 80s arcade gameplay feel and wouldn't have been out of place on the NES or even the Atari 2600. Crisp responsive controls, compulsive gameplay and a decent visual aesthetic but that's all so much window dressing. The throbbing heat of this nasty little beast is running the game again and again in a doomed attempt to hit the perfect streak that's only really possible if you've got compound eyes and the reflexes of pubescent ninja. My only gripe is that it regularly seems to throws up situations where it's impossible to avoid death no matter what you do but that could just be my doughy middle aged brain being too quick to accept defeat.
very well said! completely agree. =oD
Old 06-15-2012, 12:10 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Epic first post. Haha!
Old 06-15-2012, 12:15 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
+1 to this! I agree!
Old 06-15-2012, 12:26 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0oJAKEo0o View Post
Thank you, for validating my point! Game developers should be creating games that bring new ideas and fresh concepts. Don't get me wrong, I know there are plenty of games out there that I have really enjoyed, that were replicated from another game. But, we should save our money for games that are truly original. Not promote games, we have all played, with a shiny new background and a different character.
Sorry but I have to disagree. If I live by this principle, i would have never experienced what modern games have to offer just because it has been done before. Take Racing games for example. From the very first NFS title to all its sequels and spinoffs, to similar titles like Gran Turismo, Real Racing, Asphalt, etc. Racing games will always be similar, but each will have something different, mostly in very minor ways, but they are great games. But I wont skip these games just because they have been done and I have played similar titles before.

Another great example are the Roguelike Dungeon Crawler RPGs, and im talking about very similar ones like Angband, Rogue and Nethack, up to their modern grandchildren in the form of 100 Rogues or Cardinal Quest which are very recent. Also, all point and click adventure games are pretty much the same, but with different locations of interactive game elements: Leisure Suit Larry Series and Monkey Island Series comes to mind.

My favorite game series of all time... Monster Hunter, Monster Hunter 2, Monster Hunter Portable 1,2&3, MH Unite & Freedom1&2. All similar but it doesnt stop me from playing all of them.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:04 PM

I'd be interested to know a little about what goes on under the hood of this one. For instance are the diamond placements thoroughly random? It'd be nice to have them be more likely to appear in places you've cleared. Also do the monsters move randomly or on a pattern? Regardless, I think replacing the little flashing ! with a direction arrow indicating which way the monster is going to emerge from the doorway would make planning ahead a tiny fraction easier and make me less inclined to throw my phone across the room in rage. Finally I don't think power ups are necessary, the extra life at 10k points is more than enough. Power ups are only likely to distract from the purity of the central concept and make a game that already feels quite random even more of a roulette wheel.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:36 PM

the monsters move in a pattern, there is logic to the things they do like in the original Pacman. The start direction is also dictated by this, and showing arrows would remove the fun of figuring it out

Also in the second part (having completed all levels, you start in the Mob world again but in part 2) the monsters become a lot more intelligent and hunt you down more.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:01 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangepascal View Post
the monsters move in a pattern, there is logic to the things they do like in the original Pacman. The start direction is also dictated by this, and showing arrows would remove the fun of figuring it out

Also in the second part (having completed all levels, you start in the Mob world again but in part 2) the monsters become a lot more intelligent and hunt you down more.
Awesome!!!