Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-17-2012, 10:13 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Default Wow, long post!

Ninthninja,

Thanks for your thorough explanation, I thought there was some explanation because I rarely use game center, and local saves were working fine for me.

Makes sense to me, but I got one question. When I get to the unlock levels, it unlocks those levels in all belts. Shouldn't the level unlock just unlock for that belt only and not all belts? If I unlock future belts, does the game let me start on level 10, 20 etc regardless of if I got that high on that particular belt?

And would multiple local save slots solve the problem syntheticvoid alludes to?

Last edited by Connector; 06-17-2012 at 10:18 PM..
Old 06-17-2012, 10:17 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Vote for your favorite GOTW !!!

Click on above icons
to discover more about the games!

MUTANT STORM
is one of the nominees for
Touch Arcade Game of the Week
13/06/2012

Do you like this awesome version of a popular Xbox Live Arcade and PC Title?

VOTE HERE

Poll close
06-21-2012 - 06:17 AM

- Devs cannot vote for their own games -

Last edited by Agas; 06-17-2012 at 10:26 PM..
Old 06-17-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Ninthninja,

Thanks for your thorough explanation, I thought there was some explanation because I rarely use game center, and local saves were working fine for me.

Makes sense to me, but I got one question. When I get to the unlock levels, it unlocks those levels in all belts. Shouldn't the level unlock just unlock for that belt only and not all belts? If I unlock future belts, does the game let me start on level 10, 20 etc regardless of if I got that high on that particular belt?
Belts and level unlocking are treated as separate things... This is actually a game design decision that Pompom Games set in stone a long time ago and it's in all versions of the game. The game been a port cannot change any of Pompom's game design choices.

So for a player it's possible to start a game and just keep playing, if they are good then as they progress belts and levels unlock until they get to a point where they are on black belt and up to level 80. That's how Pompom designed the progression of the game to work.

Plus when you think about how the game plays... Say you start on green belt and by the the time you get to level 15 you have unlocked the purple belt and also level 10 onwards. Then as you progress more into the game more belts and levels unlock but they are separate from each other.

I noticed you added an edit about Local saves.

No matter if you add more slots for local saves achievements and scores will still have to be synced with Game Center. So another user sharing a device can use anyone of those slots and gain someone else's game progression. It's really a catch 22 really. The only safe way to stop all this is use iCloud and Game Center together which will be in a future update.

When I was implementing all this I tried some well known games with Game Center and logged in with different user accounts and found that I could gain achievements without ever playing the game with a different user. Mutant Storm's solution stops all this from happening by treating local saves separately - that way no UNFAIR GAIN can happen with game progression. If anyone can think of a better solution then let me know

Last edited by NinthNinja; 06-17-2012 at 11:02 PM..
Old 06-17-2012, 10:48 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Sounds reasonable, from a player's point of view, the more that unlocks the better, but from a logistics point of view, it kind of didn't make sense.

But I respect game design issues, did you see my edit in my last post? It was:

And would multiple local save slots solve the problem that Syntheticvoid alludes too?

I had another question too, but I'm here with one of my friends, and she made me forget what it is, so guess it'll have to wait til tomorrow.

Voted for your game for Touch Arcades game of the week, but looks like pocket planes has a strong lead. I often wonder why people like games like that and Tiny Tower, but for me, dual sticks and shmups rock!

Edit: ninthninja, curious what kind of games you like.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:07 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Congrats on the review on the front page.

This game is absolutely fabulous! I sure hope it'll sell better than Space Tripper.

It boggles my mind that an amazing game like Space Tripper didn't sell well for you, bearing in mind what kind of freemium crap that makes money by the boatloads for some developers. Yes, I'm looking at you "Heroes Call".
Old 06-19-2012, 06:01 AM

Games I'm playing at the moment are:

1. Mega Run
2. MiniFlyer

Not really taxing games put they fit into my busy schedule... I'm actually grinding at these games and refuse to pay for IAP. For MiniFlyer I've sunk so much time into it that I've effectively bought all the upgrades.

Anyway, back to Mutant Storm. The plan this week is to see if the gameplay will work on the iPod/iPhones - if so then the first update will be Universal with all the things been discussed here.

I'm thinking that level unlocking and maybe difficulty can be shared between non game center user and game center users. Technically this is wrong because other users should not benefit from other peoples games. But looking at most games they do this anyway and lets be honest a device usually belongs to one person and is not really shared. This way if you play a game logged into game center you can still play the levels when you are off line.

I think the controls in Space Tripper put people off which effected the sales. Mutant Storm has performed much better and will perform better once it gets onto the iPod/iPhones.

Last edited by NinthNinja; 06-19-2012 at 06:03 AM..
Old 06-19-2012, 06:36 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinthNinja View Post
I think the controls in Space Tripper put people off which effected the sales. Mutant Storm has performed much better and will perform better once it gets onto the iPod/iPhones.
The funny thing is I thought the tilt controls were much better than most touch-based shooters I've played (even on the iPad).
Old 06-19-2012, 12:09 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Has anyone beaten all 89 levels? Last night I was finally able to get to ~85 or so in white belt. Trying to beat the game first on white belt before moving to higher belts... Boy can it get hard. I'd imagine if I used bombs I'd have a better chance. For some reason, I always lose a life on stage 81 even though the stage doesn't seem too bad.

Fantastic game. I've gotten a lot more used to the controls now that I most of the time don't have to think about it. The more I play the game..the more the sound effects sort of reminds me of Minter games (just the a few of the effects).

About Space Tripper..its a good game..but boy its frustrating hard for me. While I beat the game using tilt controls..the tilt never clicked with me. The hardest thing is the "deadzone" never felt right to me and I'd always be moving/running into things when I'm trying not to move. I started off using tilt so never really gave touch controls a real try.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:12 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

I'll be buying this the second its available on ipod/iphones. I've got a lot of vector games/Geometry War type games and they work really well on smaller devices.

Space Tripper looked so good but i never got to grips with the tilt controls. I think some games work best with on screen buttons (such as shooters/platform games etc). The update to Space Tripper was better for me personally due to the controls but i do think the initial controls put a lot of people off.

Always think its worth spending a bit of extra time adding alternative controls
Old 06-19-2012, 03:11 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by tops2 View Post
Thanks for keeping us updated.

Has anyone beaten all 89 levels?

Fantastic game. I've gotten a lot more used to the controls now that I most of the time don't have to think about it. The more I play the game..the more the sound effects sort of reminds me of Minter games (just the a few of the effects).

About Space Tripper...
Wow, haven't had time to play to get up to 89 levels, for some reason, I've been playing grand theft auto 3 a lot. But weird thing, before I got mutant storm I played some cave games like dodonpachi resurrection hd, esp 2, bug princess everyday.

But since I got mutant storm, I've been playing my dual stick shooters more. But only have gotten to level 30 or so... But I never play in white belt, usually the 4th belt, sometimes the 2nd belt.

The sound effects remind me of the game Tempest for some reason.

Anyone recommend space tripper? Haven't heard of it before, but usually I'm not a tilt fan with shooters. Does it have touch controls and are they good? I'm going to have to go see if Sanuku has a video on youtube.

Ninthninja, I would be glad for this game to go universal, but it won't affect ipad gameplay right? I know some of the enemies are very small, and I like it that way, I hope making this game won't compromise any playability on my ipad, even though it would be cool to play on my iphone.

Last edited by Connector; 06-19-2012 at 03:15 PM..