★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: AUTUMN SALE!
The official version of one of the best board games - Steam: Rails to Riches.
Take control of a railway company, issue shares, build railroads, deliver goods along an ever changing network of tracks and stations and make profit to expand.
* Can you finance both the most extensive track network and the most powerful locomotives?
* Which routes will give You the best returns on their costs?
* Can you beat the opponents to the most profitable shipments?
* Will you make enough money to pay your investors?

You build the tracks, upgrade towns, improve your train, and grab the right goods to make the longest, most profitable deliveries. Score your deliveries and add to your income or victory points, balancing your need to invest against your quest to win the game.
The goal of the game is to score the most victory points and become the best railway company.

Features:
- official Steam: Rails to Riches game
- original artwork
- ingame interactive tutorial
- languages: English, German, Dutch, Portuguese, Polish, French, Spanish, Italian, Korean, Japanese, Chinese Traditional
- optimized for smartphones and tablets
- play with AI, with friends or both
- 3 levels of difficulty AIs with individual strategies
- 3-5 player maps
- climate sounds and music matched to maps
- adaptable animation speed
- inapp official rules
- unique, original board game feel on Your device
- colorblind mode

Coming soon:
- online multiplayer
- online leaderboard
- achievements
11-03-2015, 04:41 PM
For board gamers, this is an exciting release. The past two or three years saw a lot of board game conversions to iOS but 2015 has been pretty sparse. Steam is rated #57 on BoardGameGeek and anything in the top 200 would be considered an excellent game. I don't know much about this implementation yet, but the source material is definitely top-shelf.
Be forewarned though - there are maps that have to be downloaded and these take an absurdly long time. Honestly, start downloading them when you go to bed!

Last edited by RandallPeek; 11-03-2015 at 05:10 PM.

11-03-2015, 05:44 PM
Yea picked it up thinking I'd have a quick go before the missus went to sleep. Nope... took 45 mins to download maps (note I have really slow internet so it's probably like 5 mins for normal people).

Buuuuut... Tutorial is not working for me. Just hangs on "loading" screen.

I can start a game against AI but don't know what to do at all. Had a fiddle and it won't allow any of my actions so there is a lot I am obviously missing. Trial and error is not the way to learn this. Shame...
There is a PDF manual but it's for the board game so loads of unnecessary detail I think. And I haven't got the energy to read all that right now. Will do over the weekend.

I think there are only 2 maps though so no idea why they are so big to download.
11-03-2015, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baracus View Post
Yea picked it up thinking I'd have a quick go before the missus went to sleep. Nope... took 45 mins to download maps (note I have really slow internet so it's probably like 5 mins for normal people).

Buuuuut... Tutorial is not working for me. Just hangs on "loading" screen.

I can start a game against AI but don't know what to do at all. Had a fiddle and it won't allow any of my actions so there is a lot I am obviously missing. Trial and error is not the way to learn this. Shame...
There is a PDF manual but it's for the board game so loads of unnecessary detail I think. And I haven't got the energy to read all that right now. Will do over the weekend.

I think there are only 2 maps though so no idea why they are so big to download.
Hmmmmm... probably not the ideal first experience you'd like to have with a game. I was glad to see it was premium though and I'll be keeping my eye on it. Thanks for your impressions.
11-03-2015, 08:10 PM
Wow, maps took about 90 mins to download, the game is now 400 Mb

Had the same issue with the tutorial when running it from New Game, but the good news is that it ran fine from the Help menu. Time to do some studying, I think.
11-03-2015, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattyfus View Post
Wow, maps took about 90 mins to download, the game is now 400 Mb

Had the same issue with the tutorial when running it from New Game, but the good news is that it ran fine from the Help menu. Time to do some studying, I think.
I tried from Help menu aswell after having to force shut the app - still hung for me. Will try again now.

EDIT: it worked this time. I can steam on with it now.

Last edited by Baracus; 11-03-2015 at 10:08 PM.
11-04-2015, 12:14 AM
The app isn't working at all for me. When it tries to do the initial download for the maps it says "unable to connect to the Internet" and then crashes to the home screen. I've rebooted and tried countless times and it just won't work. My device is an iPad Air 2.
11-04-2015, 01:13 AM
'unable to connect to the internet. 404 not found.' I've read a lot of people saying they cannot get the maps to download, I guess maybe a server issue? I'll give it a bit longer before I ask for a refund. A real shame the launch is going like this, especially since I haven't been able to find any support site.
11-04-2015, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by burningzenithx View Post
The app isn't working at all for me. When it tries to do the initial download for the maps it says "unable to connect to the Internet" and then crashes to the home screen. I've rebooted and tried countless times and it just won't work. My device is an iPad Air 2.
Same here.
iPhone 6+
11-04-2015, 02:24 AM
You actually only get one map unless you plunk down an extra four bucks for the German map. The default map is for northeastern US and southeastern Canada. This is a brutal game. Don't be surprised if you wind up in last place or even bankrupt playing against easy opponents. The learning curve here is shockingly steep. If you want to be good at this, I suggest the strategy articles at BoardGameGeek.