Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-17-2012, 08:16 AM

This is such a cute, beautifully done game, I have added it to the Puzzle RPGs section in my site!
Old 06-17-2012, 01:14 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by istara View Post
This is such a cute, beautifully done game, I have added it to the Puzzle RPGs section in my site!
Thanks a lot, I am really happy to read that!

I must say, the only review we have on the US store so far doesn't seem very fair...
But the next update will include a timer less mode and an option to disable hints as requested.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:22 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Haven't read the review in question - and I wouldn't put too much store in App Store reviews for the most part - but Jesus, 2-2 is a hell of a difficulty spike. As has already been observed, you've got no explanation for why there have to be three rounds, and/or why the player has to pass all of them, but you then go from levels which are pretty much utter formalities to one where I'm desperately scrambling to make matches as fast as possible and still end up with a whole board left and only ten seconds on the clock... well, it doesn't feel like it's my fault. I was briefly convinced that I had to be getting the wrong idea, that of course I didn't have to win all three rounds, because it was clearly impossible to do that on this stage except for very skilled, dedicated players, ha ha! Then the time ran out and it went to the game over screen and I thought oh, crap, they weren't kidding. Not fun.

Shame, because I'm quite impressed with this otherwise. I would bring up some minor problems with the art - the perspectives used on the character portraits kind of clash sometimes, particularly when you've got a lot of them standing close together. It's really polished, though, the UI is very easy to use, and the game has a couple of nice ideas added to those "proven mechanics" here and there. Hell of an achievement for a small team, I have to say - but if it stays this tough I'll probably end up wandering back to Puzzle Quest 2.

And the translation is a bit weak, yes, but hardly a deal breaker. I've seen much worse. Hope you can work something out to get it tweaked. (If you need any more help I'd be happy to volunteer.)

EDIT: Yeah, this desperately needs the difficulty tweaking as far as I'm concerned, sorry. I shouldn't have to be trying quite this hard so early in the campaign - lost that level five times in a row now, playing to the bottom of the board, the top, everywhere in between, and while I am improving by a few seconds it still just feels way. Too. Damned. Hard, if there's seven chapters all together. And yes, I know you're supposed to buy gear to boost your stats, but a) I don't know what the stats do, since nothing's explained them and b) you get a tiny, tiny amount of gold per match and the items are very expensive.

Last edited by EightRooks; 06-17-2012 at 02:53 PM..
Old 06-17-2012, 03:08 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightRooks View Post
- but Jesus, 2-2 is a hell of a difficulty spike.
Thank you very much for the feedback. I would very much prefer that we nailed it right on the first time, but if we didn't then we're certainly going to make the adjustments required.

So, rest assured that an update will be submitted in the coming days. I am adding a Casual mode in the Options, so I'll probably add another option to make the game easier.

Difficulty balance really is something that got me worried when we made the game. In the later chapter (5 and up), even I have to grind on lower levels until I level up or collect enough gold to buy an upgrade from the shop. And I have a fairly large number of hours on the game as you can imagine .

Just to be sure, did you equip the Earth elemental on 2-2? It shouldn't make that much of a difference, but I'm asking also to make sure that the notification we put on the start screen is visible enough.

In any case, I'll work something out for the next update, probably with a global difficulty setting.

Quote:
And the translation is a bit weak, yes, but hardly a deal breaker. I've seen much worse. Hope you can work something out to get it tweaked. (If you need any more help I'd be happy to volunteer.)
I'm really giving this forum my "best forum award" , you guys are amazing! I have not received an answer from badmanj yet but I'll let you know if for some reason he is not able to help.

Ps: Just read your edit before posting and we'll change the level end so that you get some golds even when you loose. The current setting is just too punishing and the world map really doesn't make it clear that you can grind level/gold by replaying lower level.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:39 PM

Yeah, I equipped the elemental, the prompts for that and the basic gameplay mechanics (apart from the missing rules!) seem okay so far - fairly in your face.

I can imagine the difficulty level as it stands being fine for some people (I'm sure some forum members will be along to say I have no idea what you mean, ho ho, was that level supposed to be tough? ) but much as I'll happily admit I'm not that great at games that stage really felt like too much of a leap. Like I said, if I'm going as fast as I can, tapping for a new move as soon as it'll let me and still running out of time with more than half my final set of requirements still to be filled it just feels a bit too hardcore. I don't mind grinding for equipment - I'd happily play through earlier levels a few times to scrape some cash together, the basic game is fun and polished enough, no question - but with the tiny amounts you get versus the prices in the shop and the way those earlier levels were almost no challenge at all, it just felt like it'd be a bit too much of a chore.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:53 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Oh you're definitely not alone Had the same problem myself. The 6 minutes time frame really isn't very forgiving.

Doesn't help the ingredient multiplier doesn't seem to always register. Have had it a lot of times where I've matched a x7 ingredient, and only see 3 ingredients get ticked off my list.

I'd remove the 6 minute time limit from the Poker and Battle games entirely, it just seems redundant as you're already competing against the AI, and on the later games it only adds an unnecesary difficulty hurdle, considering the games then last long enough that you actually need to win the first 2 rounds, or face a Game Over because you hit the time limit.

As for the Potion game, either up the time limit or reduce the needed stars.

Anyway sorry for ragging on the game this much, I am liking it Just think the difficulty needs some tuning, since it goes from trivial to hard a bit to suddenly.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:10 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urthop View Post
Doesn't help the ingredient multiplier doesn't seem to always register. Have had it a lot of times where I've matched a x7 ingredient, and only see 3 ingredients get ticked off my list.
Damn, that sounds like a genuine bug!
I'll try to reproduce and fix it.

Quote:
I'd remove the 6 minute time limit from the Poker and Battle games entirely (...) As for the Potion game, either up the time limit or reduce the needed stars.
Sounds good to me, I will probably do that in the easier difficulty setting.

Quote:
Anyway sorry for ragging on the game this much, I am liking it Just think the difficulty needs some tuning, since it goes from trivial to hard a bit to suddenly.
I'm really happy to get some feedback and suggestions on how to improve the game!

By the way, I just received the revised text for the game from badmanj so a huge thank to him because that's a 14000 words file . It does make a significant difference .
Old 06-17-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel - Owloh View Post
Damn, that sounds like a genuine bug!
I'll try to reproduce and fix it.
...the x3, x5 etc. are supposed to take that many ingredients off? I thought it was just a points multiplier. Doesn't seem to trigger for me, either.

EDIT: Okay, no, it's doing it sometimes, but not always as far as I can tell. May well be something going on there.

Last edited by EightRooks; 06-17-2012 at 08:42 PM..
Old 06-17-2012, 08:45 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightRooks View Post
...the x3, x5 etc. are supposed to take that many ingredients off? I thought it was just a points multiplier. Doesn't seem to trigger for me, either.
Yes it should remove as many ingredients as the multiplier shows. I can confirm the bug .
However this is only a visual bug from what I can tell, but it certainly affects your decisions as a player, so it makes the game harder.

I am really sorry about that, I should be able to submit the next version tomorrow. I hope Apple can approve it quickly.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:56 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Why oh why did I open this thread?

I've got like 40 "Match-3" games now, so when I saw the title, I was like, "Meh. What could possibly make me interested in this game?"

And then I saw the screens...

This game looks beautiful!

And the gameplay? Whoa, is this ever not just another "Match-3!"

Looks like I've got to reload my iTunes account again. Sigh.

DBC