★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Fish! A new iphone game

11-22-2008, 04:43 AM
Fish! A new iphone game

Hello everybody,
here is the release of my first iphone game called Fish!
It's a combination of casual action with free style aquarium gameplay. It also features a 2D fluid dynamics engine which responds to tilting events on the iphone.

http://jychongiphoneapp.blogspot.com/

Itunes link: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=297436859&mt=8

The youtube video of some of the gameplay is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBEGiQccO9I

I appreciate all comments(good and bad). This is my first iphone app so I am rightly nervous. Comments on the game will be nice so I can improve on it. (Just comment on the video if you aren't going to buy it. No big deal. )

thanks!
Jiayi

Last edited by jychong; 11-26-2008 at 02:37 PM.
11-22-2008, 04:52 AM
Interesting game. That's what i like about the game in iphone by indie dev. They're very much different from the 'normal' console, pc, mobile phone. And, it's all because of the unique-ness of the iPhone!

Cool!

A good sword remain inside its sheath
A good M16 remain in safe mode
God! So, many games n so little money!!

11-22-2008, 05:32 AM
Firstly, thank you for being honest and not pretending to be someone else other than the developer as some others have done.
Secondly, I think it's good you have made a video of your app too, allowing us to see how it looks in action. I noticed you have the video url in the iTunes description. I think it's a real shame the iTunes app store doesn't include the option for a video demo of the games, which of course is beneficial to you as the developer as well as us, the customer.
Thirdly, I like your idea for the game. It looks very different and would appeal, no doubt, to a lot of people. It's not really for me, however, but each to their own.
I just wanted to say well done- it looks like you put a lot of effort into the game. Hope you do well with it.
11-22-2008, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe View Post
Secondly, I think it's good you have made a video of your app too, allowing us to see how it looks in action. I noticed you have the video url in the iTunes description. I think it's a real shame the iTunes app store doesn't include the option for a video demo of the games, which of course is beneficial to you as the developer as well as us, the customer.
That's a good idea about the ability to watch a video demo of the games instead of just pictures on the iTunes app store. But, who is going to host the videos? Apple?

The ability to click a link to the videos are much better or better yet the ability to click the link directly to the dev main website and watch the game video demo. I think it's also important that dev promote their main website instead of just the games. This way, they can invite people to subscribe to their own newsletters and send latest updates or whatever.

This can create their own fan base and also make them more successful in marketing their own games. Instead of just depending on other sites to do it. Most of the dev site I've gone to offers nothing much. Certainly, doesn't make me want to visit their site again!?

Maybe, they can post news about their latest projects, or info on updates, offers tips, cheat and even contest?

Okay, I know seems like a lot to do. But, hey, it's for their own benefits that they also improve on their main website so that customers or potential customer will keep coming back for more!

Heh, just a thought..

A good sword remain inside its sheath
A good M16 remain in safe mode
God! So, many games n so little money!!
11-22-2008, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jychong View Post
Hello everybody,
here is the release of my first iphone game called Fish!
Aww. looks nice!

Are the fish supposed to be animated though? or just static sprites? Different personalities (speed / awareness / shoaling)?

If you're going to be upgrading / adding features, how about adding some 'background' objects? (these could just be 'fish' with a stationary or differently reactive personality such as a random timer for an opening chest, urchins that retract to fast localised changes, plants that move in the current)
11-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googlyhead View Post
Aww. looks nice!

Are the fish supposed to be animated though? or just static sprites? Different personalities (speed / awareness / shoaling)?

If you're going to be upgrading / adding features, how about adding some 'background' objects? (these could just be 'fish' with a stationary or differently reactive personality such as a random timer for an opening chest, urchins that retract to fast localised changes, plants that move in the current)
Hi there,
thanks for your comments... Right now the fish do not have any AI for shoaling for awareness. However, they do have AI for how much propulsion to apply in the water. The fish also grow bigger as they eat more food.
One cool thing I added to the game is the collection of "medal images". These are basically artistic renderings of your playing style. You gain these medals as you level up enough points in the game. The images are rendered based off how you tilted your ipod touch/iphone as well as your fish movements.

cheers,
Jiayi
11-22-2008, 10:11 AM
The water appears to be like it was in AquaForest...slightly sluggish (not your fault)

Looks good, and i like how the water follows the alignment of the phone! keeping my eyes peeled!

Plus+ ID: Wegmans
11-22-2008, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegmans View Post
The water appears to be like it was in AquaForest...slightly sluggish (not your fault)

Looks good, and i like how the water follows the alignment of the phone! keeping my eyes peeled!
Yea I did spend a fair amount of time trying to get the fluid physics engine actually running at a reasonable frame rate on the iphone/ipod touch. Speed optimizations are definitely on my mind for the next update...

cheers,
Jiayi