★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: 82 Inc.
  • Genre: Role Playing
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 31.0 MB
  • Version: 1.01
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Over 7.2 million shapes shattered!

Shape Shatter is the most deliberately pointless game that you won't be able to put down. It's got everything you love about casual games: random loot, leveling up, hyper-adorable characters, and wasting hours and hours of precious time in order to increase your profoundly meaningless numbers.

You'll be so hooked by the constant endorphin rush that you won't notice the complete lack of actual gameplay!

Shape Shatter is part game, part satire, part psychological experiment, and part exploration of pointlessly compulsive game mechanics. And yet, it provides an experience that is inexplicably satisfying and compelling.

easmussen82's comments:
Hello! I'm the developer of New World Colony (big TA thread here) and my newest game, Shape Shatter, was just released today.

Here's the free download link: Shape Shatter in iTunes

I've noticed that most modern games have some sort of progress bar or level-up system included. I figured that this must be a very powerful mechanic so I decided to build an entire game based entirely on filling progress bars. This Penny Arcade comic sums up the inspiration nicely.

So in this game players swipe to obliterate these adorable cartoony shapes and earn XP for every pattern they find and destroy. Players complete randomly-generated missions, collect loot, and unlock power-ups that get stronger over time. Basically, anything and everything you do fills one of dozens of progress bars. My goal was to make the player feel this constant rush of endorphins.

Here's some screenshots. Would be very glad to hear any feedback you have on the gameplay or the concept. Enjoy!

06-15-2012, 12:22 PM
I like the idea of getting a lute as loot. Funny!

06-15-2012, 04:45 PM
I love it. It's very well executed and is addictive, as it should be. The one thing I'd change is the art style on the shapes - I'm not a big fan of the faces - but I love everything else about it. The sounds are great too.

and the horse you rode in on

Awaiting: Ridiculous Fishing // Random Battles // Monster Loves You! // Punch Quest // FIST OF AWESOME // Hammer04 // Icebreaker: A Viking Voyage
06-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Glad you like the game! Are the faces too cartoony? Or just don't look right? Would you prefer if the faces were gone and it was just the shapes?

Independent iOS developer. 82 Apps
06-17-2012, 10:45 AM
Game Impressions

A game I hate to admit I'm loving!

It's the ultimate in pointlessness with clever combo scoring!

How hard would it be to throw in a couple of new modes with an inking of a point? Like a Survival mode (this would need to have its own internal perk system as some leveled up perks from the normal game would completely break this) where the player must make target scores within so many moves to earn more moves? Or a times mode where a player is compelled to see how much XP they can earn in a fixed amount of time?

The IAPs are COMPLETELY optional and so far I'm getting pretty far without them.

4/5

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
06-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
any chance a Universal or HD version will be released in the future?
06-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
A game I hate to admit I'm loving!

It's the ultimate in pointlessness with clever combo scoring!

How hard would it be to throw in a couple of new modes with an inking of a point? Like a Survival mode (this would need to have its own internal perk system as some leveled up perks from the normal game would completely break this) where the player must make target scores within so many moves to earn more moves? Or a times mode where a player is compelled to see how much XP they can earn in a fixed amount of time?

The IAPs are COMPLETELY optional and so far I'm getting pretty far without them.

4/5
That's good! And 'ultimate in pointlessness' was pretty much what I was aiming for, so I'll take that as a compliment!

I have been thinking about making another game using the same mechanics that actually does have a point. It would not be hard to throw on a timer or limited move count to make it more competitive. And maybe extra combos could be formed if new shapes appeared that automatically created a match or combo within a row or column. I could still have the player 'level up', so that each game they play they have the potential to reach a new high score.

One additional feature I'm thinking of adding is a Mana bar and spell scrolls and spell books. Spell scrolls would be earned within treasure chests, and would be one-use powers such as 'convert all shapes to squares' which would help in completing missions and the link. Spell books would allow you to cast a spell any time you want, as long as you had the mana. Spell books would be purchased with IAP tokens, or by trading in extra perk gems.

The IAPs are designed to be completely optional. I didn't want the players to feel forced into spending money. However, I do believe that as players keep playing, they'll realize how much help the 4x4 grid would be in terms of high scores and completing missions, so they'll buy the upgrade for that.

06-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
any chance a Universal or HD version will be released in the future?
It's possible, but I want to see if the game can generate a decent user base first. Right now, it's very hard to tell if this will become a success.

06-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
right on... and the music/effects... is it just me, or are there none?
06-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
right on... and the music/effects... is it just me, or are there none?
There are lots of sound effects. I tried to create a bunch of really satisfying crunching/smashing sounds. Kind of like when you step on frozen puddles and they crunch beneath your feet.

If you have system sounds muted, they may not be playing. Also, the volume control is a bit wonky. It's a side effect of allowing users to have background music playing while the game is playing. I'll try and find a way around it in a future version.