★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Battery Life

11-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Battery Life

Hey guys,
I had a quick question about battery life on the iPod Touch or iPhone. I know some games use more battery than others, and was wondering if you guys could help me out. I am going on a car trip soon, and want to purchase some apps that I have already tried out and love. I want to buy Galcon, Toy Bot Diaries 2, and Tanzen. I'm guessing tanzen probably wouldn't drain the battery very fast, considering how there isn't that much animation going on at once, but am not sure if the full versions of Galcon and Tanzen will drain my battery faster than the lite versions for some reason.

Thanks in advance for your help! Also, sorry if any of these posts already exist on these forums, I could only find ones related to overall gaming, not specific games. Thanks!
11-22-2008, 03:26 PM
I havent played any of those games, but I can suggest you getting a car charger from amazon, i got 1 for 1 dollar, and that way you can play all u want while the ipod is being charged. I also got an FM Transmitter and it also charges the ipod from ebay for only 24 dollars and its really good!

11-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisking1o1 View Post
Hey guys,
I had a quick question about battery life on the iPod Touch or iPhone. I know some games use more battery than others, and was wondering if you guys could help me out. I am going on a car trip soon, and want to purchase some apps that I have already tried out and love. I want to buy Galcon, Toy Bot Diaries 2, and Tanzen. I'm guessing tanzen probably wouldn't drain the battery very fast, considering how there isn't that much animation going on at once, but am not sure if the full versions of Galcon and Tanzen will drain my battery faster than the lite versions for some reason.

Thanks in advance for your help! Also, sorry if any of these posts already exist on these forums, I could only find ones related to overall gaming, not specific games. Thanks!
Hello, I am the developer of TanZen. TanZen and TanZen Lite are identical games. One just has more puzzles than the other. There isn't anything in TanZen that puts a tax on the battery, and you should be able to play the game for many many hours on a single charge. When the game first came out, with 100 puzzles, I could finish the entire game in about 3-4 hours, and still have lots of battery power left.

One word of advice, though. Turn off your wifi during trips, as it sucks a lot of power looking for a connection.
11-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Send a message via ICQ to brewstermax Send a message via AIM to brewstermax Send a message via MSN to brewstermax Send a message via Yahoo to brewstermax
Well

TBD probably would drain it fast, but overall Galcon would give you about 5 hours or so on a iTouch 2G; 3-6 on an iPhone in airplane mode. TBD maybe 3 hours on either. Gaming is a great thing on the iPhone and iPod Touch, but honestly get a battery pack for it and a charger for the airplane or whatever. It will make it a lot better for the long run.
11-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Send a message via AIM to Kuratsu Send a message via MSN to Kuratsu
Another tip for battery life. In addition to turning off wifi, I suggest turning down the brightness (I usually keep mine just to the right of the left side of the slider) and turning off auto brightness as they both drain the battery quite a bit.
11-22-2008, 03:33 PM
get scifly dogfight its only a dollar and it hardly decreases the battery life at all. No joke
11-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underoath777 View Post
I havent played any of those games, but I can suggest you getting a car charger from amazon, i got 1 for 1 dollar, and that way you can play all u want while the ipod is being charged. I also got an FM Transmitter and it also charges the ipod from ebay for only 24 dollars and its really good!
Wow, $1! I remember when i got an hdmi cable for my ps3 on amazon for $3 with shipping included and i thought that was a good deal, but i'll need to look around for a cheap charger. I'm afraid i'll get one and it won't work with the new ipod touch 2g port though =(

Thanks LitteWhiteBear for the help in TanZen, i've been considering buying it and after playing the white version it seems like a great, calm game to play during a car trip, where there's sure to be traffic.
11-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisking1o1 View Post
Thanks LitteWhiteBear for the help in TanZen, i've been considering buying it and after playing the white version it seems like a great, calm game to play during a car trip, where there's sure to be traffic.
You're very welcome! Glad you're enjoying it!
11-22-2008, 03:56 PM
None of your applications to be chosen are off the battery-draining sort. If anything, there are lots of ipod-functions that drain more battery than your games.

Personally Tanzen doesnt really use battery, galcon uses a bit