Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-13-2013, 11:30 AM

Default Core Puzzle Game

Play and develop your abstract thinking. Learn to look at the problem from a new angle. Find a solution that no one has yet come up with! Rules of the game are quite simple and you will learn them quick. Still this ain’t as easy as it looks? This is a challenge. To complete all levels you will have to work hard. You'll need all your knowledge.

Rules:
• You need to lead a ball from start to finish. Mix balls, divide and merge them together on the way to victory.
• Define the path to the finish yourself.
• The game does not track the time spent on finishing the level. Still the overall score is calculated.
• The most important goal of the game is to find the shortest path for the ball to the finish line.

You'll need a quick wit, intelligence and lateral thinking in this game! The first few puzzles are quite simple, you will need them only for better absorption of the play mechanism. Further on the difficulty increases. Each new level you will need to solve more complicated problems. You will need to come with new original moves and keep track record of your previous good solutions.

• Refined and sophisticated game mechanics
• Gradually increasing levels of difficulty
• 120 puzzles
• Hundreds of various options to solve puzzles
• Retina Display Support
• Stunning visual effects
• Game Center support

Link to get the game!

Link to watch video!

Old 11-13-2013, 11:07 PM

What do you say about this game? Do you like it?
Old 11-13-2013, 11:19 PM

How does the game's mechanic differ from that in Trainyard? From the demo video, there are more than a few coincidental similarities.

If this game is indeed similar to Trainyard, how difficult is this game compared to it? As you may know, the later Trainyard levels are absurdly difficult (speaking from personal experience).
Old 11-14-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kmp3 View Post
How does the game's mechanic differ from that in Trainyard? From the demo video, there are more than a few coincidental similarities.

If this game is indeed similar to Trainyard, how difficult is this game compared to it? As you may know, the later Trainyard levels are absurdly difficult (speaking from personal experience).
Trainyard has 7x7 game field and hence more simpler levels.
But this game has 7x10 (widthxheight) game field and more complicated levels, you could try it, it's really interesting.

Also i want to say this game has more interesting graphics. It's not good to compare to such a great game as trainyard, but as you asked for this i answered
Old 11-14-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:

Some levels a quite hard, i must admit this. So you can try and then make some comments for the game
Old 11-14-2013, 02:14 AM

Are you the game's developer? You have quite a knowledge of the game, and I cannot tell judging from your posts.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Are you the game's developer? You have quite a knowledge of the game, and I cannot tell judging from your posts.
That's right. I am the game developer. Just interesting what do you all say about this game. I don't know, maybe it's so hard or not so interesting.
That's why i really need to ask you all about the game.

The programming process was not so hard, but there will be a lot of things to work for. And this game takes about 3-4 months of programming.

Next games will be more interesting if this game is not (or maybe it is, don't know). They will be not so hard and not puzzle games. I think that this type of games isn't really interesting at all for ordinary gamer.

What do you say? Am i right or not? Thanks to you all!
Old 11-14-2013, 03:12 AM

Quote:
I thought that such games maybe more relevant or oriented to devices like iphone/ipod.

I wrote a lot of games and some games were really hard to program (like 3d car simulator for direct3d9 and windows os), some of them not.

Anyway, i will try to make more interesting games, maybe i will port that car simulator game to iOS/Android.
I saw a lot of great car racing games and maybe it will be harder to try to catch some people on my game.

And the last thing - i don't really understand why does my game have so little comments or this is normal for all games?
If anyone can answer, so please do this

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2013, 12:16 PM

Jadez,

First, congrats on releasing your (presumably first) game. I had guessed that you were the developer but was unsure of it judging from your posts.

I had an opportunity to play through the first "world". There is a lot to like about the game, but there are also some opportunities for improvement. Getting attention drawn to your game will always be a challenge. Don't be discouraged. Keep participating in this forum (and other similar forums) and be courteous and polite when interacting with the community, and you will eventually get the attention of the community (here or elsewhere).

One possible reason for the lack of initial interest in the game is a problem with the discoverability of your game. For example, when I typed the keyword "core" in iTunes, your app did not even show up among the top / short lists. In fact, your game did not turn up even for some common keywords I tried about puzzle games (I forgot which ones I tested).

Here are the positives in my early impression about the game:

1. Polished presentation.
2. Minimalistic clean graphics.
3. Good voiced tutorials.
4. Gradual learning curve.
5. Bug free (so far).
6. Nice gesture control. In some ways, I like your gesture-based interface far better than Trainyard.

Here are some areas which you may consider modifying and improving:

1. Add an instruction option in the main menu, so that a player can review the gesture control which may be difficult to rediscover otherwise (despite the initial tutorial).
2. I don't understand the scoring system at all. There is no explanation.
3. A pet peeve of mine with Trainyard is that the game never shows the "optimal" score / step to beat a level. Include some indicator for the "optimal" solution, such as the number of tracks or length of the electron path needed to solve the level. If the "optimal" solution is NOT known, then put down your "stock" solution. This gives the player a target to shoot for.
4. The solution tab is confusing. I know you are mirroring the functionality in Trainyard. However, it looks now as if you are asking the player to submit two different solutions to beat each level. I suggest that you remove the tab analogy and implement a new to "bookmark" a partial solution for referencing.
5. The speed gesture control needs to have a wider range. The meter is still showing about 1/3 speed at the slowest. I actually want the option to completely stop the electrons so that I can study my solution better. In Trainyard, this was not possible, which I did not like.

Lastly, it is very difficult not to see the extremely close resemblance between your game and Trainyard. This will unfortunately turn off some gamers who may be seeing your game to be simply derivative. Perhaps you can make clear in your app description on why your game is "better". At least in the first "world", I had yet to see any new mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadez View Post
I thought that such games maybe more relevant or oriented to devices like iphone/ipod.

I wrote a lot of games and some games were really hard to program (like 3d car simulator for direct3d9 and windows os), some of them not.

Anyway, i will try to make more interesting games, maybe i will port that car simulator game to iOS/Android.
I saw a lot of great car racing games and maybe it will be harder to try to catch some people on my game.

And the last thing - i don't really understand why does my game have so little comments or this is normal for all games?
If anyone can answer, so please do this

Thanks!

Last edited by y2kmp3; 11-14-2013 at 12:20 PM..
Old 11-14-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Jadez,

First, congrats on releasing your (presumably first) game. I had guessed that you were the developer but was unsure of it judging from your posts.

I had an opportunity to play through the first "world". There is a lot to like about the game, but there are also some opportunities for improvement. Getting attention drawn to your game will always be a challenge. Don't be discouraged. Keep participating in this forum (and other similar forums) and be courteous and polite when interacting with the community, and you will eventually get the attention of the community (here or elsewhere).

One possible reason for the lack of initial interest in the game is a problem with the discoverability of your game. For example, when I typed the keyword "core" in iTunes, your app did not even show up among the top / short lists. In fact, your game did not turn up even for some common keywords I tried about puzzle games (I forgot which ones I tested).

Here are the positives in my early impression about the game:

1. Polished presentation.
2. Minimalistic clean graphics.
3. Good voiced tutorials.
4. Gradual learning curve.
5. Bug free (so far).
6. Nice gesture control. In some ways, I like your gesture-based interface far better than Trainyard.

Here are some areas which you may consider modifying and improving:

1. Add an instruction option in the main menu, so that a player can review the gesture control which may be difficult to rediscover otherwise (despite the initial tutorial).
2. I don't understand the scoring system at all. There is no explanation.
3. A pet peeve of mine with Trainyard is that the game never shows the "optimal" score / step to beat a level. Include some indicator for the "optimal" solution, such as the number of tracks or length of the electron path needed to solve the level. If the "optimal" solution is NOT known, then put down your "stock" solution. This gives the player a target to shoot for.
4. The solution tab is confusing. I know you are mirroring the functionality in Trainyard. However, it looks now as if you are asking the player to submit two different solutions to beat each level. I suggest that you remove the tab analogy and implement a new to "bookmark" a partial solution for referencing.
5. The speed gesture control needs to have a wider range. The meter is still showing about 1/3 speed at the slowest. I actually want the option to completely stop the electrons so that I can study my solution better. In Trainyard, this was not possible, which I did not like.

Lastly, it is very difficult not to see the extremely close resemblance between your game and Trainyard. This will unfortunately turn off some gamers who may be seeing your game to be simply derivative. Perhaps you can make clear in your app description on why your game is "better". At least in the first "world", I had yet to see any new mechanic.
Thanks, you gave me a lot of useful suggestions, now i concentrated on another good project, i just want to say that this game was like "first try" in ios games, i am in game development since 1999 and not only games, so true assembler/c/c++ programmer. This project is not what i was doing till rhis moment. The main features of this game, just for me are more interesting graphics and more bigger field (field height), yes it's only using opengl 1.0, but we (with my friend graphics designer) was trying to make simple, fast and also not so trivial graphics.

The first try for ios gaming and the first negative result is so bad for me, because i really thought the game will at least be commented. But it has only one comment from USA, that's really disappointing for me.

I understand all things which you have mentioned, but anyway i thought the result will be at least more "good" in terms of comments.

Thanks for your reply!

Last edited by Jadez; 11-14-2013 at 01:28 PM..