★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: What if an iPhone....

11-22-2008, 05:57 PM
What if an iPhone....

So, keeping along with apples idea of only having one button and making it mainly touchscreen, what if the home button was like the analog stick on the psp? I think it would work great, could use it for navigation pages and safari, and since the iPhone is becoming a great system for games, this would eliminate hard to use onscreen analog sticks which you easily slide off. All while keeping the iPhone with just one button, still the same,click it, and it goes home. The only problem i can see is someone accidentally pushing the button to hard while playing a game and going to the homescreen, but i'm sure theres a solution? What do you guys think
11-22-2008, 08:14 PM
hmm

I wouldn't get a new iphone or touch just because of that. How big would it be anyways? you wanna keep it so it fits in a pocket without being annoying

just might work though

11-22-2008, 08:27 PM
well, have you ever felt that little tiny analog stick on a psp?
11-22-2008, 08:56 PM
one that is embeded, much like the button is now...
so that when in your pocket, you wouldn't have a stick poking at you
or mess up the control

the touch home screen button is so much different that an iphone though...
11-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Send a message via ICQ to brewstermax Send a message via AIM to brewstermax Send a message via MSN to brewstermax Send a message via Yahoo to brewstermax
you're talking about basically a optical cursor. Well i think that that would ruin the simplicity of the iphone. Honestly Apple should open the SDK to allow devs to make accessories for the iphone in the form of d-pads, analog sticks, etc., which would allow DS/PSP style play. That would really bring the iPhone to the next level. Or Apple could release a gaming accessory that snaps on and connects through the 30-pin USB on the iPhone/iPod Touch. That would make it more universal. But no do not ruin the simplicity of the bare iPhone. That would be a disaster. Maybe put a sensor under the home button to track the finger for certain things, but no analog.

Honestly if Apple was smart they would do several things.

1)Make the screen cover the whole face of the device. There is room to make a 5" screen. I know that would make the home button in a unusual location, but i'd put it under the bottom part of the screen. Push on the bottom of the screen and it pushes the home button. Or change the sleep button to one push is home. 2 is sleep.

2) Allow BT keyboards. Even just your own. The keyboard and a light office suite would make this a true laptop replacement.

3)Make a model without a camera. This keeps it out of businesses.

4) Bring aluminum back. The plastic is horrible. A fingerprint magnet. Very scratchable. And it cracks. All resulting in you getting sued. Multiple times.

5) With the larger screen it would have to be thicker for the components, right? not really. If Apple used LEDs the thickness wouldn't have to be greater, just slightly more expensive. LEDs are clearer and allow denser pixels anyway. Better for games and movies

A lot of these are also good for games. But Apple should think about this over copy and paste or MMS. I wouldn't use either, but would love any of the above. Apple can be as restrictive as they want with it, as long as its usable.
11-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewstermax View Post
Well i think that that would ruin the simplicity of the iphone. Honestly Apple should open the SDK to allow devs to make accessories for the iphone in the form of d-pads, analog sticks, etc., which would allow DS/PSP style play. That would really bring the iPhone to the next level. Or Apple could release a gaming accessory that snaps on and connects through the 30-pin USB on the iPhone/iPod Touch. That would make it more universal. But no do not ruin the simplicity of the bare iPhone. That would be a disaster.
+1
I wonder why they haven't yet learned the possibilities from things like iControl Pad.
11-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killquake View Post
So, keeping along with apples idea of only having one button and making it mainly touchscreen, what if the home button was like the analog stick on the psp? I think it would work great, could use it for navigation pages and safari, and since the iPhone is becoming a great system for games, this would eliminate hard to use onscreen analog sticks which you easily slide off. All while keeping the iPhone with just one button, still the same,click it, and it goes home. The only problem i can see is someone accidentally pushing the button to hard while playing a game and going to the homescreen, but i'm sure theres a solution? What do you guys think
Great idea mate! I bet some hardware modder is gonna try this out if they get wind of it. Also you could have something much flatter than the PSP stick. XD
You could also have a digital sensor under the home button instead (as above) which would look much better.

Last edited by Haephestos; 11-23-2008 at 02:46 PM.
11-22-2008, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewstermax View Post
you're talking about basically a optical cursor. Well i think that that would ruin the simplicity of the iphone. Honestly Apple should open the SDK to allow devs to make accessories for the iphone in the form of d-pads, analog sticks, etc., which would allow DS/PSP style play. That would really bring the iPhone to the next level. Or Apple could release a gaming accessory that snaps on and connects through the 30-pin USB on the iPhone/iPod Touch. That would make it more universal. But no do not ruin the simplicity of the bare iPhone. That would be a disaster. Maybe put a sensor under the home button to track the finger for certain things, but no analog.
Do you realize the hypocrisy of that statement?

"Don't make the iPhone more complex, but rather, require consumers to buy add-ons to play certain games"

How does this not ruin the simplicity?
11-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Two things I would really like to see on the iPhone would be Video capturing capabilities and Video conferencing, there are phone in Spain that had that feature back in 2005
11-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Send a message via ICQ to brewstermax Send a message via AIM to brewstermax Send a message via MSN to brewstermax Send a message via Yahoo to brewstermax
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeersoup View Post
Do you realize the hypocrisy of that statement?

"Don't make the iPhone more complex, but rather, require consumers to buy add-ons to play certain games"

How does this not ruin the simplicity?
Allow me to explain. I'm not saying make it required, but rather make the playing of certain games easier with an attachment. For example, I would play Bugdom with a d-pad, but right now with the motion controlled gameplay, its a disaster. Don't require the accessory, but recommend it for real games. Some games really need something like this, but have to settle for other ways to play, often resulting in disaster. A bare iPhone is the essence of simplicity, with an analog stick, with limited functionality, it would ruin it.

Apple should consider entering into the console and handheld gaming market.