★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: CastleGuard2 Update 1 In Review

05-27-2009, 06:04 AM
CastleGuard2 Update 1 In Review

Hi guys!

Some Videos:
Avatar Customization: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRpkODZJVJw (1:38)
Gameplay Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFPLDY2XFxM (4:07)
Boss Battle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i1Epk_q2Wo (2:34)

CastleGuard2 is a 3D Hack 'n' Slash RPG developed by me! It might remind you of games like Asheron's Call or World of Warcraft or Everquest. Except it's offline. It's got the oldschool gaming humor in it (I'm a longtime D&D player) inspired from many gaming sessions.

I expect the first update to CastleGuard2 to go live any time now. The pre-release was put up last month, at the low price of FREE. During that time I gathered a ton of feedback from many thousands of people. After 75,000 downloads, the most typical one star comments I received were:

"GRAAH!1 Wut do I do??! This game not worth FREE" or
"Hahaha!! Stupidest game I've ever played lol" or
"Lag, like a slideshow!" or
"Can't move, I'm dizzy in my chair, make it like idracula".

These were helpful in identifying the most severe things needing fixing: lack of instructions, framerates on iPhone, and the tilt-based move controls... which I thought were way cooler than, well, everyone else did Some of the other comments were encouraging though, and I thank the foresight of those folks

So those issues were fixed right away. I then kept on developing until I got the game to a point where I was more than certain the official release was worth $0.99...

Here are some of the things I've added:
Character Customization System: Choose your face, hair style, hair color, facial hair, facial hair color, clothes
Move control overhaul: New d-pad for move and turn.
Framerate overhaul.
Interface Overhaul
Ambient Sound Effects
Footstep Sounds
New Enemy: Darkling
New NPCs
NPC Animations
Narrative and Dialog System
New Outdoor Level and Dungeon Levels
Autotargetting System
Ammunition Readout for Missile Weapon
Independent Attack Buttons
Target Information and Healthbars
Attack Powerup and Chargeup Ability
Player Healthbar
New Boss Battle
Compass

As I said, the update should be live any time now! As always, I welcome your critiques and feedback.
05-27-2009, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyoung View Post
Hi guys!

Some Videos:
Avatar Customization: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRpkODZJVJw (1:38)
Gameplay Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFPLDY2XFxM (4:07)
Boss Battle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i1Epk_q2Wo (2:34)

CastleGuard2 is a 3D Hack 'n' Slash RPG developed by me! It might remind you of games like Asheron's Call or World of Warcraft or Everquest. Except it's offline. It's got the oldschool gaming humor in it (I'm a longtime D&D player) inspired from many gaming sessions.

I expect the first update to CastleGuard2 to go live any time now. The pre-release was put up last month, at the low price of FREE. During that time I gathered a ton of feedback from many thousands of people. After 75,000 downloads, the most typical one star comments I received were:

"GRAAH!1 Wut do I do??! This game not worth FREE" or
"Hahaha!! Stupidest game I've ever played lol" or
"Lag, like a slideshow!" or
"Can't move, I'm dizzy in my chair, make it like idracula".

These were helpful in identifying the most severe things needing fixing: lack of instructions, framerates on iPhone, and the tilt-based move controls... which I thought were way cooler than, well, everyone else did Some of the other comments were encouraging though, and I thank the foresight of those folks

So those issues were fixed right away. I then kept on developing until I got the game to a point where I was more than certain the official release was worth $0.99...

Here are some of the things I've added:
Character Customization System: Choose your face, hair style, hair color, facial hair, facial hair color, clothes
Move control overhaul: New d-pad for move and turn.
Framerate overhaul.
Interface Overhaul
Ambient Sound Effects
Footstep Sounds
New Enemy: Darkling
New NPCs
NPC Animations
Narrative and Dialog System
New Outdoor Level and Dungeon Levels
Autotargetting System
Ammunition Readout for Missile Weapon
Independent Attack Buttons
Target Information and Healthbars
Attack Powerup and Chargeup Ability
Player Healthbar
New Boss Battle
Compass

As I said, the update should be live any time now! As always, I welcome your critiques and feedback.
I would buy your game simply for referencing Asheron's Call. My first and still my favorite mmorpg of all time.

05-27-2009, 06:28 AM
This is the most impressive 'one man work' I ever seen.
05-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Thanks Santa, I love working on RPG technology more than any other genre.

Pharmx, as far as Asheron's Call goes, I too have a few years of precious memories. It hit a particularly resonant note in my gamer soul and will always be my favorite. From Beta to learning the ropes on Harvestgain and then being a monarchy general on Wintersebb in the Paladins of Asheron. It's going to be a lot of work but I am slowly putting the online pieces in place to make an online game out of the engine I'm building here. You will definitely note some similarities when that happens I think, it's unavoidable!
05-27-2009, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadSanta View Post
This is the most impressive 'one man work' I ever seen.
+1

For a 1 man team it's a really good game, I will surely like the new update! Looks really good can't wait!
05-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyoung View Post
Thanks Santa, I love working on RPG technology more than any other genre.

Pharmx, as far as Asheron's Call goes, I too have a few years of precious memories. It hit a particularly resonant note in my gamer soul and will always be my favorite. From Beta to learning the ropes on Harvestgain and then being a monarchy general on Wintersebb in the Paladins of Asheron. It's going to be a lot of work but I am slowly putting the online pieces in place to make an online game out of the engine I'm building here. You will definitely note some similarities when that happens I think, it's unavoidable!
I used to play on Harvestgain! I used to live in Massachusetts too (how's that for coincidence). All I have to say is if you can recreate the loot system they used (completely random loot generator....sometimes useful, sometimes useless items) as well as some of the PvP elements (remember all the DT smack talk?), you'll have a faithful following. I know quite a few people who left AC to play WoW that would love to see something even remotely similar on the iPhone.
05-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Is this still not compatible with 1G iPod Touches?

I'm a staff editor at GamePodunk.com. Follow me on Twitter (@HLLivingLoco) for games and fun!
05-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Yes, it's compatible. I've adjusted the update speed of the application to give more even performance across different generations of devices. The only true incompatibility came from me originally not checking off the box to allow 1st gen devices when I *first* released CastleGuard. That was quickly fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHrox View Post
Is this still not compatible with 1G iPod Touches?
05-27-2009, 11:33 AM
David congrats on this remarkable game update. Btw, I wasn't neccesarily satisfied with your last two attemps at this game, but I know that's what updates are for. And from the videos it appears that your ambitious project is certainly coming to fruition, I'm really pumped up about it. I have a few questions, is there a story with objectives in your game? Or is it just fighting, which is fine. Also are there loot drops, a trading system or skill trees
I not too familiar with D&D games, except for the Never Winter Nights series, so I don't know what to expect from this game. But like I said, based on the screenshots and your list of updates this game is begining to look awsome.

Helvetica will treat you good if you take time to understand her.
05-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Just so you know Dave I started a thread with a copy of your blog entry in the upcoming games forum.
Can't wait to download the update, I didn't know it was submitted about a week ago.