★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: W.E.L.D.E.R. goes multiplayer!

06-20-2012, 10:34 PM
W.E.L.D.E.R. goes multiplayer!

Hey everyone! We just spent the last 3 months holed up making W.E.L.D.E.R. Wars, our new multiplayer game mode available as a free update for W.E.L.D.E.R.!

It comes out in the App Store tonight at midnight!!

From the press people:

---

Ayopa Games is pleased to announce that a new and highly anticipated W.E.L.D.E.R. update will be coming to iOS devices worldwide on June 21. Finally, with this new update, you will be able to play against your friends in a new mode called W.E.L.D.E.R. Wars. This new multiplayer mode lets players use power-ups, trash talk, and watch their opponent’s moves in a battle for victory. The update will include the following features:

-Challenge your Game Center friends to a weld, or weld with random opponents over Game Center.
-Use power-ups to gain a swap advantage or stymie your opponent with a Mine or a Toxic Tile.
-Chat with your opponents.
-New 2 Player Wins leader board.
-Earn Gigawatts for winning a weld war!
-Weld of the Day! Every day is a new word.
-The Wrench is now discounted and on sale in the single-player game!
-Faster loading times plus more polish and bug fixes.
-Undo button on iPhone! Tap the Swaps gauge to undo your last swap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	welder-screen-iphone-trigger-mine.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	44586   Click image for larger version

Name:	welder-screen-iphone-gamescreen-toxic.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	44587  

Game Developer
Check out my game W.E.L.D.E.R. in the App Store.
06-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Sounds great, can't wait to try this with Mrs. Drelbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!

06-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Good idea poorly executed.
I keep getting error messages about server timeouts etc when playing which is as bad as in-game ads.
06-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewomble88 View Post
Good idea poorly executed.
I keep getting error messages about server timeouts etc when playing which is as bad as in-game ads.
Those are now fixed. Let me know if you still get them.

Game Developer
06-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Thank you.

One thing that is still present that really needs to be fixed is the load-up. When the start-up menus are being shown and you tap the screen a few times, the game remembers the taps and you get taken into a random game that you didn't want. This is so damn annoying and HAS to be changed.
06-21-2012, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewomble88 View Post
Thank you.

One thing that is still present that really needs to be fixed is the load-up. When the start-up menus are being shown and you tap the screen a few times, the game remembers the taps and you get taken into a random game that you didn't want. This is so damn annoying and HAS to be changed.
Right so you tap a bunch of times and enter 2P mode and enter a random game as a result?

2.01 ships tonight and will take the user back to the 2P games list directly if the user departed the app from a 2P game or from the 2P games list last. So that will improve the experience a bit but we will definitely look into your suggestion!

Game Developer
06-22-2012, 02:49 AM
Thanks.
It isn't a bug, it's just that when the game is loading and you press the screen a few times it remembers where you tapped. So when the front menu appears it then takes you into whatever mode that your previous tap(s) lined up with.
09-02-2012, 11:30 PM
I see that using some Gigawatts will give you a slight advantage in multiplayer. And of course, if you run out of Gigawatts you can buy some more.

I think I'm giving up on this game. It's pretty clear that the designer won't be satisfied until he finds some way to make me routinely cough up money for Gigawatts, and I don't have any intention of falling into that trap. I just wish I'd known before buying.
09-03-2012, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastspinecho View Post
I see that using some Gigawatts will give you a slight advantage in multiplayer. And of course, if you run out of Gigawatts you can buy some more.

I think I'm giving up on this game. It's pretty clear that the designer won't be satisfied until he finds some way to make me routinely cough up money for Gigawatts, and I don't have any intention of falling into that trap. I just wish I'd known before buying.
Completely agree.
How difficult is it to bolt on the original, classic game that was released before the stupid Gigawatt update so people like us can enjoy the game without feeling like we have to spend money ?
09-03-2012, 12:27 AM
Deleted this a long time ago due to the update that added IAP. Was a great game at release, and actually relatively highly successful. I guess developers wanted more, didn't mind ruining the game in the process.