★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: In the Nordic country of Sommerlund, it has been a custom for centuries for the warlords to send their sons to the Monastery of the Kai.
There, they are instructed in the skills and disciplines of their noble fathers.
The Kai monks are masters in their art, and the children in their charge love and respect them, despite the harshness of their training.
Then, one day, when they have learned the secret specialties of the Kai, they return to their homes, equipped in body and mind to defend the Kingdom from the constant threat of the Lords of the Darkness.
Cruel enemies, who, since they declared war on Sommerlund and were defeated, vowed revenge against the dynasty of King Ulnar, and wait for the time to return.
The entire kingdom knows that, if that happens, the Lords of the Kai are the only ones who can stop them.

goiMot's comments:
Android Version:

06-21-2012, 10:24 PM
Ugh... just give me a straightforward digital translation of the gamebook, thanks. :P

06-21-2012, 10:41 PM
this looks cool.
06-21-2012, 11:14 PM
Looks good. And i kinda like the way the controls look. I hope it plays well. Will TOFTT when i get back from lunch.

EDITownloading. Will post imps later.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
06-22-2012, 03:15 AM
Played this a little bit and it's a mixed bag for me, although i would lean towards a more positive vibe. Sure, it's good and i like it, but it isnt perfect.

The combat mechanics are really good and I think theyve been executed well. Basically a "time-your-defense-to-get-attack-opportunity" thing. Similar to the old Prince of Persia games. Once in range of an opponent, your character automatically unsheathes his sword and the directional controls become an attack button. The "towards the enemy" direction is your attack button, while the other buttons become position shift buttons. Then there is a defense button on the right. Holding it down allows you to dodge and block almost all incoming attacks, however it doesnt give you attacks of opportunity. A timed defense button press will give you attack opportunities that will let you deal guaranteed damage within a time-window.

There are skills that get triggered automatically or ones with toggles that drain energy, like stealth, which lets you sneak past enemies unnoticed.

The exploration is story driven and split into "chapters" usually introduced by a narrative. The movement around a chapter is quite slow, but it didnt matter much to me. You pickup equips from enemies defeated, receive it from characters you save or assist along your journey, or some you find on the ground.

The animations arent really that smooth. More like low-frame sprites. Battle wouldve been flawless if the animations were smooth.

Sounds. Well, there are very minor sound effects and a background music, but this is where the game kinda fails. Once engaged in a battle, I couldnt hear any sword clash sounds, or miss-whoosh sounds. Not even grunts when you kill or hit something. There are minor sound effects, but nothing i notice being there.

The narrative is delivered in a CYOA style of story telling, and the game gives you choices. There are some spelling and grammar errors, but they are rare. However, there is a problem I found. When given choices, and the second choices showing only partial text, the only option to read that is to tap it to select it, then the first option isnt clickable anymore. I didnt find a way to scroll the text options back to top to choose the first option. This happens when each options are too wordy. Big flaw right here coz it messes up your decision making, but im sure the devs will get a fix for this later on, OR i may have been ignorant that there may be a scroll option im missing.

Other than that, if you can just go with whatever choices you are stuck with, the game is pretty good. I hope there's a fix for the text scrolling during decision screens and the game will be more "adventurey." If they add more sound effects, especially during battles, the game will more than double in satisfaction.

This title is still a good pickup for it's $1 price, but it's a difficult recommendation for everyone. Anyone who likes narrative type of RPG-ing like in pen and paper era, you may find this game somewhat amusing... I know I did. It has obvious flaws, but i enjoy playing it. Will play some more and see if I have more to say, negative or positive.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
06-28-2012, 08:10 AM
I've only played the demo so far, but I really enjoy it. The combat is very engaging and deep for a game like this. It never gets old for me. I'm even replaying the demo over and over just to get into more sword fights with this games combat engine. Yeah the no sound while fighting thing is a bummer, but I don't usually play iPhone games with the volume all that high anyway, so it didn't bother me that much.

Based on the demo, I can easily recommend paying .99 for the full game, and I plan to do so shortly myself.
06-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Ignore laurilamemo1208. He's a spammer, he'll be deleted shortly

This game looks good, i'll try it out, used to love those old Lone Wolf books!