★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

After all these years I still find there has nit been a amazing platformer.

06-22-2012, 10:07 AM
After all these years I still find there has nit been a amazing platformer.

I've played alot of them but I fine that nobody has made a amazing platformer on the scale of Mario's greatness, not saying we need a copy but somthing just everyone loves... I've played some that are decent but nothing epic.
06-22-2012, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markku View Post
I've played alot of them but I fine that nobody has made a amazing platformer on the scale of Mario's greatness, not saying we need a copy but somthing just everyone loves... I've played some that are decent but nothing epic.
LostWinds 1 and 2?

06-22-2012, 10:20 AM
This is nonesense. I can list at least ten great platformers on iOS. If you are looking for Mario, play on a Nintendo product.
06-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
This is nonesense. I can list at least ten great platformers on iOS. If you are looking for Mario, play on a Nintendo product.
@squarezero

I would love to see that platformer list of yours to make sure I haven't missed anything.

@Markku

If by "amazing" you mean the emergence of a AAA scale platformer franchise along the lines of Mario and Sonic then I would have to agree with you. We do have many isolated instances of excellent platformers and a few good ports but we have yet to see the emergence of an iOS native franchise in this genre.
06-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Giana Sisters?
06-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Try Crazy Hedgy. A real iOS gem.
06-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Nostalgia glasses, all the old game seems to be way better.
06-22-2012, 01:03 PM
After Squarezero has posted his top 10, can this thread be closed? But seriously, iOS has so many amazing platformers. It's like a platform paradise.
06-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Send a message via AIM to GlenMcKnight Send a message via MSN to GlenMcKnight Send a message via Yahoo to GlenMcKnight Send a message via Skype™ to GlenMcKnight
I honestly don't think you can expect to find a "great" platforming game on iOS. The lack of physical input will always make them feel "off" And without accuracy of input the components that make a "great" platformer will always be frustrating.

There is also much to be said about the goggles to the past. Super Meat Boy for XBLA is heralded as one of the greatest platformers since Mario. And whats interesting is the experience is completely different. It gives you more momentum, in-air control, and speed than you ever had in a Mario game. They are working on some form of iOS version of their game so it will be interesting to see how they convert the experience.

Glen.
06-22-2012, 04:55 PM
The games I'd say come as close to a Mario class platformer would be:

Frogato
Shante' risky revenge
Soozis
Fancy pants adv
Lostwinds(2)
Roboto
Terra noctis
Alien hominid
Robot wants kitty
Tale of the Japanese werewolf
commander pixman
Gunman clive
And not sure if it counts but Nyx Quest and dark nebula and 2

Even still u have great ones like

League of evil/2
Stardash
Meganoid
The last rocket
Lars
Undead ocean
Mos speedrun
Paper monsters
Cordy
Project 83313
Grimm
The adventures of Timmy
Kungfu rabbit
Storm in a teacup
1 bit ninja
Precepto
Piggly adventure
Cavorite
Trundle
Gears
Max and the magic marker
Get out of my galaxy
Mike and milkbox
Kale in Dinoland
The hook series

Played all those?

Oops I forgot Aquaria

Last edited by Darth Ronfar; 06-22-2012 at 04:58 PM.