★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Professional Sound Resource For Your Apps!

05-27-2009, 04:37 PM
#1
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 4
Professional Sound Resource For Your Apps!

Dear iPhone Devs,

I am a sound engineer looking to offer my services to the iPhone world. I work primarily in the Film/TV Industry. You have most probably seen my some of my work. My experience has ranged from sound asset creation to full blown sound direction and management on projects ranging from TV commercials, feature films, flash games, cross platform video game releases and web pages. I have experience managing sound assets/departments for film and video game projects. I am well aware and comfortable with the restrictions working with audio and mobile devices.

In terms of facilities, we have a fully functional post production studio with all of the latest software and hardware, including a brand new Digidesign (Pro Tools) approved '09 MacPro.

I am willing to do sound work for a couple of apps on a contract/deferred payment basis. I have a little bit of Objective C knowledge and have written some basic apps using the iPhone Dev Kit for fun, thus a further understanding of workflow/pipeline regarding iPhone development. I am passionate about my work and would like to contribute to the iPhone world during my time between major projects.

If you will require sound for your app, and realize how important a dedicated sound person is to your project then simply send me a PM or reply to this thread with your e-mail and we can discuss your proposal in a less formal fashion.

Sincerely

*References available upon request

-MTLA
05-27-2009, 05:12 PM
#2
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Pygmy Island
Posts: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLA View Post
Dear iPhone Devs,

I am a sound engineer looking to offer my services to the iPhone world. I work primarily in the Film/TV Industry. You have most probably seen my some of my work. My experience has ranged from sound asset creation to full blown sound direction and management on projects ranging from TV commercials, feature films, flash games, cross platform video game releases and web pages. I have experience managing sound assets/departments for film and video game projects. I am well aware and comfortable with the restrictions working with audio and mobile devices.

In terms of facilities, we have a fully functional post production studio with all of the latest software and hardware, including a brand new Digidesign (Pro Tools) approved '09 MacPro.

I am willing to do sound work for a couple of apps on a contract/deferred payment basis. I have a little bit of Objective C knowledge and have written some basic apps using the iPhone Dev Kit for fun, thus a further understanding of workflow/pipeline regarding iPhone development. I am passionate about my work and would like to contribute to the iPhone world during my time between major projects.

If you will require sound for your app, and realize how important a dedicated sound person is to your project then simply send me a PM or reply to this thread with your e-mail and we can discuss your proposal in a less formal fashion.

Sincerely

*References available upon request

-MTLA
hmm, I have contacted a developer and if all goes well, I(well mostly the developer, It's just my idea and my graphics) will have an app in the store soon, maybe I'll think about using some of your sfx.

You KNOW You like Pocket God!
Blinks | Join the Pocket God Forums NOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoctors View Post
i find quirky old men to be appealing. as main video game characters i mean.

05-27-2009, 05:49 PM
#3
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 443
Sound isn't cheap, Saint.

You know, I've always been interested in how people make custom sound... If I was a developer i'd hire you

Hey, anyone remember me? I used to be the #1 in Pygmies Eaten by T-Rex in PG.

I love to beta test. I've done about 5 or 6 apps. You can PM me if you want, I'm running an 8GB ipod Touch 2nd Generation. 3.1.2 Software also. Thanks.
05-27-2009, 06:28 PM
#4
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocked View Post
Sound isn't cheap, Saint.

You know, I've always been interested in how people make custom sound... If I was a developer i'd hire you
You are correct with that statement, sound ain't cheap! However as I stated in my previous post, I am offering my services on a contract / deferred payment basis. This means we would sign an agreement stating that I will do X type of work for your project and in turn you will pay me X amount of your FUTURE sales. Obviously the type of services rendered and numbers are subject to budget and project. That said if I am interested in a project I can be very flexible with payment.

I am offering this to contribute to the iPhone world and get my feet wet in the app scene. I will be doing this work between my every day work in film and video. That being said this is an opportunity to a select few of those who need professional quality sound without paying a large amount of money up front. Win, Win.

GL
P.s. we also do music

-MTLA

Last edited by MTLA; 05-27-2009 at 06:36 PM.
05-27-2009, 06:40 PM
#5
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 443
Saint wants his app to be free, so that wouldn't really work.

Can you tell me why sound is so expensive? I've always wondered...

Hey, anyone remember me? I used to be the #1 in Pygmies Eaten by T-Rex in PG.

I love to beta test. I've done about 5 or 6 apps. You can PM me if you want, I'm running an 8GB ipod Touch 2nd Generation. 3.1.2 Software also. Thanks.
05-27-2009, 06:40 PM
#6
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Pygmy Island
Posts: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLA View Post
You are correct with that statement, sound ain't cheap! However as I stated in my previous post, I am offering my services on a contract / deferred payment basis. This means we would sign an agreement stating that I will do X type of work for your project and in turn you will pay me X amount of your FUTURE sales. Obviously the type of services rendered and numbers are subject to budget and project. That said if I am interested in a project I can be very flexible with payment.

I am offering this to contribute to the iPhone world and get my feet wet in the app scene. I will be doing this work between my every day work in film and video. That being said this is an opportunity to a select few of those who need professional quality sound without paying a large amount of money up front. Win, Win.

GL
P.s. we also do music

-MTLA
oops, well nvm then - I usually get my sound off of free, legal sources online

You KNOW You like Pocket God!
Blinks | Join the Pocket God Forums NOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoctors View Post
i find quirky old men to be appealing. as main video game characters i mean.
05-27-2009, 06:53 PM
#7
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 443
Just thought of something, MTLA, you could do one of those sound apps. I enjoy them.

Hey, anyone remember me? I used to be the #1 in Pygmies Eaten by T-Rex in PG.

I love to beta test. I've done about 5 or 6 apps. You can PM me if you want, I'm running an 8GB ipod Touch 2nd Generation. 3.1.2 Software also. Thanks.
05-27-2009, 07:30 PM
#8
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocked View Post
Saint wants his app to be free, so that wouldn't really work.

Can you tell me why sound is so expensive? I've always wondered...
Sound has always been the bastard child. You have to factor in a lot of things; equipment costs, cartage (moving equipment costs), training, experience, time, and I'd go as far as saying passion and creativity.

On a basic level, in order to record sound one would need:

- microphone
- boom/grip/stand to hold your mic
- mixer/pre-amp to raise and lower mic input levels and match electrical impedance
- recording device, can sometimes be a video camera, but a standalone device is usually preferred.
- cables to connect all of this and headphones to monitor what your recording!

An entry level kit like this can get pretty expensive and most sound recordists/mixers require much more than this. You can take a look at some basic kits and pricing over here at Trew Audio.

We can then add wireless packs, lavalier (wardrobe) mics, stereo even surround mics. Audio is a very creative field and there are countless ways to achieve a goal. Sound is not what gear you own, but how you use it (thats what she said?) . Training and experience is required to accquire the skill sets needed to get the job done. Passion and creativity then add to further the quality of work.

Thats just the tip of the iceberg. Once you've captured sound for a project there is generally much more to be done depending on the medium that it will end up on. A basic Pro Tools system is thousands of dollars, and for some includes another tens of thousands of dollars in plugins and expansion software or hardware.

I cant begin to explain the depth of the sound world but if you are interested, I would take a look over at filmsound.org. You can learn a lot about what goes on behind the scenes in your favorite hollywood films.

This FAQ may also help clear some things up

Quote:
oops, well nvm then - I usually get my sound off of free, legal sources online
On the note of free sounds. Creative commons is a great thing. If you can make use of free rights work and credit the creator then great! If you record it yourself its free too :-) When it comes to big projects and people are putting in a lot of money, the last thing they want to hear is thier title screen "whoosh" on some guys Halo machinima

I believe sound is one of the important components of a project and salute producers and developers who consider this during pre-production. Bad sound always makes a bad picture!


Hope that helps, back to work for me

Cheers - MTLA

Last edited by MTLA; 05-27-2009 at 07:48 PM.
05-27-2009, 07:56 PM
#9
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 443
I like Halo Machinimas, which is actually why I'm so interested in sound... I'd give credit to anyones work I'd used of course...

Can you reply to my suggestion about SFX app?

Hey, anyone remember me? I used to be the #1 in Pygmies Eaten by T-Rex in PG.

I love to beta test. I've done about 5 or 6 apps. You can PM me if you want, I'm running an 8GB ipod Touch 2nd Generation. 3.1.2 Software also. Thanks.
05-27-2009, 10:04 PM
#10
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocked View Post
Just thought of something, MTLA, you could do one of those sound apps. I enjoy them.
Quote:
Can you reply to my suggestion about SFX app?
Sure, Im not sure what you meant by this though. Are you suggesting some kind of sound board?