★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Disney Pixar Up is released

05-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Disney Pixar Up is released

Anyone want to TOFTT? I love Pixar films, but have yet to love a Pixar game...

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=317203160&mt=8

The Official UP iPhone game takes players on an exotic adventure with Carl Fredrickson and his young sidekick, Wilderness Explorer Russell, as they set off on a wild journey taking them all the way to the undiscovered jungles of South America.

Attached to his house, Carl unleashes a mass of helium-filled balloons into the sky, Carl charts a course south then settles into his easy chair. As the house floats along serenely at 10,000 feet, there’s a knock on the front door. Carl has a stowaway. A young, Wilderness Explorer named Russell!

Help guide Carl and Russell on a journey of a lifetime!

The Official iPhone game of the Disney.Pixar motion picture
Two exciting game play modes
In adventure mode play through 24 exciting levels as you guide Carl’s house over tricky obstacles, rock formations, dizzying heights and weather challenges. Alternate between flying and dragging the house as you head towards South America
In Wilderness mode collect as many badges as you can, collect them all from each level and gain the coveted Wilderness explorer certificate!
Collect Balloons and helium to keep you moving through the air – Watch out! - If you run out the house will come crashing down!
Learn how to control a flying house with the in-game tutorial!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	up 1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	4120   Click image for larger version

Name:	up 2.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	4121   Click image for larger version

Name:	up 3.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	4122  

Click image for larger version

Name:	up 4.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	4123   Click image for larger version

Name:	up 5.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	4124  
05-27-2009, 06:15 PM
Aw, I would've loved to see them give a shot at 3D rendered graphics

05-27-2009, 06:16 PM
This looks atrocious.
05-27-2009, 06:32 PM
$5 again? I can't believe that these movie studios have the balls to charge $5 to advertise to us. OK, I can believe it, but geez. This crap should be given away for free inside Happy Meal boxes.

For the record, I am a big Pixar fan and am really looking forward to this movie. I generally don't mind supporting a venture that I find personally appealing, but I find it a little hard to swallow these $5 publicity stunts. I'll pass. The Angels & Demons "game" even looks better, visually, which is SAD considering how awesome Pixar is at the eye candy.
05-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drach View Post
Anyone want to TOFTT? I love Pixar films, but have yet to love a Pixar game...
Imagine, you come up with this great animated movie, you don't try to go for easy but quality and something a bit deeper, you manage to get a screening at the Cannes film festival, and then you go and ask $5 for something as pathetic as this??? My Nokia 3310 could probably handle this!

Playing: Solipskier, Edge, Ground Effect, Bobble Surfer, Minigore, 2012 Zombies vs Aliens, iSR, Pocket God, Slotz, Zen Bound 2, Crazy Snowboard, Vector Tank, ...
05-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Someone get me a kleenex I just toftt'd all over my keyboard.
05-27-2009, 06:52 PM
OK here's the deal with this game-

Some levels you fly the house around, to do this pressing on the screen makes the house go up but burns helium from your helium tank (which you can refill by getting balloon shaped power ups) when you take your finger off the screen your house slowly floats down. You can get in different wind drafts to float faster.

In other levels you have the old dude and the boyscout kid attached to the bottom of the house with rope and you can make the jump to avoid stuff by swiping up and control the house by touching the right or left side of the screen.

That's pretty much all there is to it. The only reason there really is to buy this game is if you have a kid who is just crazy about the Up game. And even then I'd put that $5 towards the Wii/360/PS3 game because it's probably about 500x better.
05-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Good review. Up is going to be epic, wouldn't be surprised if the movie is better than its predecessors.
05-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Sounds pretty much exactly what the screenshots suggested: Cave Flyer with a few bonuses. No thanks. I'm gonna go see the movie, but I'm going to pass on paying $5 for a Cave Flyer variant.

Jeez, Bolt was better than this, and it was free!

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
05-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Same, I will also see the movie, just cause I love pixar/dreamworks movies!

Add me on Plus/OpenFeint/Gamecenter/Crystal: redsoxsrule424
Moderator at Com2uS' forums: http://global.com2us.com/forums
Moderator in IMO: [-MD-]soxrock424 in Siras, on Wadangka!