★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

RPG Puzzle -> FREE

06-23-2012, 07:16 AM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
RPG Puzzle -> FREE

06-23-2012, 09:38 AM
That looks a little like Clash of Heroes. Time to download another game.

06-23-2012, 05:36 PM
The game is quite similar to Bad Apples or Battle Harvest Ė the same match three mechanism, but spiced up with upgrades of your units and ship, and a rather simple story. Good looking graphics and animations, controls work well. Apart from the main story there are also challenges - clear the field by matching your units. There are iAPs for in-game money, so far I was able to buy upgrades but I had to grind a bit for cash, and I havenít played long enough to say anything about iAP wall.

Overall worth downloading if you are into the genre.

Favorites: The Quest Gold + expansions, Mission Europa Collectors Edition, Ascension, Jet Car Stunts 2, Junk Jack X, King of Dragon Pass, Kingturn series, Mecho Wars HD, Mini Dash, Mos Speedrun, Ravenmark, Sonic series, Fall of Angels, Highborn, Solomonís Keep / Boneyard, pixel art games, remakes and ports of classic games.
06-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Terriffic little game, and an interesting take on match 3 that really works for me.

As mentioned above, there is some grinding, but it doesn't feel like grinding. It's designed in a way that you can always stay on that thin line between challenging and frustrating.

This one will likely stay on my device permenantly, and I'll have to check out some of the ones mentioned above.
06-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Follow up:

I checked out Bad Apples, and while the basic gameplay is similar, there are a few elements in RPG Puzzle that make it more interesting.

1. The dynamic of not just creating combos of your own, but also avoiding enemy combos adds another layer of depth.
2. The death character can be used in an offensive way to take out enemy "ammo", again giving another layer of strategy
3. The limited time adds an element of tension that keeps you more engaged

Also, Bad Apples is ad supported. I had Battle Harvest on my device at some point, but I deleted it...may have to check it out again.
06-24-2012, 03:02 AM
I didn't like it very much. The music is repetitive. The graphics are low quality and not retina supported. The gameplay is not very good. I don't know maybe I was waiting more because I thought it could be a mini-class of heroes (might & magic) and it wasn't. I wonder why CoH MM is not released for iphone. It would be shrinked but from not having at all, it would be good okay.
06-24-2012, 08:26 AM
I wanted it to be Clash of Heroes. Sadly it is not. It is still interesting. So far I like the puzzle mode better because I don't have to worry about making matches for my opponent.
It doesn't seem responsive enough. I had to make matches a couple times before it would register. This is probably because I have a 3GS.
I guess I was let down by my expectations and old phone.
06-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Agree that music and story are laughably bad, but they are easy enough to mute and ignore respectively.

But if you approach this simply as a puzzle game, it has some very interesting dynamics IMO.