★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Games you went back to and got hooked on?

06-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Games you went back to and got hooked on?

I do this a lot, actually. I buy games because they're either on sale or free, but for whatever reason (usually busy with a virtual stack of other games), I put them on the shelf after trying them for only a few minutes. Then a drought hits (usually around this time of year), and I start sifting through my backlog.

This time Aralon came up. I remember nabbing it when it went on sale (late last year, I believe it was), tried it, thought it was a decent attempt at a mobile Elder Scrolls, but the camera was a bit annoying and there were a ton of other games I was fooling around with at the time. So, I erased it and moved on. Just went back to it recently, and dang, if it isn't more than merely a shadow of the Elder Scrolls series. Honestly, I'm not sure any RPG could come close to that amount of depth, but for an on-the-go equivalent, this game is pretty fantastic.

So, what are some games you've push aside only to come back to and get hooked on?
06-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Chaos Rings. "Beat it" with one set of characters when it came out, then set it aside meaning to get back to it. A year and a half later, just as CR2 is about to come out, I decided to finish all 4+ playthroughs and I absolutely loved it. There is so much more to the game than I expected...

06-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Disc Drivin'. First got it a little over half a year ago, played it for a while, but got bored soon. Got it back like 1-2 months ago and have been playing it almost daily ever since.
06-26-2012, 06:24 AM
Pew Pew. Read about it somewhere on the internet and downloaded it, played for a while and though I liked it ,just forgot about it. Couple weeks later was getting bored so tried it again. Hooked!
06-26-2012, 08:10 AM
Hero Academy. I downloaded it, started it up, saw it was only two player, and quitted out. I didn't know the rules and didn't want to take the time to learn them while battling a real player.

Fast forward three weeks...

I was off work and decided to give it another try. I started a couple of games, began to understand the rules, started a few more games, and by the end of the day I had 25+ games going. From that point on, I've been hooked!

Current Favs: Summoner Wars, Carcassonne, Ascension, Ticket to Ride, Neuroshima Hex, W.E.L.D.E.R.

GameCenter: MustardCowboy
07-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Dangerous & GoF2: two games I never delete from my device.

Quote:
Currently: Playing
07-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Just another solitaire game but maybe with a rather nice theme is what I had thought of Fairway Solitaire and then buried it. Awhile later opened it up while on lunch break and my jaded outlook changed after a few courses.
Still going back to it to finish up some for the 3 stars.

Sworidgo is another I thought as just another platformer and never cracked it open till I had time to be curious. Now its become my main game as of a few days ago.

Last edited by Coldar; 07-07-2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: added another game
07-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youtopia View Post
Dangerous & GoF2: two games I never delete from my device.
If you never delete them, you're not really going back to them, are you . I wish I could have kept GOF2 on my device, but I purchased the Hd version and it is [b]gigantic[/]. Since you can upload a save to the cloud, I deleted it figuring I'de come back to it later (this was before the Valkarie expansion came out for the HD version).

I just re-downloaded Pleolithic Wars, a paid CCG type game which I originally downloaded for free; it was one of those release for free, begin charging the next day sort of situations. I've never seen it advertised or talked about, but it's a remarkably fun game, a bit similar to Playdek's newest. It's played on a board divided into 2 zones; terrain affects abilities and can be changed with cards, etc. I've probably played it for 4 hours solo between last night and today.

I know there are a lot of CCG, TCG, MTG, Ascension fans etc. on these boards; I'm a bit surprised no one seems to be familiar with it. No publicity is part of it I'm sure, but that goes along with games made by a single person, which I believe this was. Still, the community here loves to support the lone, mad scientist types, just look at Mission: Europa.
07-08-2012, 11:32 PM
Ziggurat, Space Tripper and Epoch.

I play Ziggurat basically every day, but when I first got it, I wasn't digging it.

Space Tripper was too frustrating for me at first, but now it's my go-to game when I want a shooter but my fingers are too friction-ish with the screen to play a normal shooter.

I really liked Epoch at first, but then got bored with the tedium, and then re-discovered my love for it when I broke up sessions into smaller dosages rather than playing it all day.
07-09-2012, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegly View Post
Ziggurat, Space Tripper and Epoch.

I play Ziggurat basically every day, but when I first got it, I wasn't digging it.

Space Tripper was too frustrating for me at first, but now it's my go-to game when I want a shooter but my fingers are too friction-ish with the screen to play a normal shooter.

I really liked Epoch at first, but then got bored with the tedium, and then re-discovered my love for it when I broke up sessions into smaller dosages rather than playing it all day.
I got to check out Ziggurat, curious to see what it is about since I never heard of it before.

You know for me, a lot of games made by popcap kind of are like this. This includes plants vs zombies, peggle, and chuzzle. All of these, I play for a while, then forget for a while, but keep going back. Now, after writing this, getting an urge to play plants vs zombies again.... See ya..