★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Wave Blazer!

11-23-2008, 02:00 AM
Wave Blazer!

Looks pretty cool! Anyone with a review?
The multiplayer functionality is cool - I wonder if it is only over WiFi though.
Edge or 3G multiplayer would be muuuuuuuuuch better!

I was about to buy TouchSports Tennis but I saw this and now I don't know which to get...
11-23-2008, 02:24 AM
Wave Race??
(Sorry, ben dreaming about Wave Race since I saw PowerBoat)

From the screenshots, the graphics don't looks as good as PowerBoat. I'd buy it if it's like WaveRace, but I think it's more like PowerBoat than WaveRace.

11-23-2008, 02:56 AM
So anyone played this? How does it compare to Powerboat?
11-23-2008, 07:59 AM
I've just purchased it.

This is an Arcade game. I mean, it has tight controls and don't have to break a lot or tilt the iPhone 360' just to make a turn/bend. It is less frustrating than PB for a casual game.

It has power-ups to e.g. Increase speed, a button (left) to adjust the boat position, an autopilot button (right) for a 15 sec driving help and a break that is just a touch on the screen (top or bottom part, I don't remember). Pause button is also there.

Those features clearly aim the casual user.

In GradPix mode you race against opponents and you can unlock another boats and tracks.

The first race was easy, the second one not so easy. Maybe track is a bit harder and/or opponents faster.

Then you have Time Trial and Arcade modes.

I could not test mutiplayer because I was alone there.

The graphics are just nice but it gives a better speed feeling than PB.

The engine is not perfect because collision is sometimes ignored (ghost opponents?).

Sound is just nice, nothing special.

One of the most annoying things it so input your initials to the high score. The system does not remember the last one and it's kind of hard to move the tiny letters row... Now I'm just entering AAA...

The game has jumps which is fun.

I read about boat upgrade but I'm not sure if it is just unlockable boats because I can't find a shop or something. Or maybe I just didn't race enough.

PB seems more complete but slower. WB is for casual gamer, it's faster and fun (the jump part at least).

If I would buy one of the two I would pick WB because I'm more a casual gamer that plays when I have a bit of free time.

Follow-up

It's really fun. The initial Grandpix races are labeled "Very Easy" and even the second one is kind of challenging.

The more I play the more I think that WB is the boat game for me, not only because the jumps and arcade power-ups style but also because the sense of speed is better in this game.

Last edited by Carlos-Sz; 11-23-2008 at 09:19 AM.
11-23-2008, 08:08 AM
steering is alright. the graphics are up to par, but powerboat racing looks definitely better than wave blazer.

a bit disturbing are the "hills" on the river.......i mean....water flowing upwards and then downwards is a bit weird.

so its not a bad game, but i still prefer powerboat racing. though i only played a few rounds, so this is just my first impression.
11-23-2008, 07:11 PM
I've found that boats get upgrades when you finish at least in 3rd place in two races. Along with boat upgrade, a new boat is unlocked as well as two more races.

Let me say again that this game is fun, have a nice speed feeling and jumps are a great addition to this kind of race.

Great game!
11-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Its awesome! But if your not sure, download powerboat lite. It sucks! The boats move like an inch a minute in Powerboat! Wave blazer is awesome!
11-24-2008, 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonFried123 View Post
Its awesome! But if your not sure, download powerboat lite. It sucks! The boats move like an inch a minute in Powerboat! Wave blazer is awesome!
I really liked Powerboat, one of the best racers out there IMO but this sounds even better, I like the multiplayer in particular.
11-24-2008, 02:51 PM