★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Wii U Discussion Thread

06-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Wii U Discussion Thread

This thread is for openly discussing the Wii U, a Nintendo console and a follow up to the Wii gaming system. The Wii U will have a pad/tablet controller, HD, and regular Wii games can be played on it. It is slated to come out Holiday 2012.

Last edited by Jacob007; 12-20-2013 at 02:36 PM.
06-27-2012, 07:45 AM
Has anyone else seen Project P-100? My most anticipated game besides Smash Bros 4.

06-27-2012, 08:06 AM
I imagine the Wii U will be much like the Wii... good for family/group multiplayer, slightly lacking for the hardcore gamer. Nintendo set the standard for motion control but I feel Msoft are catching up fast with Kinect... and the rumoured Kinect 2.0 + new console are more appealing to me.

I don't like the Wii U display pad at all. Who wants to keep switching their gaze between tv and pad? The additional touch controls for the latest Rayman looked like an irritating gimmick in a demo vid i saw recently.

Regardless, I'm sure Nintendo will continue to carve their niche in the market and do well with it.

Game Center - I BrEaKBEaT I
06-27-2012, 09:56 AM
I thought the Rayman Legends game looked awesome, especially the rhythm section. It's like combining Elite Beat Agents with a platformer. Brilliant if you ask me, but then EBA (and the Japanese-only sequels) is one of my favorite games of all time.

Also from what I've been reading, ZombieU actually sounds pretty awesome and a great use of the tablet.

Also I like that you can play the games on the tablet display only. They realized that many portable gamers play in their house, not just on the road. I guess the question, though, is will it work through walls, because I'd like the option of lounging in bed and playing games on the tablet display.

Alas, we've had a lot of expenses lately that are going to put off any WiiU purchase until next year at the earliest. Oh well.
06-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
I thought the Rayman Legends game looked awesome, especially the rhythm section. It's like combining Elite Beat Agents with a platformer. Brilliant if you ask me, but then EBA (and the Japanese-only sequels) is one of my favorite games of all time.

Also from what I've been reading, ZombieU actually sounds pretty awesome and a great use of the tablet.

Also I like that you can play the games on the tablet display only. They realized that many portable gamers play in their house, not just on the road. I guess the question, though, is will it work through walls, because I'd like the option of lounging in bed and playing games on the tablet display.

Alas, we've had a lot of expenses lately that are going to put off any WiiU purchase until next year at the earliest. Oh well.
I loved Rayman Origins, but that game was immense with a very simple control scheme that made everything flow nicely. I wonder if that'll be somewhat disrupted by the tablet aspect. Perhaps my bias lies, in part, with how much I like the ergonomics of the 360 pad.

With regards to playing games on the tablet... I think that could be a good pull for some as it'd free up the TV for others to watch programs etc... but then, is there a headphone socket? And do you really want to play those hd games on that low res tablet screen? And most importantly, will I have to get out of bed to power on the U, or can that be done from the tablet?

Game Center - I BrEaKBEaT I
06-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrEaKBEaT View Post
I loved Rayman Origins, but that game was immense with a very simple control scheme that made everything flow nicely. I wonder if that'll be somewhat disrupted by the tablet aspect. Perhaps my bias lies, in part, with how much I like the ergonomics of the 360 pad.

With regards to playing games on the tablet... I think that could be a good pull for some as it'd free up the TV for others to watch programs etc... but then, is there a headphone socket? And do you really want to play those hd games on that low res tablet screen? And most importantly, will I have to get out of bed to power on the U, or can that be done from the tablet?
The original Wii had a power button on the remote. But yea, It looks like my kinda thing. ZombiU got pretty good reception too.
06-27-2012, 11:14 AM
It has been confirmed that you can play Legends with the traditional Pro Controller. How else would Co-op work?
06-27-2012, 01:27 PM
What is the resolution and size (or PPI) of the tablet display? Has that been reported?
06-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo of America
Wii U™ GamePad

The Wii U GamePad™ controller removes the traditional barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the video game world. It incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 aspect ratio LCD touch screen, as well as traditional button controls and two analog sticks. Inputs include a +Control Pad, L/R sticks, L/R stick buttons, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons, ZL/ZR buttons, Power button, HOME button, -/SELECT button, +/START button, and TV CONTROL button. The GamePad also includes motion control (powered by an accelerometer, gyroscope and geomagnetic sensor), a front-facing camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, rumble features, a sensor bar, an included stylus and support for Near Field Communication (NFC) functionality. It is powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion battery and weighs approximately 1.1 pounds (500 g).
http://e3.nintendo.com/wiiu/

That is all that the official website says.
06-27-2012, 03:52 PM
I'm hoping the prices for the games are about $60, give or take. Due to the new HD games, I'm thinking Nintendo may increase the price of the Wii U games, but if they increase it too much, they won't sell.
And for the console, I'm paying $275 tops, I'm hoping for around $250, though. How about you guys?