Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-26-2012, 03:01 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Default Battles And Castles - By Evil Indie Games (Universal)

Old 06-26-2012, 06:31 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Battles & Castles - Turn Based Strategy by Evil Indie Games

Downloaded, will post impressions.

Last edited by undeadcow; 06-26-2012 at 08:52 PM..
Old 06-26-2012, 06:41 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=142127
Old 06-26-2012, 08:33 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Looks interesting, though I would love to see videos of gameplay! Hopefully someone will post their impressions as this sounds interesting and I am a big fan of the games this is supposedly inspired from! Will definitely keep my eye on this!
Old 06-26-2012, 11:36 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
Downloaded, will post impressions.
Looking forward to your comments.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:06 AM

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Looks Interesting. Looking forward to read you Guys Feedback about the Game. Thx for TOFTT.

Last edited by Sanuku; 07-05-2012 at 04:19 PM..
Old 06-27-2012, 11:02 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Early impressions are good. Battles and Castles feels like a mash-up of Minecraft, Warcraft, and turn based strategy.

There are 2 clans with 10 missions in each. You can have one game for each clan going simultaneously but saves are otherwise limited. Both "clans" appears similar in units and mission objectives (at least in the early levels) but the Battle Clan art design is darker and the Castle Clan more shining (similar to Order & Chaos, light versus dark). In addition to campaign mode there is also skirmish and multiplayer modes. There are 30 Game Center achievements.

I really like Battle and Castles' 3D playing field mechanics. The 3D levels feels highly interactive and detailed with grid based movement. Sometimes the 3d field gets in the way of movement when one character's "shadow" obstructs a square preventing movement from a counterpart. Otherwise the 3D playing field comes across as more immersive than I am use to seeing in turn based strategy games (Dungeon Crawlers was dark and dungeony, here things are bright and open creating a good sandbox feel). The 3d dynamics lend well to unit exploration and castle strategy. At the second level navagating through the 3D field of trees that partically obstruct view of an orc archer is great. Also, units can perch on top of buildings and combined with the unit line of sight dynamics (below) and the graphical angle there is a good feeling of space.

Movement options are shown by green circles and enemies turn glow red when they are within attack range. There seems to be an invisible implied line of sight attack limitation lending itself well to the "physics" of the game. Attacking pans the camera to a cinematic view behind the foe. Units can always move x squares per type and attack any point they are in range (attack/move don't seem to share "action point" style limits). Pinch to zoom, tilt iDevice to rotate screen, and tap on grids to move.

Castle building options become active in the second mission and are initially limited. I suspect the epic sprawling castles shown in the screenshots are accessible in later levels with good resource management. There is a resource management component where you must accumulate gold by completing missions or from mines (similar to Warcraft); but if you'd prefer there is a consumable IAP option to purchase gold with real money.

As with Evil Indie's other games the blocky cardboard graphic design (apparent in screenshots) might not appeal to everyone but I feel like they worked with the flow of the game.

Some improvements that would benefit Battles & Castles are ability to fast forward or skip watching enemy turn and the consumable IAP is disappointing even if it turns out to be un-necessary.

If I can get &^*#ing Display Recorder to work I'll post a video.

I recommend Battles & Castles after playing the first bit of each clan. Will post further impressions after more play time but so far it's been fun.

Last edited by undeadcow; 06-27-2012 at 03:53 PM..
Old 06-27-2012, 03:39 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Thanks Undead Cow for some awesome early impressions (once again!). Even a tentative early thumbs up from you is enough to get me press the buy button.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:33 AM

Aim also interrested in the game but would love to see some video footage before aim buying this game..
Old 06-28-2012, 07:59 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

That thorough first impression is enough for me to click the purchase button. will do so later today and post my impressions as well! So many good games released last night, I just wasn't ready to hot the buy button when this hit Tuesday, I had to do the wait and see and make all my high profile purchases before I can make the low ones hehe!